SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_368545405

Ficus Elastica: Please Help Troubleshoot & Transfer to Gritty Mix

De Villa
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi Everyone! I need some help with My Ficus Elastica aka Rubber Tree and hoping the community here could help shed some light and help me save my baby! I think it is suffering from sodium build-up and would like to understand what is going on and how to troubleshoot (if possible).

My Environment: I live in an apartment in Chicago (zone 5b). We have 4 seasons here, receiving snow and freezing temps in the winter and about 4 months of warm to hot weather in the Spring/Summer with our annual relative humidity averaging around 70% percent. My apartment has 3 large north-facing windows downstairs (medium-light with no direct sunlight) and 2 east facing skylights upstairs (med-high light, receiving some direct sunlight).

Background: I brought my rubber tree home in April of 2019. Soon after, I started watching Youtube videos on "indoor plant care" and "potting soil mixture for indoor plants", etc. After a couple of hours on YT, I thought (wrongly) I knew what I needed to do to help my plant thrive. I was determined to make my own soil using the "best" ingredients and made a mix of orchid bark, coco coir, perlite & worm castings, repot my plant, and flushed the soil with water. When my rubber tree started to rapidly decline I began to do some research and (thankfully!!) found Al's "Container Soils - Water Movement and Retention" discussion. At that point, I repot the rubber tree in its original nursery container using ~80% perlite to ~20% potting soil/bark mix while I set out to find the ingredients to make Al's Gritty Mix.

Fast-forward 5 months and my rubber tree is still in that 80/20 mix and up until recently, the plant has been fine. I was able to water it thoroughly every week and set it outside on the fire escape to receive direct sunlight a couple of hours every day.

I finally succumbed to buying Bonsai Jack's mix (which is great, just pricey) after watering like usual and then getting hit with a bunch of rainy grey days back to back. I ended up losing a couple of bottom leaves due to overwatering. The following week I skipped watering altogether and the next 2 weeks after that I watered in "sips" due to the forecast and in fear of overwatering.

Current Problem: 2 of the 3 stems have middle and bottom leaves that are curling inwards and drooping (have lost 2 leaves in the past 3 weeks so far) paired with wrinkly-looking stems. As a result of watering in "sips", I believe my rubber tree might be suffering from a salt build-up but I am not sure.

Does anyone know what might be the cause? What could I do to troubleshoot/? If the stems are wrinkled does this mean it is too late to save?

Transfer to Gritty Mix: I would like to transfer this rubber tree into the gritty mix and terracotta to get it ready for winter but am not sure how to do it safely to ensure my plant does not suffer any further. I am also new to planting in the gritty mix and am worried I am going to hurt the roots in the repot process. How do I repot without causing damage? How far down should the roots be when I repot? Do I need to water right afterward? Does the mix need to be soaked prior to repot? Will I need to fertilize and if so, how frequently?

Soil description copied from Bonsai Jack: "Our proprietary soil mix consists of 33% 1/4 Pine Bark Fines, 33% 1/4 Bonsai Block (calcined clay) and 33% Monto Clay (1/4 inch Turface) with a particle size of 1/4 inch for the absolute best soil ingredients for all acid loving plants including your succulents."

Misc: Are there any books/discussions/scholarly articles you could recommend to me that you feel I would benefit from? (house plants, container gardening, plants in general)

Sorry for the length of this post! If you got this far, thank you for reading! Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio