SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jgs_atx

range hood make-up air: thoughts on interesting white paper?

J S
4 years ago

I'm posting this link because I've been trying to understand the topic of make-up air for kitchen range hoods, and Houzz has been a great resource. Judging by some of the recurring themes on many make-up air threads, there really isn't a lot of good information out there. However, I did find this white paper -- I haven't seen it linked on Houzz (apologies if i missed it), and I thought it worth sharing:

https://fishnick.com/ventilation/designguides/CKV_Design_Guide_2_031504.pdf

It's a relatively old white paper (2004) concerning the design of make-up air systems for commercial kitchens, but a lot of what the authors say is, I imagine, applicable to home kitchens as well. It was pretty eye-opening. They hit a few themes repeatedly:

- the path of how make-up air enters the kitchen has very large effects on the performance of a range hood (i.e. how much stuff it captures from the cooking surface)

- "minimizing the discharge velocity of make-up air is key to avoiding detrimental impacts on hood capture and containment."

- "supplying makeup air... at a good distance away from the hood" also helps hood performance. See Fig 11. Their example is introducing makeup air from the (restaurant) dining room into the (commnercial) kitchen.

In particular, they have some great Schlieren images of thermal plumes from cooktops under various make-up air configurations.

To my untrained eye it seems unbiased and well-researched. Any thoughts on this from those on Houzz who (unlike me) actually know something about the topic of residential make-up air? Or do any folks know of similarly high-quality advice and discussion on this topic more geared towards home kitchens?

Make-up air really does seem like a rabbit hole of a topic...

Comments (6)