SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julius83

Roofers Damaged my Patio

julius83
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We just had our roof re-shingled. The roofers had their "drop zone" at the back of my house where we have a concrete patio made of 24" x 24" concrete slabs (sidewalk blocks). The workers put tarps down to collect the old shingles, metal flashings and other debris. They also threw down several full bundles of shingles to do the lower ledges. After final clean up, we noticed that three of the concrete slabs each had a huge crack down the middle which definitely were not there before. The project manager immediately stated they would be happy to pay for the cost of three new blocks. I'm thinking now they should have put down pieces of plywood to protect the drop zone in addition to the tarps.

The dilemma is that I have checked all local hardware and concrete stores and nobody carries this color anymore...it's sort of a tan rose color with a slate pattern. The patio was originally professionally installed over 12 years ago. The only blocks I've found that have a similar-ish pattern and same size are a dark charcoal color and are about $20 a piece.

I have tried to creatively think how I could rearrange the damaged blocks to less noticeable areas, but unfortunately, there isn't really any. I also thought of doing some sort of pattern with the charcoal blocks to mix in with the existing tan ones, but that would require more than 3 new blocks and a lot of my time and labour. Plus not sure that the two colours would look good together. Any ideas?

Should the roofer be dealing with this? I'm annoyed that I've spent all this time trying to find replacement slabs that don't exist. It's not only the cost of the blocks, but my time to source, buy and install and remove heavy blocks. If I leave the damaged blocks which are in a highly visible area, I assume the roofers will not provide any compensation.Would it be reasonable to request something like $250 credit for the damage? Advice on how to proceed?

The drop zone was directly in front of the window well area

Comments (8)