SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lncreath

Hallman range vs Ilve

Lacanchelust
4 years ago

I’ve been looking at the Ilve Majestic and have found the Hallman 48” range to look very similar. Does anyone have experience with Hallman ranges? Better yet, anyone know the differences between the two?

Comments (93)

• lucky998877
    3 years ago

Ben Hallman himself said that their range is the same as Ilve Nostalgie, no lower quality anything put in. But Ilve Majestic is in another category, even the weight says that...almost 200lbs heavier for the same size. Also, it costs over $10K.

• David L
    3 years ago

I have an Ilve Majestic 40", came with the house we bought. Easily the worst oven/stove I've ever used, including the cheap four-burner when I lived in an nyc apartment. It doesn't matter if it's pretty if it doesn't work.

I've had multiple regulators go out. The oven thermostat is currently not working and 350 is turning into 465. The main oven is small to the point that roasting anything large is very difficult - the walls are close enough and retain enough heat that mid cook adjustments (like dropping to 350 from 500 on a turkey, for instance) are impossible. The side rotisserie oven is too small for most things to begin with but the side rack holders remove another inch+ of space so anything you roast has to be trussed like a champ.

My burners go out. All. The. Time. Particularly the main, most powerful one. The front right burner is inexplicably the simmer burner, but that means the two burners on back are more powerful for something like pan frying but too powerful for a low simmer (a.k.a. inactive cooking). Why would you do that?

If I can find a 40" range to replace it I now intend to (not spending another $400 or so to fix a thermostat and I don't have a warranty because they don't transfer with home purchase. I have a feeling I'm going to need to drop back to a 36" and have an awkward gap or something.

• Related Discussions

Hallman gas range

Q

Comments (24)
    Michlene, My Hallman works great. No issues at all. Oven heats to 500 and it is conversion so it is fast. Have not tried rotisserie yet; concern about all the clean up, LOL as I did not order the self cleaning panels. I love the range, the color is awesome and everything works as it should. And it got here in about 12-13 weeks. My experience with Hallman has been awesome . Go for it. There are some bad reviews about communicating with the company. I did not have to talk to them at all. I ordered with Appliances Connection and it even had $30 off. LOL Good luck!!
    ...See More

Anyone know about Hallman Industries and their ranges

Q

Comments (8)
    I ordered the antique 48’ double oven 10-29-17 my first issue was the delivery. The delivery delivery it in my drive way and it was a dent on the door. Second I had to get a license Co. to install it because the delivery Co. didn’t do it. My first mind said to send it back but I decided to give it a try. It took a little time to figure how it worked. One of the things I didn’t like was so many steps you h e to go through to get it to come on. So this Sunday my oven would not come on. I called HD or course they said I had to call Hallman which I did. The person I spoke to at Hallman apparently didn’t listen or didn’t care so they didn’t write down what I explained whatwas happening. Someone was to get in touch with me by phone which didn’t happen. All of the sudden I get an email stating.. WHO INSTALLED THE RANE? YOU SHOULD CALL THEM BACK TO DOUBLE CHECK IT WAS INSTALLED CORRECTLY.. Now you know that pissed me off .. first I’m still under warranty plus I purchased 3yr. CUSTOMER SERVICE IN VERY RUDE PLUS AFTER THEY GET YOUR MONEY THEY DONT CARE!!! I’m not going to let this go!! until this matter is settled!! I do know that I won’t buy another HALLMAN PRODUCT!!! SO BUYER BEWARE!!!
    ...See More

Debating between a 36in Verona range or a Hallman range.

Q

Comments (12)
    Just moved into a home with a Verona oven. Have the owners manual but not answering specific questions... maybe someone here can? I purchased an internal oven thermometer since the Verona doesn’t have a digital temp readout. So that has helped... can anyone tell me which setting they use for baking? bake, conv bake, fan oven,? and which rack do you bake on? I’m doing ok with cooking...it’s just the baking (which is more precise) any helpful hints/tips are much appreciated! Thank you!
    ...See More

Ilve vs Hallman

Q

Comments (2)
    Oh no, that bad huh?
    ...See More
  • Teresa G
    3 years ago

Well, I've read so many comments on a few different forums. Most positive, some negative. Then I read about other ovens in the same price range and it's the same kind of thing. I ordered my Hallman, which will be here sometime in March and I'll give it a try myself. I'm confident all will be fine.

• lucky998877
    3 years ago

Teresa, you will love your Hallman. Using mine is one of the highlights of my day! Which one did you order? The double ring burner boils water so quickly!

• Teresa G
    3 years ago

i ordered the 36" dual energy range in emerald green. I can't wait!!!

• Teresa G
    3 years ago

So so pretty! I’ll post as soon as it’s installed. Due date is March so fingers crossed there aren’t any delays.

• Bjorn Bennett
    3 years ago

Lucky, that’s wonderful!

• lucky998877
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Thank you Bjorn!!. edited:...I should have said thank you Bjorn and Teresa...Bjorn asked me for a pic a few months ago on another Hallman thread, but my backsplash wasn't installed....

• kpennphotos
    3 years ago

Okay random question but about to order. My house does not have gas, it's all electric. Even my current range is hard wired into the wall (from the 80's) and I heard that's how Hallman is too which is to my benefit. However, with only having electric, the Dual Fuel range says it's gas burners and electric oven. Is there any way to have the burners on electric heat as well?

• lucky998877
    3 years ago

Their website is up today...it's been difficult to find it up and working...but the "refine your results" just keeps spinning... The power option lists 2 under "electric", but I can't make it actually pull it up. I would call them in TX.

• jennifernelson24
    3 years ago

I just ordered a 30 inch Ilve Nostalgie duel fuel. Can anyone tell me whey they chose Hallman over Ilve or vice versa? I chose Ilve because I have had good luck getting ahold of people in their corporate office, so was hoping if I have issues, this will make it easier. I am still not sure I picked the right one, or if it matters. I ordered it from Wayfair and it is supposedly coming end of Feb/March. It also has a 240 plug or can be hardwired (not sure if the Hallman does or not)., We will see!

• PRO
    413realty
    3 years ago

Does anyone know what kind of range this is and how I can get that flat cooktop on it?

• lucky998877
    3 years ago
  • HU-402381536
    3 years ago

I've been looking at the Hallman stove for several months now, and now I'm afraid to buy it! After reading the complaints, it's hard to to commit to purchasing it. This stove is exactly what I'm looking for. The LaCanche is about twice the price- anyone have a LaCanche?

• Jacqueline Allard
    3 years ago

I have been using my Hallman for 8 months without any issues. It’s a dual fuel - converted to propane. 🤷‍♀️

• Bjorn Bennett
    3 years ago

HU-402381536, the only issue I have had was the long delivery time. My Hallman has worked great, it looks amazing, and we use it every day.
    The LaCanche is more than twice as expensive, and the lead time is eight months. Go with the Hallman.

• lucky998877
    3 years ago

Zero problems with mine, short delivery time (once scheduled) because they had 10 of my ranges at their warehouse at the time... Hallman was actually kind enough to hold mine for 7 months because I wasn't ready for it. Could not be happier! I cook every day, I used to make custom cakes...this range delivers.

• Ellen Dow
    3 years ago

Hello Ilve owners and aspiring Ilve owners! We purchased our 30" dual-fuel Majestic oven just over one year ago. It is British racing green with brass trim, and it looks custom made for our design scheme, which is wonderful. Our major issue with the oven is that its internal fan which cools the electronics as necessary is very noisy. In the beginning, it didn't go on unless we were using the oven at a relatively high temperature, but now it goes on every time we use the oven. The fan stays on as the oven cools down as well, and recently, it cycles on and off multiple times for quite awhile during the cooling off period. Has anyone else experienced this?

• Teresa G
    3 years ago

@jennifernelson24 Hi Jennifer. I ordered the Hallman. They're made in the same factory and I believe them to be the same thing, just different names really. The Hallman is a US company and so far they've been very quick with responding to emails with questions and even pictures of ones in their warehouse when I wanted to see the actual colors. Mine is supposed to arrive around March 10th, which is perfect since my house is supposed to be done at the end of February. Yes, the Hallman also requires the electrical hookup like the one you ordered. Good luck with yours. I'm very excited to receive mine.

• Jeanne Slater
    3 years ago

If they are the same range than the Better Business Bureau complaints would be the same. They are not. There are many more complaints about Hallman than Ilve. I wish I would have checked the Better Business Bureau before purchasing.

• Teresa G
    3 years ago

Hi Jeanne. What are the issues that you're having with your Hallman? Has the company been receptive to helping you?

• jxamis
    3 years ago

@413realty I think that is a Lacanche range, based upon the bar/handle shape. It's my dream range just not my dream price...sigh.

• Joan Hayward
    3 years ago

Jxamis: It's not a Lacanche. They don't have windows on their ranges. I used to have one and lost it in the divorce. Now, I'm looking for something with a window. It was an amazing range but it does not help, not being able to peek at your souffle when their rising... The link was correct, it is an Ilve

• PRO
    AC Design Company, Inc PSC
    3 years ago

I have a white and with stainless and brass handles Hallman - I LOVE it! They told me 16 weeks for shipping - I received in 15 weeks! They delivered on time and totally worth the wait! All of instruction booklets and paper work read “live” the stainless spatula they sent is also stamped “live”
    Would like to know what the difference may be! I have had for 18 months and absolutely Love everything about it!

• nawlins
    2 years ago

I am looking at the Hallman and Ilve 40 inch ranges - does anyone have a 40 inch and if so, how do the 17 and 14 inch ovens work for you. We are in the process of finalizing our plans and do not want to make a decision I will regret. We can only do a 36 or 40 inch and I was hoping to forego a cooktop and wall oven to save on counter space and this seems like a good option.

• lucky998877
    2 years ago

@nawlins, as long as you buy knowing that you are not getting a regular size oven, I would do it! The range itself is wonderful! I feed a large family...those ovens would not have enough space for me. The company has been very good about answering any questions and replying quickly. My Hallman range is an absolute JOY!

• Gabriela Arleen
    2 years ago

Answering Inna question, The photo you show is from Go Go Gourmet, she said that the cast iron griddle you see is called a Coup de Feu and she said she loves using it. Hope that helps

• jbarr85
    2 years ago

Nawlins, just got my 40 “ iLVE. Like you, I had the same problem. I was looking to replace my Kenmore 40 “ duel fuel for years, but in late October the glass top shattered and expidited the process. Ordered my majestic duel fuel from a place In Sacramento near where my son lives. Saved at least 1000 dollars from Wayfair. I considered a Hallman, but from all the research I did, they are not the same as an iLVE. If something is half the price, there’s usually a reason. Had to buy new cookie sheets because of the oven size. Had 3 beautiful baking pans that wont fit, but I knew that going in.

• lucky998877
    2 years ago

Jbarr85, Ilve Majestic is NOT the same as Hallman, but Ilve Nostalgie is.

• jbarr85
    2 years ago

Ok. I knew you could get Hallmans thru Home Depot, but not much else

• Adrienne m
    2 years ago

@Jacqueline Allard What color are your cabinets? it looks great with the white stove

• Jacqueline Allard
    2 years ago

Adrienne m the color is decorators white by Benjamin Moore

• samanthafw314
    2 years ago

Hi all,

I was reading that it is impossible to simmer on a Hallman range, as the burners are too hot, and that the metal knobs heat up and can burn you after you've been baking for 10 minutes. These are my two biggest concerns. Have any Hallman owners experienced these issues?

• Bjorn Bennett
    2 years ago

Samantha, neither thing has been true in my case, and we have had the 48” range for more than a year and a half. Even on the powerful pot-boiling burner, you can turn it down to simmer.

My only complaint about that one is it takes 15-20 seconds to start it. All the others jump right on.

I hope that helps.

• lucky998877
    2 years ago

@samanthafw314 I have been using my 48" Hallman every single day for 15ish months now. I've never had a knob get even warm... and I bake pizzas at 500F (on a stone) sometimes. The simmer burner is amazing! There is only 1 option for a very low simmer, it's the inner ring of the power (double ring) burner. I use it for rice all the time. There is also another double ring burner but it cannot be turned down to just the inner ring....it works great as a wok burner. I absolutely LOVE my range.

• samanthafw314
    2 years ago

@lucky998877 @Bjorn Bennett Thank you both so much for the insights! Feeling much more confident in this purchase now!

• samanthafw314
    2 years ago

@lucky998877@Bjorn Bennett Hi there, if you all have 36 in Hallman stoves, may I ask what range hoods or inserts you are using?

• lucky998877
    2 years ago

We both have a 48". My hood is a 48" 1200 cfm Zephyr stainless chimney...I love it!

• Jacqueline Allard
    2 years ago

i thought the 48 would be huge but it’s not - i have Best hood insert with custom wood hood over it for a 36”- It really is the ”best” - no smells in my house from cooking!

• Sophie Cole
    2 years ago

Hello! something strange haooened to me and i wanted to see if anyone had insight. I had worked with an Ilve consultant (out of New Jersey) at the begininng of the year to quote out an Ilve Nostalgie 48inch range. I chose Ilve over Hallman mostly because I had heard bad things about Hallman’s customer service. Well personal stuff came up and we had to post-pone our kitchen renovation to 2022, when i went to contact the Ilve rep to finally complete my order I received an OOO/maternity leave email bounce back. Not a big deal (congrats to her!) but the sales phone number her OOO email provided was answered by someone who answered as ”Hallman.” Are they now the same company? Also the price went up $2,000 from January.. crazy!

• PRO
    413realty
    2 years ago

Can you guys share what settings you use to cook meals! im having a hard time foguring it out,🤣🤣

• lucky998877
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@Sophie Cole, I have had the BEST customer service from Hallman! I originally bought straight through them, but wasn't ready for the range. They held it in their warehouse for 6 months! Delivery was right on time. I needed the range calibrated, and they provided a tech via phone to walk the repair guy through the needed steps of manual calibration. I ordered an extra small oven rack, that was shipped right away. Karin used to be my contact a while back, now it's Bailee. Both were not only great at addressing my concerns, but also such nice people!

@413realty, there is a Hallman/Ilve group in facebook that has lots of info regarding how to use these ovens.

• Julie Peabody
    2 years ago

@jbarr85 where did you buy your range in Sacramento? i want to order one!

• jbarr85
    2 years ago

Capitol Wholesale. My son lives in that area and happened to stumble upon them by accident. He was amazed when he went in there. I did everything with them by phone or email ( I live in Upper Michigan) and they were very helpful and professional. They ordered it , received it, and shipped it, and all went off without a hitch. It literally traveled halfway around the world and arrived in perfect condition.Feel free to ask any other questions. Best of luck

• Kenzie Cheek
    2 years ago

@lucky998877 I have a Hallman 48 inch on hold. I cannot vent out of my house. I have to have a ventless, recirculating hood. Do you know anyone that has a 48 inch dual fuel with a ventless hood? I am looking at a Zephyr AK9546AS. Thanks for any help/advice you can give. I only have 72 hours to make my decision.

• lucky998877
    2 years ago

@Kenzie Cheek sorry, I don't about the ventless hoods...and I would probably not do a 48" range unless I was able to do a really good vent. Is there really no way?

• jwvideo
    2 years ago

@Kenzie Cheek

Don't recall seeing much of anything about the ventless Zephyr but, if you haven't already done so, you might check out the Vent-a-Hood ARS system which has a 48-inch model. Those are expensive but there has been a long running and mostly favorable thread here on ARS hoods which, if you haven't already found it, can be found here: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2347276/vent-a-hood-ductless-ars-range-hood-update 

• Larry Wasson
    last year

Considering the Hallman 36"range and can't decide between a gas or electric oven? Has anyone done a custom color? ILVE does it for an additional $500, and not sure what the Hallman cost.

• Larry Wasson
    last year

For those interested in a French Cooktop ILVE Range. The French top is not a griddle explained here.

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs