Police: Fake Hate Crime : Ex-NFL player trashed his...

margaritadina

...2 businesses to make it look like a hate crime

Perhaps his next venture will be opening up a fake news website with Jussie Smollett?

He’s a former NFL player who couldn’t hack it. Apparently business wasn’t his thing either. Police have arrested him over accusations that he trashed a restaurant and an ice cream shop he owned near Atlanta to make it look like a hate crime.

According to Gwinett County police, they found the n-word, “monkey,” “MAGA” and swastikas left on the booths and walls of the two businesses, Create & Bake Pizza and Coughman’s Creamery in Lawrenceville.

On Thursday, 31-year-old Edawn Coughman of Buford, was arrested. He’s charged with falsely reporting a burglary, insurance fraud and concealing a license plate. He’s since been bonded out of jail.

Police sent out a news release about the incident. They said that on Wednesday night, an officer responded to a 911 call reporting a man damaging the restaurant and the ice cream shop and getting away in a truck without a license plate.

It looked like someone had broken in through the back door of the restaurant.

Here’s where it gets good. They caught up to the truck and pulled it over. Who was driving it?

They say it was Coughman, the owner of the damaged businesses. Police said in the truck were several TVs that appeared to have been ripped from a wall.

According to police, Coughman said he had noticed the damage earlier in the day and called his insurance company to report it. He told them he didn’t dial 911.
“It’s possible he was trying to stage this as a hate crime,” Cpl. Michele Pihera said.

Funny how things worked out, he said.
“We don’t know if he was trying to get attention for this. What we do know is, if that witness had not called us and if those officers had not responded as quickly as they did, we would probably be sitting here talking about a completely different crime in which Mr. Coughman would be trying to say he’s a victim.”

Coughman’s football career didn’t last very long… and apparently his business career won’t either.

He was signed out of Shaw University to the Seattle Seahawks practice squad in 2012. He spent parts of the next season with the Dallas Cowboys and Buffalo Bills, then went on to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2014 and then the Washington Redskins later that season.

Now he’s in jail, which seems to be a familiar place for many in the NFL.

And those reporting fake hate crimes… unless, of course, they get a pass.

Speaking of… on a more positive note, the Jussie Smollett case was reopened in June.

It’s no secret that police are ripping mad over the Jussie Smollett case being totally dropped. But now with the case being reopened, it’s game on. And they’ve started by releasing nearly 70 hours of video footage, including body cam video of the alleged staged attack.

The same body cam that Smollett asked police to turn off as soon as he realized they were recording.

In case some need a recap of the Jussie Smollett saga, here goes.,,''

We all remember stupid Smollett, there is no need to post info about his crime again.

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/police-ex-nfl-player-trashed-his-2-businesses-to-make-it-look-like-a-hate-crime/

SaveComment42Like
Comments (42)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Carro

Hate crime. Thanks for posting.

1 Like Save    
Eat Well

Thread number one.

Save    
margaritadina

I know. Carefully omitted ))))

2 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Wow.....quite the editorializing going on there.

Save    
elvis

"Editorializing"? Perhaps you'll enjoy CNN's report more than you did margaritadina's source: Some things you can't wish away, joanie. People really do play the race card, sometimes for very twisted and nefarious reasons. The facts in both articles look very similar to me.

True, the OP piece contained was cynical, we can all thank Smollett for that. Smollett's crime was much more heinous than anything he can ever be charged with: he may have robbed future true victims of the credibility they deserve.

(CNN)A former NFL player is facing criminal charges after he allegedly destroyed his business near Atlanta to make it look like a hate crime burglary, police said.

Edawn Louis Coughman, 31, was arrested Thursday and charged with false report of a crime, insurance fraud and concealing a license plate, police said in a statement.

Coughman spent four seasons in the NFL. He played for several teams, including the Washington Redskins, the Dallas Cowboys and the Arizona Cardinals, CNN affiliate WSB reported.

Officers first responded to the scene after a caller reported that someone inside Create & Bake Pizza and Coughman's Creamery was damaging the business. The witness also reported the suspect was driving a black car without a license plate.

Authorities confronted Coughman, the owner of the business, after they saw him driving the described vehicle nearby, police said. They noticed "several televisions in the bed of the truck and inside the cab," some of which were "still attached to the brackets with damaged drywall," police said.

When they went inside the business, officers saw several words and graffiti symbols on the walls and booth cushions in black spray paint, police said. They also saw "racially-motivated words," swastikas and the word "MAGA."

"Several booth cushions were sliced open. They also found broken mirrors, cut wires, and a damaged video surveillance system. The smell of spray paint was very fresh. When officers touched it, the paint appeared wet," police said.

CNN has made repeated attempts to reach Coughman by phone and email but has not heard back. He was released on bond Thursday. Information on Coughman's attorney was not immediately available.

Coughman told police he had noticed the damage earlier in the day and called his insurance company to report the damages but did not call 911, the statement said.

After he was arrested, police found a yellow crow bar and cans of black spray paint in his vehicle.

"It appears as though Edawn conjured a premeditated plan to damage his own property, attempt to make it appear as a hate crime, file a claim with his insurance company, and sell off the undamaged appliances and electronics," police said. https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/14/us/former-nfl-athlete-hate-crime-business-trnd/index.html

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

I find it so interesting that these staged hate crimes like to use the MAGA because they know they will get sympathy from the left and favorable coverage from the news media. It is like MAGA is a given pass as the left will defend anything anti Trump. I hope they charge Smollet and Coughman with hate crimes against Trump.

5 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

ELVIS:

True, the OP piece contained was cynical, we can all thank Smollett for that. Smollett's crime was much more heinous than anything he can ever be charged with: he may have robbed future true victims of the credibility they deserve.

QUEENMARGO:

I find it so interesting that these staged hate crimes like to use the MAGA because they know they will get sympathy from the left and favorable coverage from the news media. It is like MAGA is a given pass as the left will defend anything anti Trump. I hope they charge Smollet and Coughman with hate crimes against Trump.

Excellent points in each of these posts!.

Smollett is the POSTER CHILD for heinous RACISM, and a smug little thug at that.

While I do not agree at all with the concept of a "hate crime" (a crime is a crime is a crime and should be punished for the act--it is a slippery slope to convict and punish someone for what someone else THINKS they are thinking when they commit that crime) if they're going to be used, then by all means, yes this is a crime against President Trump because they use his campaign slogan and thereby causes damage and harm to him, to his supporters and stir hate, and perhaps other crimes.

As I say, keep it up, keep it up, we see the libs.

5 Likes Save    
Carro

queenmargo

With the steady rise in hoax hate crimes, particularly crimes which involve framing white Trump supporters, we need to examine the punishment for framing people for hate crimes.

Is that a hate crime?

While I'm not into labeling hate crimes to distinguish them from other crimes of the exact same nature, perhaps punishment should be meted out differently when the motivation is...hate.

2 Likes Save    
margaux

Are you saying you now want attacks of white Trump supporters to fall under hate crime laws? White Christian conservatives are sure getting good at playing the victim card at the same time they condemn others for playing the victim card. Hypocrisy at its finest!

I bet blacks wish they could take off their skin color as easily as Trump cultists could remove their MAGA hats.

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

Pathetic.

2 Likes Save    
maifleur01

While this man is an idiot because insurance fraud investigators are good at least he chose a group that would do what he tried to do.

Save    
elvis

So you're defending what Cloughman did?

Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"Are you saying you now want attacks of white Trump supporters to fall under hate crime laws?"

I would hope anyone who files a false police report is held accountable under the law. Fake reports are designed to sow distrust and division, and to create an environment where nobody feels safe. A fake "hate" crime is a crime against an entire community, and deserves to be treated as such.

4 Likes Save    
maifleur01

Only saying that groups that would do this were used accurately.

Save    
elvis

Irrelevant unless you're looking for an excuse for this alleged criminal.

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

Are you saying you now want attacks of white Trump supporters to fall under hate crime laws? White Christian conservatives are sure getting good at playing the victim card at the same time they condemn others for playing the victim card. Hypocrisy at its finest!

A hate crime is a hate crime no matter the skin color.

2 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

People are fond of claiming they were attacked and family members murdered by black men. It is a go to scenario far too often. We do not post that here as examples of something or other because it isn't.

1 Like Save    
elvis

You base this statement on what?

Save    
Eat Well

It’s called a racial hoax. People of all colors falsely accuse other races of crimes. Whites are more likely to be hoax perpetrators.

Feel free to use a search engine to learn more.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_hoax

Save    
margaritadina

The table seem to turn now. The second fake crime that hit the web in months. With the same theme - MAGA.

This guy forgot the noose ))))

Do these people even realize that by them shouting ''wolf !'' no one will believe a real racial crime victim?

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Susan Smith, Amanda Knox, Charles Stuart for a start. They all claimed a black man killed someone and they were lying to divert attention from themselves. If I were to look it up I could come up with some more.

Save    
numbersjunkie

Amanda Knox was aquitted.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Amanda Knox originally fingered a black friend saying she saw him go into the apartment. When it became evident that it wasn't true she said she said it under duress. Still she said it. the easy out. She did and said several strange things none of which meant she was guilty but she did in fact try to throw suspicion on a black man. A too common go to for people.

Save    
margaritadina

Knox's and other cases are different. No political flavor. Smollett's and this one involve politics.

1 Like Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Using blacks as the go to person to accuse of a crime is a part of the racist hate filled world that blacks live in. It is a hate crime.

Save    
queenmargo

patriciae- those who accuse blacks falsely of a crime is a racist hate crime. Those who use MAGA and falsely set up a HOAX to do harm to this president are hate crimes. Hate is Hate no matter what the color.

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

You can not give blacks a pass on hate crimes because some whites or others have done hate crimes against them. Throw the book at all of them.

2 Likes Save    
Carro

queenmargo

patriciae- those who accuse blacks falsely of a crime is a racist hate crime. Those who use MAGA and falsely set up a HOAX to do harm to this president are hate crimes. Hate is Hate no matter what the color.

Statistics are color blind.

3 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Carro:

Statistics are color blind.

If only the left race baiters were.

2 Likes Save    
margaux

We aren't the ones digging through regional crime reports to find stories about a black person who committed a crime and then rushing here to post it.

1 Like Save    
Stan Areted

margaux

We aren't the ones digging through regional crime reports to find stories about a black person who committed a crime and then rushing here to post.

No, "you" as in leftists--are the ones digging through libelous newspapers and statements of liars without checking them out to ruin the reputations of innocent people and spreading the lies.

So, if an event is reported in a 'REGIONAL" crime report--that makes it not as important as reported, where, like the lying New York Times?

DO you understand how preposterous that sounds? As though any FACT or any CRIME reported in a "regional" area--whatever you mean by that--I suppose not on the east or west coast--is unimportant.

Keep it up.

That arrogance is exactly why Donald Trump is POTUS and your candidate is a wine swilling bitter loser.

2 Likes Save    
margaux

Sorry, I didn't know that the topic was "compare and contrast the reporting of Justice Kavanaugh's latest weenie scandal with a former NFL player staging a hoax crime". I'll try to make better connections in the future so I can "keep up".

Preposterous, you say?

Save    
elvis

margaux

We aren't the ones digging through regional crime reports to find stories about a black person who committed a crime and then rushing here to post it.

No, you would be the one digging through regional crime reports to find stories about a white male person who allegedly committed a crime and then rushing here to post it.

4 Likes Save    
margaux

We wouldn't have to. We could look at local news just about any day of the week and find a white male arrested for a crime.

You've posted regional stories about black men committing crimes. Maybe you can explain the motivation.

1 Like Save    
Carro

No, you would be the one digging through regional crime reports to find stories about a white male person who allegedly committed a crime and then rushing here to post it.

So nailed it.

2 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

What difference does it make what color a person's skin is?

A crime is a crime is a crime.

If only the left would stop separating and labeling people based on their skin color, their looks, their sex.

2 Likes Save    
margaux

Go to Carros' Minneapolis thread and tell her that. She's been pushing the narrative that the race of the criminals and the victim matters.

1 Like Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

My entire point is that I would not think of posting the sort of crimes I listed as being representative of anything. It might happen all to frequently and black people might suffer all too often but I would not smear all white people as being capable of doing such a thing nor assume no black person did in fact murder someone's loved one. I am not cherry picking the police blotters of America looking to support some sort of scenario.

Save    
queenmargo

You've posted regional stories about black men committing crimes. Maybe you can explain the motivation.

Maybe because there are so many and they make the news just like the white ones committing crimes?

Save    
margaux

I asked for elvis' and Carro's motivation for posting regional crimes involving blacks on Hot Topic. Have you ever seen them post regional crimes involving whites? No, you don't. Regional crimes aren't of much interest outside of the region. So what is the point of posting them besides the fact that the criminals are black? As Stan just asked, what difference does the color of their skin make?

1 Like Save    
margaritadina

''

margaux

We
aren't the ones digging through regional crime reports to find
stories about a black person who committed a crime and then rushing here
to post it.

''

The crime that took place in the region stays in the region? Doesn't work that way, regions constitute the country .

I posted the article about this crime because it seems that politically flavored hoax hate crimes targeting Reps remain stupid but becoming not unique. And it's important to be aware of these crimes.

Save    
Stan Areted

It's difficult to find out any description of criminals on the run now--they know identifying information but refuse to release it because they won't say color of skin, hair, only clothing worn.

So more criminals get away without a good description.

Maybe one reason is there aren't so many whites comitting certain crimes as there are blacks--it depends on location and type of crime. Conversely, there may be more whites committing certain crimes in certain geographical areas and types of crimes than blacks.

Same true of Latinos, ASIANS, Canadians, women, men, teenagers.

I do not recall any liberal poster here posting any crime committed by a black person in a negative light, only supporting victim status for the perpetrator.

Jesse Smollett lovers of racist hoaxers.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Fun Houzz 10 Things People Really Don’t Want in Their Homes
No love lost over fluorescent lights? No shocker there. But some of these other hated items may surprise you
Full Story
Community How Your Landscaping Can Keep Burglars Away
Prevent home break-ins with strategic landscaping and good practices instead of menacing — and maybe less effective — measures
Full Story
Life Oh Yeah, There’s a Snake in the House
A Houzz contributor lives through her worst nightmare and comes out the other side with lessons learned and new footwear
Full Story