SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeanjeanremodelmachine

Blinded By the Light (of bright white cabinets---yikes)

Mittens Cat
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Our matte white cabinets are SO white, I can't find a white paint that doesn't look a little dingy in comparison.

Originally, we were going to do all walnut cabinets. But at the last second, we got spooked thinking an all walnut kitchen would be too dark, so we hesitantly decided to do the white + wood look instead.

Now that I'm trying to pick paint colors, I am perplexed on how to choose a white paint that works for something very warm (walnut) mixed with something very cool--cool to the point of frozen. Not that I wasn't warned: the cabinet color (the only white matte my cabinet maker offered) is called Arctic White, after all! (I didn't really notice its brightness at first, but now I've renamed it: Atomic Flash.)

I'm also having a tough time choosing a white quartz, though right now probably going with Pental's Thassos White.

One paint store employee suggested ditching white as a paint color altogether and going with a pale blue or another color. She said she didn't see any other way to get around the dingy issue. But our kitchen is part of a larger open living space, so I'd rather do white walls all around.

Anyone have thoughts on how best to pull this off? The cabinets will be set against a sloping ceiling, so the paint will only be seen above the cabinets, in a triangle shape roughly 6' high at its peak by 10 feet wide. Maybe I can just stick a bunch of plants up there and hide whatever "dinginess" unfolds?

And if you're wondering about a backsplash color...I'm leaving that till later--and hoping it'll help tie everything together?

Thanks Houzz Hive! p.s. I know the white below doesn't look *that* bright, but just imagine it almost hurts your eyes to look at it. That's more accurate!

Comments (46)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!