SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_492140245

Here goes....floor plan feedback

M R
4 years ago

Let er rip! Not actually a 3 car garage...that was an error, actually 2. Also adding a window to second wall in master bedroom. This is around 3300 sq ft not including room above garage. I’d like to see it closer to 3,000. Any ideas?

Comments (78)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I ask about the site because that is the first consideration when designing a home. If I were designing the house I would want to know the site's size, shape, orientation, soil conditions and barring capacity, water table level, any bodies of water on or nearby, topography, vegetation, prevailing winds, views, what's on adjacent properties, what is downwind, if sewer and electric and natural gas is available, traffic volume, State, county, and township to start. All these factors effect the design and without knowing them it is difficult to effectively evaluate a design.

I see a lot of inefficiencies in the layout. Things like two sinks in a bathroom with no counter space, bedrooms opening up to a living room and main entry, double doors into a small walk-in closet where the hanging turns two corners, and a lot more I do not have time to list. A simple thing like moving a bedroom closet one foot can make the second floor laundry room more functional and a more pleasant space to be in.

In the existing plan, moving the closet one foot may negatively effect the bedroom in ways unknown to me, but I hope you can see how better spaces could have been achieved in the initial design. "

Based upon the description of the site "on a farm in the middle of a pasture" I would venture to say that there are better designs that can take better advantage of the site.

M R thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • jslazart
    4 years ago

If there's an actual door there (not a secret passageway behind a bookcase or something), I don't see how it would be different from a closet or jack-and-jill bathroom. But it is worth thinking about.

M R thanked jslazart
  • Related Discussions

Here goes..newbie new build exterior help and interior feedback please

Q

Comments (33)
    To piggyback on Virgil's comment...could you design the empty nest space on one floor with separate climate zones so that later on you can completely close off part of the house unless you have guests. This makes perfect sense. Specifics I'd care about: - Place everything you and your spouse will need once you're "empty nesters" on the first floor ... and make sure it's elder-friendly. - This is an ugly thought, but it's realistic: It's easy to consider you and your spouse living in this 4000 square foot house together as empty nesters ... but one day one of you will be widowed. Will 4000 square feet still feel okay then? - Put the kids' bedrooms upstairs, but make sure you can close off that space when no one's using it. Be sure you have at least one bedroom that can hold at least a queen bed so that visiting adult children (who bring along a spouse) can be housed comfortably, and think about a room that could become a grandchildren's room. - This upstairs space might one day be needed for a live-in caretaker (who could be a child or grandchild, or could be a paid caregiver). - Lose the loft and instead make the basement a kids' hang out space. - A completely different thought: Design the house so that you have two bedrooms upstairs for your younger children ... and a one-bedroom apartment (with a separate entrance PLUS a lockable connection to the main house) for the older boys. My mom has this set-up in her house, and it has proven itself very flexible over the years. In her case, the one-bedroom apartment is connected to the main house with a breezeway. Initially an elderly relative lived in the apartment. Each of us kids took turns living in that bedroom. It's been temporary housing for a number of people. Now my mother lives in the apartment, while my brother and his family have the main house. Heck that double bedroom might not even get a year or more out of it before the boys are off to college. I say that because it may be another year or two before the house is built. Yes, realistically, the oldest boys will barely ever live in the house ... but assuming they're going away for the traditional college route, they'll be home for holidays and summers. They may or may not come home after college, but they're not likely to stay long. My oldest has been out of college two years now, and as I think about her high school classmates, only one is still living at home with her mom ... and it's because she is a single mother. I know plenty of empty nesters living in 4000+ sq.ft. houses and none of them are overwhelmed. Eh, I bought my current 2400 square foot house from an empty nester who was overwhelmed both with the upkeep and the cost of the home. I know a couple other people who would like to downsize ... but they can't unload their large houses and/or can't find something small and manageable for the same cost now. I do know one retired guy who stocks grocery shelves part-time literally because he can't afford his oversized house ... neither can he sell it. As for maintenance and upkeep, well, if one can afford to build such a house, they will probably still be able to afford it 30 years later. And also afford the help to clean it. Totally disagree. Speaking hypothetically, definitely not pointing at the OP, whose financial situation I don' t know: pretty much anyone can borrow to build a big house ... but that doesn't mean the individual can afford to retire AND maintain the big house. No one wants to discover too late that he cannot afford to travel, etc. in retirement because of the necessity of maintaining a big house. I have always told my husband that I wanted a home where all the kids would have a bed to sleep on when they chose to come back home to visit. Yes, I always want to have a space for my kids ... but at 4000 square feet, you have space for other people's kids too. Remember that an average house in America today is 2400 square feet; you're looking at practically double that size. I agree that's important too, but a few thoughts on that. How many will be moving far from home and how many will be staying with you at the same time? This is more unpredictable than your own health. With four kids, will they live nearby and visit but never stay the night? will they move far away? will they likely come back to visit at the same time? will they send their kids to stay with you two weeks every summer? Other thoughts: - That's a lot of garage for anyone. - I like the connection between the laundry and the master closet. - The master bath could use improvement. - You're devoting a huge amount of space to bedrooms ... but not nearly as much to eating space. Fast forward a decade or two: imagine four children, spouses and grandchildren ... you don't have anywhere to feed even half that group! And, in my experience, you're more likely to have family for a day /a meal than for overnight. - The placement of the toilet in the shared bathroom seems to be very much "out in the open". I get that this bathroom is designed for sharing, but it could be better.
    ...See More

Feedback on my Plans?

Q

Comments (7)
    Ooh interesting! Going from all the closed up window openings you're reopening, looks like you're starting off from a fairly remuddled state. I'm guessing that the dining area is way in the back behind the kitchen? On the opposite side of the house from the living room? Ack! I think the new plan gives you a better layout overall (especially with the living room, dining room, and kitchen all in succession). The one thing I have a strong disagreement about is taking out the fireplace (if it's original). I like the aesthetic of a foyer/entry fireplace, even if you don't actually use it all that much (I'd put a realistic gas insert in it), and I like the idea of a more secluded library. Seems like it would be a private place, or at least an intimate spot for nightcaps with one or two guests, where you don't necessarily need or want it to be part of the public area flow. Additionally, I'd have a nice two-way swinging door and wall between the dining room and kitchen, but that's a personal opinion because I don't like open kitchens or being able to see kitchen stuff from the front door. Lastly, I'd perhaps reconsider having the master closet in the corner of the house and captive to the bathroom - you generally want windowless rooms like closets to be in the middle of the house (but if that corner doesn't and won't have windows, that makes more sense, I guess) and I've personally never been enthused by the idea of walking through a wet steamy bathroom to find clothes/get dressed.
    ...See More

Floor plan of a German City Villa - asking for feedback & improvements

Q

Comments (14)
    (not a pro) Looks like it will be a lovely home! Have you considered making the window in the mudroom a door instead? I realize people can go through the garage to get there, but I like having a door right into my mudroom for letting the dog out (and being able to keep an eye on him from inside) and when the kids were young they could come in and out directly for the mudroom, restroom, etc. You could have a door with a nice window so you don't lose that light and window view from down the hall. And do you need the door that's currently into the mudroom from the center hall? If you do, I might swing it the other way or make it a pocket door so it doesn't block the cabinets. Have you looked into the pros and cons of double entry doors? I like how they look, but some people find that they usually only use one at a time. Also be sure that the locks are as secure as a single door locking into a frame. You also need to figure out where your light switch for the front hall will be so it's not covered when you open the doors. You might be just as happy with a nice single door that has windows, a transom and 2 sidelights.
    ...See More

Update on Floor Plan - Looking for Feedback

Q

Comments (52)
    this may be 100% irrelevant, but as I was looking at your plan I saw a lot of similarities to ours, so I’m posting what we ended up with in case it gives you any additional ideas. We kept tweaking our mudroom panty area, so it’s not labeled but the pantry is the room directly behind the kitchen and our mudroom is right behind that. I think you are on good track but not there yet. We had a lot of issues with that guest bath. And honestly there’s probably much better option than where we ended up, but we ended up closing off the entrance to the kitchen and adding a powder room. Two things I would say: even if you leave your kitchen where it is, I would prioritize making sure you get a window over your sink. secondly, if I had a master closet that big, I would for sure add a washer/dryer!
    ...See More
  • M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok, now that I’ve read some of the comments. I can’t thank you all enough for taking the time to look at my plans with a critical eye. I’ve been driving myself batty and a new set of eyes is always welcome!

I‘m not sure it its clear in the photo, but there are two separate laundry areas. I think the closet placement in bedroom 3 is a bit awkward (recessed) and I could scoot it into the bedroom more, giving me a foot or so of extra space in the upstairs laundry.

The idea of combining the pantry and laundry is interesting and definitely not something I’ve considered. My initial reaction is I don’t like the idea of mixing ”moist” with “dry” but it’s something to think about. It would certainly feel more spacious.

I had planned on the walk in pantry mainly being storage for our canned foods, canning supplies, and kitchen appliances.

It’s interesting so many people are commenting on a lack of mudroom. I thought I had that pretty well covered with the cubbies that you have to walk by into the house! But I will certainly give that thought since that seems to be an initial thought many people had. I don’t believe it’s shown (at least not clearly), but there will be an exterior door to the downstairs laundry room/mudroom and there is also a ulility sink and dog washing area there.

I have considered the lack of a former foyer and at one point during the planning, there was a small wall to the right of the door separating the entrance from the living room. I opted to get rid of that as it felt a little choppy to me. I had hoped to accommodate storage for purses/keys etc with a small table on the backside of the couch. I do see a lack of storage for things like coats and umbrellas etc. So something I need to reconsider for sure.

I had toyed around with the idea of squaring the whole thing off and getting rid of both the dining room indention and the kitchen bump out. I was ok with that change in all aspects except the kitchen! We just couldn‘t come up with a layout we liked as it felt like the left hand wall (with fridge and range) would be cramped and the sink wall would be long and awkward. I like an island with no appliances in it and didn’t love any layouts with appliances on the same wall with sink. Sigh.

The master bath layout has been a sore spot for me and I’m still not there yet. I don’t care to give up a tub, but I don’t like tile showers and am having a hard time with working around the window placement.

I knew I’d get comments about the small downstairs bedroom eventually as a master, but no, that is one area I really don’t mind. I’m fine with that size.

I am working with an architect but it seems I’m having to do much of the work myself. :/ I don’t have much else to say about that.

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Mark! That’s exactly what I was thinking too and mentioned above. There is no reason the closet is like that, at least that I’m aware of. If you see more simple fixes like that that I’m missing, please share!

• fissfiss
    4 years ago

Just to save square footage, not necessarily cost....put a deck above kitchen bumpout...have game room open on to it.

M R thanked fissfiss
  • lafdr
    4 years ago

I like the first floor. I would add a window to the guest bath, there is exterior wall by the shower. I would add a coat closet or coat rack by the front entry for guests. I would not have the guest room door conflict with the front door. Those doors are too close together and can be adjusted. I do not like the 2 guest sinks, counter space will matter more.

Upstairs I really dislike master enter from the rec room. There is no privacy or noise buffering. You might want a tv and activity farther from the master so someone can sleep in or go to sleep early. Imagine the kids having friends over when younger or as teens. I wouldn't want them up late outside my bedroom door. The other end of the house is not even far enough away sometimes........If you keep the rec room there I would have the closet run the entire wall between the 2 and put the door not near the rec room.

The secret play room is pretty far and private. Imagine all the illicit use it can get when they are teens.......... I think the novelty will wear off when they are younger. Consider walk in closets in each bedroom instead that are a perfect secret play area and may help resale in the future. The secret play room could be a walk in closet in the future or a hidden room for storage with secret entrances if you keep it. I really like outside walls and windows on bathrooms and would move the bathroom to an outside wall and lose the secret playroom or make the playroom more interior for future storage options if you really want to have it.

Overall there are many good details here ! I would keep the 3 car garage. Garage space is relatively cheap to build compared to house square footage.

lafdr

M R thanked lafdr
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

I see enough spots that need "simple fixes" that the fixes may not be so simple. There are things that I just would not do in my designs. I will try to post a list of my concerns tomorrow when I have more time.

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I would so appreciate that!

• robin0919
    4 years ago

I personally would 'never' want the Mbed facing the front street.

• Architectrunnerguy
    4 years ago

Mark's observations about the house/site connection is spot on. One of my little pet peeves here is houses that are posted as an isolated thing, as if they're some kind of Starship Enterprise floating in the black void of space.

And that's just one connection. Always design an element by considering it in its next larger context. A window in a wall, a wall in a house, a house on a site...etc.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

I avoid:

1. Designs that do not relate to the site.
    2. Closets where hanging clothes turn corners.
    3. Windowless walk-in closets.
    4. Large expanses of exterior wall without windows.
    5. Main entry that enters directly into a living room.
    6. Powder room window that opens to a front entry porch.
    7. Master bathrooms with little counter space.
    8. Bathrooms with no counter space.
    9. Exterior doors in living rooms that effect furniture layouts.
    10. Bedrooms next to a bathroom without a sound barrier.
    11. Purposeless "Bonus" rooms.
    12. Views from living rooms into bedrooms.
    13. Tiny mudrooms.
    14. Corner bedrooms with only one window.
    15. No coat closet at exterior entrances.
    16. Doors that swing in front of other doors.
    17. Double doors into walk-in closets.

to name a few.

• scottie mom
    4 years ago

Where do guests enter???

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Mark. Some of those are definitely easy fixes, some obviously not. I will incorporate as many of those changes as I can.

Guest will enter from front door most of the time.

View is private from all sides of house.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    4 years ago

Guests entering from front door clearly needs a foyer and guest closet... not stepping directly into living roo

Think wet shoes, snowy boots, rain and winter coats, etc.

Foyer floor should be durable with wet and snowy shoes, boots. Wet coats need a ace to hang (and drip).

Ask your drafter why s/he didn't think of this simple function.

• chicagoans
    4 years ago

In addition to all the great comments above: I'd definitely want a door straight from the outside into the laundry/mudroom area. You're on acreage and you and your kids will likely be outside a lot. Think about coming in from outside with dirty/muddy shoes and getting to a powder room or a place to take off your boots - you probably won't want the kids (or you) to walk through the living room or kitchen. You could add a man door to the back of the garage; I'd do that anyway and still have a door from the laundry to the outside. Do you have pets? Plan for where their food bowls will go, where food will be stored, and how you'll let them outside.

M R thanked chicagoans
  • M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you! Yes, agree with all of those things!! We are doing the door to Mudroom for sure. That’s something I requested initially but seemed to have gotten overlooked. I‘m thinking of putting the dog bowls and food in that room, near the dog wash. I don’t know who brings in more dirt- the beagles or the boys!!

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    4 years ago

I love our 4 ft wide stairs and halls. Definitely worth keeping if possible.

I agree with many of the other comments above about double sinks unnecessary over having more counter space, double doors to closets are odd and impractical, no coat closet (do live where there are 4 seasons?)

If you moved the bathroom into the secret room area, the water sounds may not transfer to the bedrooms as much. This would allow the doors to the secret room to be behind the bedroom doors and not interfere with valuable wall space. Plus if the novelty wears off, the room is a little more out of sight.

We have 300 sq ft on our upper 2 floors but our house seems more spacious.

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you. I’m not sure what you’re suggesting about secret room- basically switching positions with the bathroom? Then bath becomes jack and jill? Is that what you’re saying?

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    4 years ago

Yes it would become a jack and jill which may not work the best with it being needed for people from the rec rooms. Someone else mentioned it and it does have a few benefits.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    4 years ago

When it comes to the boys "secret room", who is going to check it periodically each day? Who will clean it daily? How will the room be accessed by humans with cleaning equipment through the small doors?

A larger hinged cabinet, sized at least 36" wide would make more sense for access!

• Victoria
    4 years ago

lafdr

i like the first floor.

Genuinely curious what one likes about this first floor? There is no entry/foyer you walk right into the LR and there is a random bedroom immediately to the right. There is no other access/hallway through the first floor except to have to walk through both living room and dining room. A mud room is one you walk directly into/through not one you have to go find. I am by no means an expert and usually just lurk but I just do not get the appeal of this one at all, I really think 3000 sq ft on acreage could be put to much better use.

• AnnKH
    4 years ago

My kids are grown now, and our house isn't nearly big enough for a secret room. When my kids were little, they made their own secret room by building blanket forts, or playing in cardboard boxes. If they couldn't see us, they figured they were hidden.

Kids don't stay small for long. Design of a house should take into account long-term use, not just what might be handy for today. For example, many people like a playroom of some kind near the kitchen, so they can keep an eye on young kids while they make dinner. But how will that space be used when the kids are doing homework in their rooms, or playing video game with friends, or off to college? Planning for the future use of all your spaces now will save you money (and/or disappointment) in the long run.

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Virgil, you do make a point about cleaning that I haven’t considered! I will be the one checking it, but my boys are (shockingly I know) fairly tidy and can be responsible for cleaning their own messes. But fair points to consider.

The placement of the secret room was always with the idea that eventually it could be made into a closet for bedroom 3.

There will be access to the mudroom from outside. And I anticipate it will see heavy use as its in the back yard where most of the action on the farm takes place.

I do like the idea of adding a coat closet to the foyer, but it seems I would have to steal room from bedroom 1, which is already on the small side. Any smaller and even I would probably have concerns about it serving as a future master. Other option is.....adding sq footage, which is the opposite direction I’m trying to go. Darn budget.

• new-beginning
    4 years ago

secret rooms work nicely under the stairs

• Oliviag
    4 years ago

Not commenting on the rest, but I have two laundry rooms. and i love them. Upstairs for clothes. Downstairs, HE toploader for work clothes, camping clothes, oversized comforters,, etc.

imo, if the master is on second floor, but contingency master is on first , for aging in place, at least a spot for second laundry is a good idea.

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

New beginnings, yes, I’ve seen those and love them! We ended up with a basement stairs directly under the stairs going upstairs so we won’t have room for that. But I think that’s such a great use of that space if you can do it. If we had separate staircases that would be have been a great choice I think.

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Good to know Oliviag. I currently have no laundry rooms...I do laundry in an unfinished basement so one is a luxury, two is a dream!

• Kate E
    4 years ago

I feel like this is always my contribution to these posts. Consider making your first floor laundry room door a pocket door. generally, you’ll probably have it open- but you can slide it shut to minimize noise. Imagine getting in and out of the laundry room with a laundry basket in your arms. A swing door will make that space feel very crampt!

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I love that idea. I’ve also thought about a push door (not sure if I’m using the right word there). That seems like it may be handy in a laundry space too.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

I am working with an architect but it seems I’m having to do much of the work myself. :/ I don’t have much else to say about that.

Are you sure you're working with a licensed architect and not a CAD designer/draftsman? Big difference.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

What is the size of the living room and dining room?

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes ma‘am. Local, licensed, recommended. But not without some deficiencies it seems.

Living room is 21’8” by 19’1“ but you may as well say more like 18x17ish when it comes to furniture placemen.

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Dining room dimensions

Basically 19’8” by 11’7”. Planning on a 10ft table, trying to leave a comfortable 3ft minimum around table. Will likely be placed not exactly centered in this space but more to the back right concern to allow a more open walkway to and from kitchen.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    4 years ago

Not what you want to hear, but that 11 foot + measurement is narrow. Ours is roughly that and that is one thing I would change if I could. I do have a china cabinet that eats up space out of that measurement.

I understand you are not wanting to add sq footage. So if you have a hutch, buffet , server etc, where is it going to go? You have several windows and no real wall space in this room. I would suggest splitting the end wall windows apart farther than they are and just using 2 there. Even if you currently don't have any furniture to go in there, think of the future possibility of needing wall space even if just for art. You have plenty of length in this room to allow a piece of furniture at the end of the table and still allow for a 10 ft table.

Putting a piece between the top wall windows will just eat into the space for the table and push it into the living room area. The measurements provided for the dining room are somewhat confusing as they extend past the stairs but the visual goes farther in to the living room. If the table is pushed this way, you really don't have 19 feet without running into the stairs.

Just something to look at. (like you don't have enough! ;-) )

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for that input. I do think that’s a good idea to take those windows farther apart to accommodate for a piece of furniture. I only plan on a small hutch in the room other than the table, and I definitely agree I don’t have room for it on the long wall. Do you think your dining room would feel comfortable if you didn’t have to have your china cabinet on that wall?

We are still considering the possibility of extended the dining room(and rooms upstairs) out to “square off” the house, as I think someone mentioned- as shown by my rough sketch in the above photo. I’m not wanting to add square footage obviously.....this adds about 140 sq fr overall....but it makes the footprint simpler and it sure does help upstairs. I don’t feel like we need the space as much in the dining room, but I’m sure I wouldn’t complain either. I just don’t know which would be more cost effective- squaring it off, getting rid of 2 corners, and simplifying the roof line there, or adding the cost of the 140 ft. Decisions, decisions. Architect seems to think it’s a wash but recommends against it due to his personal preference of the exterior.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    4 years ago

Yes , without the china cabinet taking up space the room would be plenty wide. Sitting here discussing this with my DH and he agrees. We too had our house designed by an architect and it can be overwhelming! Luckily after 28 years of living here there are only a few small things we would tweak if we had to do it over again.

If you have a view out the back, maybe you could put the third window on the back wall.

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you. Originally there was s 3rd window on the back wall and I took it out to have some wall space for art in that room. But it is a nice view and I haven’t decided on that for sure.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Haven't read through everyone's comments. My thoughts below mostly pointing out what I consider negatives.

First Floor:

The garage plan shows no windows but the elevation does. Which is correct?

I dislike the U shaped space between garage and main house. It lends itself to nothing. Honestly you gain nothing because you can't even put a window on the bedroom side because who wants to look at a wall

Mudroom will not work with kids because the idea of a mudroom is being able to walk into the house and have the hooks, cubbies, etc right there for them to put stuff away without having to go "find it". Heck even my DH wouldn't! Make it so one walks into the mudroom.

Also I'd still make the laundry separate from the mudroom. That does work. However where in the laundry room will you sort clothes, etc?

In the kitchen if you're planning on keeping the fridge where it is, I'd put a prep sink on the island. Otherwise move the fridge to the right of the sink. (Although I believe the prep sink is a better option since then the fridge and pantry are next to one another making it easier to put away groceries or take food stuff out when cooking.)

Don't love the afterthought door out to the backyard from the living room.

Why are their no windows on the fireplace wall so you have windows on 2 walls?

There should absolutely be a foyer as you enter the house with a place to hang a coat, or at least put down an umbrella and so the UPS person isn't immediately looking through your house. It's also a way to keep out cold, heat, etc from the rest of the house and it is a wonderful way to say welcome, come see what else is here to your guests.

And regarding this, you will lose the walkway space in the living room anyway since you need a path from the front of the house to the rear, so why not define the space as a hallway with a large opening into the living room. That then also gives you more walls to put artwork, etc.

Double doors never work as well. First of all they leak air and air leaks in. Secondly where do you put light switches? Better to have a single door with sidelights.

Bedroom 1 vanity is too small for double sinks. Better to have a single with extra storage.

Clothing can't turn corners in closets.

A bedroom closet isn't important enough to need double doors into a walk in closet.

When you walk into a house, a bedroom should not be the very first thing you see.

Your elevation shows a porch. Why isn't it shown on the plans? Why isn't any rear patio shown on the plans?

Do you have plans that show how the house sits on the land? That's something any good architect would do from the start.

Second floor:

Regarding the master are you and your spouse on the same wake/sleep cycle? If not the closet being far from the bathroom could be an issue.

The master bedroom suffers from the same problem as bedroom 1 which is there are no windows on one of the outside walls. Of course putting windows there, would mean once again looking at a roof/wall.

Again clothes can't turn corners. At the very least have the clothes on the two long walls and have the entrance to the closet (a single door) as you enter the bedroom.

The master bath is poorly laid out. I'm sorry but walking into the bathroom the first thing you see is the toilet straight ahead of you?

The vanity is too small for double sinks and the person closest to the door will have to dodge the door anytime they're at the sink and the other person wants to come in or out.

Also again are you ok if your spouse turns on the light in the bathroom in the middle of the night?

Most of the laundry will get done upstairs so where in that small room will you sort laundry etc?

The door to bedroom 2 should open the other way so as you walk into the room, your view is to open up into the room and not to the wall.

Why does bedroom 2 have windows on only one wall?

To me one of the biggest things is the staircase. You walk up the stairs and instead of it welcoming you upstairs, your view is the door to the laundry room? And the walk up the stairs is a dark and interior one? A staircase should be thought of as another "room" in the sense that it helps lead you to an inviting place. In this case the upstairs.

The hidden room is cute but if it were me, I'd rather have an extra closet in the hallway and a window in the bathroom.

What's with the odd jog at the top left of the recreation room?

The plan is not bad. It could be a lot better.

How much land do you have?

What direction does the house face?

• cpartist
    4 years ago

We don’t have a designated mechanical room.

Like all the other rooms, the mechanical room needs to be designed at the same time as the rest of the house. Not designing a place for one now, leads to problems down the line.

- Instead of two small rooms, open up the pantry and the laundry to be one LARGE scullery space.

I would not do that. Moisture and dry goods do not mix well.

no coat closet (do live where there are 4 seasons?)

Even in sunny FL, we have rain or cooler weather that requires coats, hats and umbrellas.

I do like the idea of adding a coat closet to the foyer, but it seems I would have to steal room from bedroom 1, which is already on the small side. Any smaller and even I would probably have concerns about it serving as a future master. Other option is.....adding sq footage, which is the opposite direction I’m trying to go. Darn budget.

No you add it to the living room side and make an actual hallway from the foyer to the rear of the house.

imo, if the master is on second floor, but contingency master is on first , for aging in place, at least a spot for second laundry is a good idea.

Agreed but it would be better if that bedroom and that laundry room are nearer one another so one doesn't have to walk all through the living room, dining room and kitchen to get to the laundry. If you get to the point where you need to live downstairs, you'll also need a laundry room that's easier to get to.

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you so much cp for taking the time out of your day to help a stranger and give such detailed feedback! I’ll try to address some of your questions.

The garage plan shows no windows but the elevation does. -garage will have windows

Mudroom will not work with kids- I truly need more feedback here. I keep hearing that. And I want to address it if needed. However, is it not sufficient to have the cubbies they the kids are indeed forced to walk by? I picture those as a drop zone. To me that’s the primary function I’m looking for. The other space, with the laundry, will have a utility sink and a dog wash/boot wash, with a door to the back yard. I picture my boys using this space when they come in dirty from the yard and cleaning up before coming in the house. To me that’s a separate function than the cubbies. Am I missing something?

However where in the laundry room will you sort clothes, etc?

I wouldn’t. To be honest, maybe it’s just a function of living with laundry in The basement now, but I don’t sort laundry at the washer and dryer. Plus, this washer/dryer won’t be used that often. It’s mainly for “farm” dirt.

Why are their no windows on the fireplace wall so you have windows on 2 walls?

There are. Just Realized this version doesn’t show that, but yes two windows on either side of fireplace with window seat beneath.

why not define the space as a hallway with a large opening into the living room. That then also gives you more walls to put artwork, etc.

Interesting idea. I don’t want it to feel closer off so that idea makes me a little nervous. Were you thinking of a similar layout to attached picture?

Bedroom 1 vanity is too small for double sinks. Better to have a single with extra storage.

Yes. Thinking of stealing a little room from

The closet.

A bedroom closet isn't important enough to need double doors into a walk in closet.

Agree. Dislike this.

My architect is........special. But the elevations are correct as far as the porches go.

Regarding the master are you and your spouse on the same wake/sleep cycle? If not the closet being far from the bathroom could be an issue.

Yes.

The master bedroom suffers from the same problem as bedroom 1 which is there are no windows on one of the outside walls. Of course putting windows there, would mean once again looking at a roof/wall.

We are adding windows to this wall. The garage will not be a 3 car so the bonus room is also smaller.

The master bath is poorly laid out.

Not a fan. Have to come up with something better.

Most of the laundry will get done upstairs so where in that small room will you sort laundry etc? I’m scooting the oddly recessed closet back into bedroom 3 more, adding a foot or so in width to the laundry. I will probably flip the w/d to the other wall at that point and have some storage beside them. Again I don’t really sort in the laundry room.

The door to bedroom 2 should open the other way so as you walk into the room, your view is to open up into the room and not to the wall.

Thanks for this. Will do.

Why does bedroom 2 have windows on only one wall?

Updated plans do have windows on both walls. An “oversight”, I’m sure. :)

To me one of the biggest things is the staircase.

Would you suggest moving it?

The hidden room is cute but if it were me, I'd rather have an extra closet in the hallway and a window in the bathroom.

What's with the odd jog at the top left of the recreation room? No idea. Wasn’t present in the updated version.

How much land do you have? 40 acres.

What direction does the house face? South.

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Attached is an update with a couple of corrections- things like windows on fireplace wall and a door to laundry room.....none of the other items discussed here (I have not relayed any of these ideas to him yet.) This version has it’s own issues...the new master bath arrangement still doesn’t suit me, there‘s some error with the kitchen/pantry and maybe more I haven’t looked this version over closely yet.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Why the heck did he cut down the kitchen with that odd jog? How ridiculous!

Thank you so much cp for taking the time out of your day to help a stranger and give such detailed feedback! I’ll try to address some of your questions.

I got such wonderful help when I was building my house, I am happy to pay it forward.

Mudroom will not work with kids- I truly need more feedback here. I keep hearing that. And I want to address it if needed. However, is it not sufficient to have the cubbies they the kids are indeed forced to walk by?

I think I might have read it wrong originally. My bad. The cubbies are on the south wall as the kids walk past the powder room?

I picture my boys using this space when they come in dirty from the yard and cleaning up before coming in the house. To me that’s a separate function than the cubbies. Am I missing something?

Nope I thought for some reason the laundry was also the mudroom. Ignore the lady with the keyboard!

However where in the laundry room will you sort clothes, etc?

I wouldn’t. To be honest, maybe it’s just a function of living with laundry in The basement now, but I don’t sort laundry at the washer and dryer. Plus, this washer/dryer won’t be used that often. It’s mainly for “farm” dirt.

Fair enough. But will you have bins to put the "farm dirt clothes" into before they're washed?

why not define the space as a hallway with a large opening into the living room. That then also gives you more walls to put artwork, etc.

Interesting idea. I don’t want it to feel closer off so that idea makes me a little nervous. Were you thinking of a similar layout to attached picture?

Yes for both the living room and the dining room you create cased openings to define the rooms while still keeping the rooms feeling open.

Yes. Thinking of stealing a little room from

The closet.

I can't see how large the bedroom is or how large the closet and bathroom are. What are the dimensions?

The master bath is poorly laid out.

Not a fan. Have to come up with something better.

This version is not much better. No one wants a 9' x 3' shower. Talk about wasted space!

Most of the laundry will get done upstairs so where in that small room will you sort laundry etc?

I’m scooting the oddly recessed closet back into bedroom 3 more, adding a foot or so in width to the laundry. I will probably flip the w/d to the other wall at that point and have some storage beside them. Again I don’t really sort in the laundry room.

But you still want hanging room, etc. And if you have a nicer space and a cabinet it might actually be easier to sort it in the laundry room. Just sayin'

To me one of the biggest things is the staircase.

Would you suggest moving it?

If it was me, I'd redesign it. However that will change everything else. You can't design one floor at a time. (I hope your architect didn't do that but designed all floors and elevations together?)

One of the nicest features in my house is my staircase. I have a switchback staircase and as I reach the first landing I have a large window (which I put a stained glass window in) and then as I climb the rest of the stairs, I see the light from windows plus I have room for my antique Tibetan rice cabinet.

Here are two poor photo images showing what I mean in my house.

First photo is walking up the stairs. (I was trying to get the stained glass color correct which is why the walls look so dark plus it was late in the day.) Notice how you're walking "toward the light" so to speak?

The second photo is as you turn and go up the last steps what you see. (The only oops was putting the outlet where it's noticeable.)

As to what you should do? Only you can answer that.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

A few questions and comments you missed from me:

In the kitchen if you're planning on keeping the fridge where it is, I'd put a prep sink on the island. Otherwise move the fridge to the right of the sink. (Although I believe the prep sink is a better option since then the fridge and pantry are next to one another making it easier to put away groceries or take food stuff out when cooking.)

Double doors never work as well. First of all they leak air and air leaks in. Secondly where do you put light switches? Better to have a single door with sidelights.

When you walk into a house, a bedroom should not be the very first thing you see.

Do you have plans that show how the house sits on the land? That's something any good architect would do from the start.

Second floor:

I'm flagging this one because when I wrote this I didn't realize that the windows in question face west. What part of the country are you in? If the south you'll want to minimize windows on the west wall.

Again clothes can't turn corners. At the very least have the clothes on the two long walls and have the entrance to the closet (a single door) as you enter the bedroom.

Also again are you ok if your spouse turns on the light in the bathroom in the middle of the night?

• emilyam819
    4 years ago

Your farm dirt will be in the hallway. If you change the entrance from the garage to what’s now the laundry room, it can become the mudroom. I’d change the pantry to laundry (and omg get rid of the jog in the kitchen that makes the stove not even fit), try to put an entry from new mudroom to laundry, and relocate pantry. You can get a nice pantry closet by stealing half of the bedroom’s walk in. Or pantry cabinets where you have the kids cubbies drawn currently.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    4 years ago

I would look at the windows in bedroom 2. This is almost the same set up as our one bedroom. My DD did not have the single window up next to the secret room though. She just has the two corner windows. That situation worked out okay but you don't get cross ventilation with the corner windows.

My kids always like their bed up against the wall. There is not a corner to do this if your boys are the same way.

If I had to do it over, I would put a window next to the closet. Furniture can't go there anyway because of the closet doors. I'm not sure where I would put the window on the end wall. Maybe I would leave it in the corner but would also consider the middle of the outside wall. Think about furniture placement to see where you think it would be best. Towards the secret room corner could work since again furniture can't go there anyway.

My DD is someone that even as a kid rearranged her room frequently. It was nice that she had options for furniture placement. Now that she has her own house she still does this. Tested the other week that she had flipped her office and guest room. Crazy girl!!

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Cp, thank you for those photos and again for all your input. Your staircase is beautiful: I think I’ve covered the rest of your questions.

bedroom one dimensions are 14’1” x 13’8.5”. Closet is currently 8.5’ by 5’1”.

In the kitchen if you're planning on keeping the fridge where it is, I'd put a prep sink on the island. Otherwise move the fridge to the right of the sink. (Although I believe the prep sink is a better option since then the fridge and pantry are next to one another making it easier to put away groceries or take food stuff out when cooking.

—I don’t like anything in the island but would consider your suggestion about the other option. I recently set up a cardboard life size layout of the kitchen (because I’m just that nuts I suppose) and felt good about the arrangement that we currently have. But I’m not married to it.

The weird jog in the kitchen is unintentional (at least I think!) The change there was in an effort to shave off some square footage and I asked to see the kitchen (and rec room) 1-2 feet narrower. It looks to me like he moved part of the wall, but somehow not all of it. That wall will stay straight whatever dimension we end up with.

-I haven’t given much thought to it. For me it could stay or go.

-I know there are disadvantages. But there also some pluses- much easier to move big furniture through. Mainly I just like the way they look. I don’t plan on them looking anything like in the rough elevation though- I’m thinking 3/4 glass doors.

-yes....this needs to be fixed

-I know this is a big qualm most people would have with this plan. I don’t think it would be the FIRST thing people would notice when opening the front door and I personally don’t mind it there. I can see why most people would.

-No, though he did visit the site.

The master bedroom suffers from the same problem as bedroom 1.

-We’re in Tennessee. We are adding a window to both bedroom one and master because I’m a fan of natural light. It will face west but I don’t think that matter much as we won’t usually be in the bedrooms when the sun would affect us.

• I have thought about moving the entrance closer to the bedroom door. I don’t know how I feel about having those close possibly cross paths. Whatever route we go, it won’t be double doors. And if it’s kept on the wall it’s currently on, I was thinking of moving it to the far right so we’d have room on that wall for a piece of furniture.

• I’d sleep right through it I’m sure. :) I don’t suspect that would happen; the few times either of us have stumbled to the bathroom (only one bath upstairs at our current house, not a master bath) I do note that we don’t turn the main light on anyway. Too bright.

-I’m committed to the idea of the fort room. I worked and worked to try to figure out a way to have both an exterior bathroom that was not aJack and Jill along with the secret room but couldn’t come up with another solution. Neither could the architect. I’ve thought about doing a solar tube light in the bathroom...but I’m concerned about roof leaks (metal roof). If I could warm up to the idea of Jack and Jill maybe I’d change my mind about this, but I’m stuck on the disadvantages.

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

RN mom, that window placement is something I’ve struggled with. I know I do want a window on that wall, but can’t figure Out where. I agree I think the best natural placement would be next to the secret room, but if you look closely at the updated version he sent me, you’ll see I am having to work around the chimney. Still not sure what the best answer is.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    4 years ago

Oops! I was talking about the windows in bedroom 3. I had the room numbers wrong. Yes the windows in bedroom 2 have minimal choices for location due to front facade and the chimney.

People make a big deal about clothes not turning corners in closets. Here's what we have done to live with that situation. In our master closet we have shelving units where the rods would "turn" the corners. The rods go all the way down the side wall and the shelving unit is spaced out far enough on the back wall to allow clothes to be hung the entire side wall length. Yes that creates a bit of a "blind" corner but I don't find it that big of a deal. After all, don't we all have clothes in the closet that we rarely wear, just can't get rid of, or are off season? Put them in that area next to the shelves. Still accessible, not like its that hard to get to them..

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ah yes, I see that now. Yes, I do think you’re right and we should move that window over towards the closet.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio