Trump considering paying Iran 15B to comply with Obama Iran deal

Kathy

President Donald Trump has left the impression with foreign officials, members of his administration, and others involved in Iranian negotiations that he is actively considering a French plan to extend a $15 billion credit line to the Iranians if Tehran comes back into compliance with the Obama-era nuclear deal.

Trump has in recent weeks shown openness to entertaining President Emmanuel Macron’s plan, according to four sources with knowledge of Trump’s conversations with the French leader. Two of those sources said that State Department officials, including Secretary Mike Pompeo, are also open to weighing the French proposal, in which the Paris government would effectively ease the economic sanctions regime that the Trump administration has applied on Tehran for more than a year.

This is not the Onion.

SaveComment15Like1
Comments (15)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ziemia(6a)

But this is an example of him joking, right?

Save    
Kathy

Trump’s willingness to discuss the credit line with the French, the Iranians and also Japanese President Shinzo Abe frustrated Bolton, who had for months urged Trump not to soften his hard line against the regime in Tehran.

Bolton, who vociferously opposed the Macron proposal, departed the Trump administration on explicitly and mutually bad terms on Tuesday. On Bolton’s way out of the door, Trump and senior administration officials went out of their way to keep publicly insisting he was fired, as Bolton kept messaging various news outlets that Trump couldn’t fire him because he quit. The former national security adviser and lifelong hawk had ruffled so many feathers and made so many enemies in the building that his senior colleagues had repeatedly tried to snitch him out to Trump for allegedly leaking to the media.

Source, Daily Beast

Save    
Kathy

No joke, Ziemia.

Save    
Kathy

I think Trump was just humoring Macron. I mean really, he tore up the deal himself. And yet, now he is saying Iran has great potential. He seems to have lessened his disdain for Iran publicly.

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

So, if true, in essence he is replacing the cooties of the Obama plan with trump cooties of the same plan. Whadda dope, or worse as Rex described.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Kathy
maifleur01

Sounds to me like Trump sees another area that he can either build or license his name on things as a payback for doing this. Whatever he does it will be spur of the moment and benefit him.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Kathy
chase_gw

He often talks about the potential for Iran and NK , even Russia, to build booming economires and tourism....hmmmmm.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Kathy
leona_2008

^^^ This. And remember trump changes his mind willy-nilly.

Save     Thanked by Kathy
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

The leaders of Iran, NK, and Russia are already rich as they feed on the cream of their country's milk, doubtful they care too much about their people getting rich.

Save     Thanked by Kathy
blfenton

So he tore up the Obama agreement wrt the Iran Nuclear Deal so that through the back door he can call the same agreement the trump plan? He's still looking for his stupid participation ribbon i.e. the Nobel Peace Prize. Except that this seems to be led by President Macron so he would get it. /s

I have usually been able to wind my way around his whiplash flip-flops but I think I may have lost my way on this one. My head hurts.

This is from July. The guy is a waste-of-time idiot.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/17/trump-iran-deal-obama-1417801

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Kathy
chase_gw

Exactly the same thing he did with NAFTA....next the China deal.

Reminds me of a person I worked with years ago. Every year she would create a huge problem which she would then solve by bonus time.

4 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

So Donnie wants to pay 15 billion to get back into the worst deal ever?

WINNING!

9 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

wait for it....... there will be the usual accusation of " you liberals, first you disagree with Trump pulling out of the deal, and then now you are mad he wants to get it back".

Because some cannot understand that when a politician creates havoc, only so he can look like a hero by ending it, with the same solution that was there in the first place, he is wasting everyone in the worlds time, effort and money!

10 Likes Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Thx for that nyuk Ubro ;-)

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

You gotta laugh...or else you'll cry.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Housekeeping 15 Ways to Design an Easy-Clean Home
By Pangaea
Spend more time doing what you love with these pointers for minimizing cleaning needs throughout the entire house
Full Story
The Polite House The Polite House: How to Deal With Noisy Neighbors
Before you fly off the handle, stop and think about the situation, and follow these steps to live in harmony
Full Story
California Gardening Consider Avoiding These Plants to Help Keep Your Garden Fire-Safe
Plants that accumulate dead material, are high in oil or have low moisture content in leaves put some homes at risk
Full Story