Big Tobacco companies Hedge their bets with Vape products

heri _ cles

Big tobacco companies have lost their behinds to vaping products in the last few years alone.

Now they are hedging their bets by investing in these companies, but their are still a lot of big tobacco companies and tobacco farmers that ate likely joining the crusade against vaping....which reportedly contributed to appx 5 deaths (although a toxic combination ingredients in whatever was being vaped (i.e., THC + ) may have been the issue. Meanwhile how many have died from using conventional tobacco products? I'm not defending tobacco products or vaping but we need to know what the facts are before this becomes yet another political football.

Of some interest from an old story:

Altria, a giant in the world of tobacco conglomerates, just spent $12.8 billion dollars to purchase a 35 percent minority stake in Juul, a company that currently dominates the e-cigarette market. This deal puts the value of Juul at an eye-popping $38 billion dollars, more than doubling the $15 billion valuation from earlier this year.

Some details of the deal were first reported in the Wall Street Journal on Wednesday, and rumors of such a deal have circulated for weeks. The purchase gives Altria, the company behind Marlboro cigarettes in the United States, a large share of the booming e-cigarette market.

“We are taking significant action to prepare for a future where adult smokers overwhelmingly choose non-combustible products over cigarettes,” Howard Willard, Altria’s CEOsaid in a statement.

SaveComment23Like
Comments (23)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

The media have promoted vaping for over a decade now. Children in my town, where nobody smokes, are vaping en masse. It is horrifying to watch this new means of shortening, and debilitating young lives unfold.

1 Like Save    
Eat Well

The Trump administration’s banning of the flavored cartridges is one of the most “normal” things he’s done in months. What’s the catch?

Save    
batyabeth

tobacco farmers should switch to growing hemp, for paper, rope, fabric, everything. It's the future, needs very little pesticides (it's basically a weed) revamp the processing factories for hemp fiber production and help to stop the logging and environmental problems of growing cotton. Jobs and industry stay, communities prosper and economies don't die. Just sayin'

2 Likes Save    
ohiomom

WASHINGTON — The area planted to hemp in the United States increased to 78,176 acres in 2018 from 25,713 acres in 2017, according to a crop report from Washington-based Vote Hemp, a hemp advocacy organization. The natural foods industry is one of the fastest growing categories for hemp use as it contains omega-3 fatty acids, omega-6 fatty acids, fiber protein, vitamin E and iron, according to Vote Hemp.

The Agricultural Improvement Act of 2018, also known as the farm bill, removed hemp from the Controlled Substances Act, which cleared the way for the cultivation, production or commercial activity in the United States for products that contain hemp or constituents of hemp. While hemp and marijuana both are classified as cannabis, hemp contains 0.3% or less of the psychoactive compound delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (T.H.C.).

SOURCE: foodbusinessnews.net

ETA: I have advocated for growing Hemp for a long time, too bad we can't post past threads on this subject, but unable to search for them with the new changes here. We were importing huge amounts of Hemp, bout' time we started growing it here again before the fanatics had it banned.

ETA: I just tried searching "hemp" in the search engine above, has all of HT been wiped from the archives? Other forums come up, but not HT.

1 Like Save    
JodiK

But, but... profit from logging and paper milling, Batya!

Hemp is definitely the future... and could have been a profitable, renewable resource as part of our agriculture for decades, if it weren't for the greed for the few.

~~~

And, by the way... it's nicotine and other chemicals that are harmful in vaping (and smoking)... not THC.

Save    
queenmargo

I don't know what idiot came up with the idea that inhaling smoke into the lungs was enjoyable. Just plain STUPID!

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

That is right up there with injecting ink into your body.

Save    
maifleur01

Having lung problems I know that no matter what you inhale it all has some type of particles that are foreign to your body. Your body will either fight the particles, causing inflammation, encircle the particles, or if you are lucky expel them. Some damage may show up immediately. Other damage takes years. I understand the addiction part of any product but have not understood the parents telling their children that vaping is safe. Now that another generation is being hooked on having substances giving a small immediate high it will be interesting to see what future diseases are in this generation. It may just be cancer but with the force needed to inhale the vapor I think it will be similar to emphysema or COPD but a new type with enlarged airways instead of damaged air sacks.

Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

I never understood why the anti smoking campaigners focused on lung cancer in trying to get people not to smoke. Not everyone who smokes will get lung cancer, but everyone who smokes or vapes will reduce their lung capacity in some way. For a country focused on youth, you would think the ability to breathe well would be a big deal. Kinda hard to look young and cool if you are wheezing.

Save    
Jenn "My kingdom for a nap!" Mom(5)

I used to smoke, now I have a Juul device which I've been using to gradually quit altogether. It is working, and as an adult who struggled to just cut back on cigarettes until learning about vape products and making the switch, I am thrilled with the fact that I am having so much success as I get closer and closer to the point of ceasing my nicotine-delivery device usage completely.

I understand the need to keep kids from picking up the habit of vaping, just as I understood when it was combustible cigarettes. But I think that there are ways to continue to allow adults over the age of 21 to buy vape products (particularly those that use pre-filled cartridges which can be more easily produced with standardized, regulated contents using the same processes that they are being manufactured with today) and still keep them out of the hands of kids. I order mine online with auto-ship, and before I could do so I was required to verify that I was over 21 in a multi-step process.

Save    
graywings123(7)

And, by the way... it's nicotine and other chemicals that are harmful in vaping (and smoking)... not THC.

But vaping has been around for a few years; only very recently have people been dying or having lung failure. It's not the nicotine that's causing this crisis. It seems like it is somehow related to the addition of THC. They think it is some kind of oil.

1 Like Save    
batyabeth

heard on NPR that it's a large amount of vitamin E in the substance that is getting folks sick, In small amounts its very good for us, but the large amounts found in vapes has been discovered to the the culprit.

2 Likes Save    
Chi

It's definitely better than smoking, but lots of non-smokers are picking it up, and that's the problem. I've heard some teens have died already.

Save    
Chi

I don't know if it's possible, but I wish they would take away the candy-like flavors. That would help considerably with keeping kids off of them and those using them to stop smoking still could.

Save    
margaritadina

''

queenmargo

I don't know what idiot came up with the idea that inhaling smoke into the lungs was enjoyable. Just plain STUPID!

''

I'll tell you. Central and Northern American Indians.

1 Like Save    
elvis
Save    
heri _ cles

The media have promoted vaping for over a decade now.

uh, no.
tobacco farmers should switch to growing hemp, for paper, rope, fabric, everything. It's the future

not going to happen.

The Trump administration’s banning of the flavored cartridges is one of
the most “normal” things he’s done in months. What’s the catch?

Hmmm, Trump's comments were made just before North Carolina Congressional elections.

I used to smoke, now I have a Juul device which I've been using to
gradually quit altogether. It is working, and as an adult who struggled
to just cut back on cigarettes until learning about vape products and
making the switch, I am thrilled with the fact that I am having so much
success as I get closer and closer to the point of ceasing my
nicotine-delivery device usage completely.

That was the original rationale for most people who started vaping, then, in the past few years, the companies started marketing their products to teenagers.

I know a few people who used vaping to quit smoking tobacco by reducing the Nicotine content progressively down to zero. All of them said they had tried any number of products to quit but finally vaping helped them to get it done.

Save    
cattyles

I’m not sure if I would have quit without e-cigs. I used the disposables. That was five years ago and no one was dying from e-cigs. There’s something different going on with the newer devices or ingredients.

Save     Thanked by heri _ cles
ohiomom

Thank you elvis, and how pray tell were you able to find it?

I have not changed my mind since that time almost 14 years ago.

Save    
heri _ cles

I would not encourage vaping or any smoking for teens. However, for those who want to kick the cigarette habit, vaping can be a good option. Plus less of a chance of burning down the house.

1 Like Save    
JodiK

Yet again, it seems necessary to note that the THC portion of Cannabis need not be smoked... it can be ingested in food or drink products, taken in pill form, vapor form, etc. Therefore, one needn't pull smoke into their lungs in order to reap the benefits of such medicine... or for the benefit of relaxation/recreation.

And that is, of course, not quite the same as what we call "hemp", from which products such as fiber, nutritional seed, and CBD oil are obtained, while generally being less potent where THC levels are concerned.

Cannabis sativa is generally grown for its useful fibers, oil, and seed... while Cannabis indica is generally cultivated for uses such as medical, etc... although indica versus sativa are not necessarily indicative of effects therein. A lot of factors come into play, such as the plant's chemical profile, a consumer's individual biology, the dosage, a consumer's tolerance, and the method in which it is consumed.

There is still debate regarding the differences between Cannabis sativa and Cannabis indica, although it is generally understood that sativa is lower in THC/higher in CBD... while indica is the opposite.

Today, so many strains are cultivated that it would be silly to try to accurately name them all. Each producer has their own proprietary strains.

~~~

My question is... why are vaping products of any kind available to teens? Vaping products generally consist of nicotine in concentrated forms, among other chemicals, which would be very similar to smoking cigarettes... and we don't allow the sale of those to teens.

In my state, tobacco products are only sold to those persons aged 21 and over. The same age is required to purchase alcohol products. Both are harmful to the human body.

How is it that teens... which for all intents and purposes are still children... are able to purchase vaping products?

~~~

And then there's this:

"I don't know what idiot came up with the idea that inhaling smoke into the lungs was enjoyable. Just plain STUPID!

I'll tell you. Central and Northern American Indians."

Sure... bring prejudice into the discussion, blaming today's poor habits on another race.

The mostly ceremonial or religious smoking of many different plant materials has been around since about 5000 BC, although tobacco wasn't cultivated specifically for this purpose early on. Explorers such as Christopher Columbus brought the idea and materials back to Europe, where such practices caught on, eventually morphing into what we have today. Seems more prudent to place blame on the avarice within Caucasians, no?

~~~

There are search engines galore with enough reading materials to keep anyone interested busy for quite some time. Do your own research if you wish to know truth versus propaganda! Good grief!

Save    
marquest(PA zone 6)

If anyone are using the vape to stop smoking please continue. It may help to understand what happening vs the hysteria. Read the article below. Also....

- The majority flavored vapes that the kids love so much do not have nicotine. No addiction. The kids are in more danger eating the fast food junk their parents are feeding their kids as they hand them a smartphone and put them out the door.

- For the last ten years, millions have been
vaping, and there has not been a single story of acute lung damage like
this associated with legal e-cigarettes.

===============

Over the last four weeks, eight
Wisconsin teenagers have been hospitalized with severe lung damage. The
news that vaping caused these illnesses has swept across social media
and is, predictably, being used to push for more government restrictions
on e-cigarettes. But, what few of these reports have pointed out is
that it seems most—if not all—of the hospitalizations were related, not
to e-cigarettes, but illicit “street vapes.” If e-cigarettes are banned
or restricted we can expect to see more stories like this as people
increasingly turn to the black market.

Street vapes, though they have “vape” in the name, are not e-cigarettes.

“If you vape, it may kill you,” proclaims one local television reporter
just after his colleague calls the story out of Wisconsin a warning
“for anyone who vapes.” According to the Children’s Hospital of
Wisconsin, the only common thread between the eight teens who were
admitted with severe lung damage was that they all reported vaping.

Given that over-the-counter e-cigarettes are enjoyed by millions of
adults, it certainly would be a big story if they suddenly started
landing people in the hospital. But a very important detail, revealed in only a handful of reports
on this story, is that “some of the teenagers reported buying vaping
products, including nicotine and THC, on the black market.” And street
vapes, though they have “vape” in the name, are not e-cigarettes.

Street Vapes Are NOT E-cigarettes

Counterfeit weed vaporizers
have been a known danger for many years. Often produced in China, these
devices are mainly used by minors (who can’t legally obtain cannabis)
or in places where weed isn’t yet legal for adult use. Though they are
made to look like legitimate THC vaporizers, which heat up a solution of
cannabis oil, these street vapes often contain other—more harmful—substances.

For the last ten years, millions have been
vaping, and there has not been a single story of acute lung damage like
this associated with legal e-cigarettes.
Last year, health officials in Manchester, UK,
warned the public about the dangers of black-market vapes after nine
people were admitted to the hospital. Instead of all-natural THC oil,
the street vapes actually contained “spice,” a dangerous mixture of herbs and chemicals. In the same month, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) put out an alert that people had been hospitalized or died after using illegal street vapes laced with rat poison.

At this moment, it’s unclear exactly what kinds of vape the Wisconsin
teens had used. But, it seems highly likely that most, if not all, were
using black-market devices. For the last ten years, vaping has enjoyed
relative popularity in the U.S., with millions of adult users, and there
has not been a single story of acute lung damage like this associated
with legal e-cigarettes. In fact, in the UK, where e-cigarette use is
encouraged for smokers, the National Health Service is considering a policy that would allow vaping indoors at all hospitals.

Bans and Black Markets Are to Blame

Though journalists have mostly ignored this fundamental detail, they
are not wrong about the Wisconsin story being a cautionary tale. But the
caution should not be about e-cigarettes—it’s a warning about the
dangers of prohibition.

Whether it was a THC “spice” product or just a knockoff nicotine
vape, the only reason these people turned to the black market was
because they couldn’t acquire cannabis or e-cigarettes legally. Black
markets only arise when products are unavailable or prohibitively
expensive on the legal market, often as a result of well-meaning efforts
to protect people from their own choices. But instead of keeping them
away from substances that might increase their risks a little,
restrictions push people into the illicit market where adulterated and
defective products can kill them. It is a story we’ve seen over and over
again around the world:

• Tainted bootleg liquor constantly results in deaths in places where alcohol is banned, restricted, or prohibitively expensive.
  • Opioids, though dangerous in their own right, become even more deadly when addicts turn to the black market and use the cheaper, fentanyl- or heroin-laced versions.
  • And, as discussed, those who turn to the black market to purchase cannabis products often unwittingly consume “spice” or even rat poison and die or are severely injured.

For years now, anti-vaping advocates have demanded bans and severe
restrictions on e-cigarettes. Unsurprisingly, they’re already using the
Wisconsin story to fuel their propaganda about vaping causing an “epidemic” of teen nicotine use. Even if there was an epidemic of youth vaping (spoiler alert: there isn’t) it would not justify banning e-cigarettes which have already helped millions of adults kick their deadly smoking habit.

All that bans, increased taxes, and restrictions will accomplish is
pushing adolescents and adults turning toward homemade or black-market
products. If that happens, expect to see more poisonings, more tainted
vapes, and more exploding e-cigarettes. Even worse, we can expect to see
more teens choosing to smoke traditional cigarettes and more adults returning to smoking. Given that traditional cigarettes kill half of their users, I don’t see how any of these outcomes would be considered good for public health.

Save    
Jenn "My kingdom for a nap!" Mom(5)

Looks like Trump is already reversing course to some degree on the matter of banning all vaping products sold in stores or online that aren't tobacco flavored, much as he has done with gun control background checks. It's curious to note that news outlets have reported at least three people formerly working for his administration have gone to work in some capacity for Juul.

Regardless, I stand by my statement that if not for having switched to Juul, I'd still be smoking a pack a day of combustible cigarettes. Adult smokers over 21 should continue to have this option available to them - even in the mango, mint, fruit or creme flavors - as a reduced nicotine consumption and full cessation method. Children shouldn't be able to get ahold of these, and I am in no way wishing to encourage or allow those who aren't already smoking to pick up an addiction to nicotine. I do recognize that the crackdown on and (in my view) 100% appropriate strict government regulation of 'big tobacco' as an industry resulted in some very hard hits taken by regions of this country where tobacco companies provided many jobs and the people working in those jobs supported countless businesses in their communities - much as we saw happen in coal mining. But these are failures that come from the way our economy is set up in this country, though making changes to address the need for alternative industries and bringing in new employment options when the first signs of what was to come were seen would have blunted the impacts. People who decided to open small businesses in the vape industry around the country are similarly looking at losing everything they have, and while I realize that they took a risk like every other entrepreneur out there - with no guarantees - they could have avoided betting everything on this emerging industry altogether but for the government decision to remain more or less hands off from the beginning on vape products, and even pushing back a deadline set to go into effect earlier this year to 2020.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Exteriors 5 Ways to Hide That Big Air Conditioner in Your Yard
Don’t sweat that boxy A/C unit. Here’s how to place it out of sight and out of mind
Full Story
Blue Pantone Has Spoken: Rosy and Serene Are In for 2016
For the first time, the company chooses two hues as co-colors of the year
Full Story
Features Can Tidying Up Result in Life-Changing Magic?
Organizing phenom Marie Kondo promises big results — if you embrace enormous changes and tough choices
Full Story