Trump's Trade War has Killed 300,000 Jobs

numbersjunkie

The firm’s chief economist, Mark Zandi, told Yahoo Finance that the job toll from the trade war will hit about 450,000 by the end of the year, if there’s no change in policy. By the end of 2020, the trade war will have killed 900,000 jobs, on its current course. The hardest-hit sectors are manufacturing, warehousing, distribution and retail.
Oops!

SaveComment30Like1
Comments (30)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Prim Rose

Big Box stores are closing branches. KMart is gone from Michigan - weird because KMart was HQ here. the auto industry is sketchy, and people are working multiple jobs.

That's the reality. Not the tax break that was supposed to create wonderful opportunities. Corporations didn't use that $$$ to invest in their people.

What a surprise.

5 Likes Save    
numbersjunkie

Prim Rose, I read about store closings daily. And all we hear from the Repubs is how great the economy is. I sure don't see it. I recall seeing a meme about how many new jobs were created, and a Walmart employee said, Yeah I've got 3 of them! Doesn't mean a thing if the jobs are just slave labor. Looks like the chickens are coming home to roost!

5 Likes Save    
JodiK

This is what happens when some folks refuse to take off those rose colored glasses and view the reality that is our world today!

Not only are the larger stores closing, but smaller franchises are leaving, too. Over the past several years, quite a few retailers in our area have closed their doors, and many of the smaller businesses look like they're playing musical doors, with a closing for every opening...

The same land parcels have been on the market for lengthy time periods, and it would appear that the homeless population is growing.

And this is a college town area...

Save     Thanked by numbersjunkie
JodiK

What a surprise... zero comments regarding the reality of trump's america... not unexpected, however.

1 Like Save     Thanked by numbersjunkie
catkinZ8a

recession! recession! recession!

Save    
maifleur01

More likely depression with no one interested in changing course. Trump and his minions in Congress do not have the thinking ability to go beyond party/factions for the good of the nation as a whole. Few have ever liked what was necessary to prevent a recession much less a harder fall.

3 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

Save    
catkinZ8a

There are many more Trump Supporters now!

Save    
numbersjunkie

Delusional. Sad.

2 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

Winning. Happy.

Save    
Kathy

David Plouffe thinks the Dems should concentrate on Trump’s falling job numbers at the debate. He estimates obey a million lost jobs due to Trump’s tariffs. I believe that is why trump is planning to pull back on them.

Save    
Rina

With typical lack of engagement in the specific issue at hand, and not a molecule of sympathy for the people who have lost their jobs and those who have lost their businesses, a happy RW contributor pipes up the usual three-exclamation-mark bit of nonsense and blather about the number of Trump supporters. Oh substance, where art thou?

8 Likes Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

This issue will not right itself easily. Firms cannot change their supply chains at the drop of a Tweet. I wonder what people envision as an alternative to global free trade?

3 Likes Save    
Jonnygun(zone 7)

What's the unemployment rate again?

Save    
Kitchenwitch111

I used to be interested in the perspective from the RWers but now really, who cares what the Trumpers think? They are lost people and there is no substance there. They live in Trump's reality game show and the rest of the country (and the world) does not. Jeff on Twitter posted a red map as if it was real and they believe it. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

7 Likes Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Is employment a leading economic indicator? I think not.

2 Likes Save    
ohiomom

A small group of Trump fans can post whatever they want on a small social media site, bless the 1st Amendment.

The people of America losing their jobs know the truth of the economy, those businesses closing their doors know the truth, parents are struggling with price increases from food to clothing know the truth, all they see are increase after increase, except in their paychecks (if they still have one). The trade wars? No the war against Americans.

And those Americans will be voting next year.

#Occupythevotingbooth

6 Likes Save    
chase_gw

Where are all those millions of jobs he was going to create? When are all those factories coming back? The job numbers are lagging 2018.......those are the jobs he has blown with his tariffs.

3 Likes Save    
numbersjunkie

The unemployment rate does not tell the true story. Many have dropped out of the job market and are not reflected in that number. Trump knows this and made a big deal about how inaccurate the unemployment number was when he was blasting Obama's record. Trump did nothing to change the downward trajectory of the unemployment rate - as the graphs we have frequently posted clearly show - but now Trump (and his base) seems to have forgotten that its a bogus number.

Also, many are "employed" but still can't make ends meet. Many have multiple jobs and still struggle to stay afloat. Many of the "jobs" offer no benefits.

Ohiomom, was right. Many Americans know the real story, because they are living it. Here on HT and elsewhere, I think many of the Trump supporters are retired (or on disability) and have no idea of the stark reality the younger generations face. How else would these people have so much time to travel to rally's and post non-stop on forums like this one?

3 Likes Save    
Jonnygun(zone 7)

No, the unemployment rate is not a leading indicator. I was just pointing it out as it is still better than in 2016. I also hope there is some light at the end of the tunnel when it comes to the issues with china. However, unless you are a roboticist, there is not much of a future in manufacturing jobs. The warehouse and retail jobs are clearly going to take a hit from any disruption to the China/US status quo. My hope, blindly, is for a more favorable rebalancing after all the dust settles. I don't know what would be worse, economically, 4 more years of Trump or whatever kooky idiocy some of the Democratic candidates are all about. It is also very dishonest to pretend that our problems with China pre Trump were small and insignificant.

Save    
HU9999

When a democrat is POTUS - good job numbers are fake.

When a republican is POTUS - good job numbers prove how good he is.

Illogical. Again.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by numbersjunkie
Kathy

Trade problems should be negotiated in good faith with a win win attitude. Instead Trump thinks the best way to deal is to break everything and start over with his demands and bullying as the starting point. Capitulation by the either is his goal and he isn’t successful. I can’t imagine why.

6 Likes Save     Thanked by numbersjunkie
Annie Deighnaugh

It is also very dishonest to pretend that our problems with China pre Trump were small and insignificant.

It is also ridiculous to think that some kind of trade war -- in which *everybody* loses -- is a way to reach a better deal with China when *no* goals or targets of what he expects to accomplish have been stated or addressed. Meanwhile, not only are jobs being lost and new supply chains being built which will *never* be brought back to the US...including Russian ag sales replacing US ag sales globally... but serious issues with US/China trade around things like piracy and technology thefts are going unaddressed.

So much winning! We can't afford any more winning!!

6 Likes Save     Thanked by numbersjunkie
katrina_ellen

"KMart is gone from Michigan - weird because KMart was HQ here. the auto industry is sketchy, "

Reallly? Kmarts been going out forever - many, many years ago they were struggling and only had a few stores left in recent history. The auto industry is no longer dominated by Michigan, not even close due to lower costs elsewhere, you know, the global competition effected the industry lol.

I know what's happening, Russia is behind it all, Trump sold our jobs out to Russian bots. LOL.

1 Like Save    
chase_gw

Sounds like he getting ready to cave on the tariffs but not until he can figure out how to call it a win. I don't know why he spends any energy on trying to put a positive spin on the things he does. His base will buy whatever he tells them.

7 Likes Save    
Kathy

Trump is worried about the economy and job numbers as a result of his tariffs. That is why he is backing off. We are tied in with China now, no matter how much we don’t like it. If they lose we will lose.

It will be inevitable the farmers have lost permanently. Trump bit off more than he can chew. Who knew solving trade problems was so hard?

5 Likes Save    
HU9999

negotiated in good faith

A phrase completely foreign to Trump. He has never done that his entire life. Those in NY, and anyone that's done business with him, know.

4 Likes Save    
JodiK

And what have you won, exactly? Coal remains a defunct industry, unemployment is up, companies are closing their doors, the economy is tanking, homelessness is up, farms are going under, etc... yeah, so much winning.

2 Likes Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

What would happen if china caves and agrees to no longer steal intellectual property and stop manufacturing the same "widget" to sell Americans at a cheaper price? Do US corporations get richer at US consumers expense? It's a serious question, has anyone looked at the resulting details? Will the price of widgets go up back home since china no longer makes them cheaper? I'm guessing probably. I watch the financial networks which complain about china's practices but they don' t talk about an outcome of a IP deal. Trump would declare "we won", but who really wins?

Save    
Rina

Kathy, interesting statement: If they lose we will lose. The Trumplet would not understand that. As far as he is concerned, there are winners (him) and losers (everyone else). Win-win? Lose-lose? What there is of the man's brain does not stretch to such difficult philosophical concepts.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Fun Houzz One Guy Found a $175,000 Comic in His Wall. What Has Your Home Hidden?
Have you found a treasure, large or small, when remodeling your house? We want to see it!
Full Story
Data Watch Houzz Survey Results: Remodeling Likely to Trump Selling in 2014
Most homeowners say they’re staying put for now, and investing in features to help them live better and love their homes more
Full Story
Houzz Tours 13 Character-Filled Homes Between 1,000 and 1,500 Square Feet
See how homeowners have channeled their creativity into homes that are bright, inviting and one of a kind
Full Story