recall effort against two Colorado Democrats ended quietly Tuesday

Prim Rose

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/09/10/colorado-recall-brittany-pettersen-pete-lee/

The recall effort against two Colorado Democrats ended quietly Tuesday when a group behind the efforts informed the Secretary of State’s Office that signatures would not be turned in.

The news came less than an hour before the deadline to submit the 11,304 valid signatures needed to put a recall election for Sen. Pete Lee, D-Colorado Springs, on the ballot. Supporters of the recall against Sen. Brittany Pettersen, D-Lakewood, had until 5 p.m. Monday.

“I am grateful that the voters in Senate District 11 have soundly rejected a recall effort initiated against me,” Lee said in a statement. He thanked supporters who spent the past 60 days “knocking on doors, staffing education booths and urging people to ‘decline to sign.’ You have been completely successful.”

The failed recalls are the latest in a string of unsuccessful attempts by conservative Coloradans to recall Democratic lawmakers. Two groups gathering signatures to challenge Gov. Jared Polis fell far short of their goal earlier this month, and another group withdrew its recall petition against Rep. Tom Sullivan, D-Centennial in June. Former state Rep. Rochelle Galindo resigned for reasons unrelated to her recall earlier this year.

Attempts to reach Scott Fisher and Nancy Pallozzi, the people who filed the paperwork to recall Lee and Pettersen, respectively, were unsuccessful.

Democrats, however, were quick to declare victory.

“It’s hardly a surprise that these bogus recalls failed to find support beyond the grifters, extremists and sore losers who hatched the ploys in the first place,” said Curtis Hubbard, a spokesman for Democracy First Colorado, one of the Democratic groups leading the recall opposition. “These scams were designed to raise money and collect data on voters in competitive districts, and all Coloradans — regardless of political affiliation — should be disgusted by the abuse of the recall process.”

One recall effort is still outstanding: Opponents of Senate President Leroy Garcia, D-Pueblo, have until the end of business on Oct. 18 to turn in signatures.

SaveComment12Like4
Comments (12)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Prim Rose

There is a minority in Colorado that is having a real hard time with heterogeneity.

In spite of claiming they live diverse lives - they sure hate the Dems movin' in.

1 Like Save    
cattyles

I know a nurse from Texas that moved to Colorado and moved right back. She said it was way too liberal.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Prim Rose
margaux

Are the Republicans there having trouble accepting their duly-elected representatives? Awwwww.......

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Prim Rose
Ziemia(6a)

"The recall effort against two Colorado Democrats ended quietly Tuesday when a group behind the efforts informed the Secretary of State’s Office that signatures would not be turned in."

Am I supposed to be outraged at this attempt by so-called conservatives to undo a valid election?

Save     Thanked by Prim Rose
Ziemia(6a)

PS: I now see it seems I copied margaux's thoughts. I did not. They are my own.

Outrage?

margaux

We were both thinking of all those times Trump supporters accused us of not accepting the outcome of his election.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Prim Rose
Ziemia(6a)

Prim Rose - my comment distressed you?

Prim Rose

I think we neither are understanding each other. so, just proceed with what you think.

Save    
Eat Well

It looks Ike the recall standards in CO will change because many deemed these recalls to be frivolous and a waste of money.

Save    
mrskjun(9)

hmm Eat Well, kind of like unending impeachment hearings?

Save    
cattyles

When did those occur? It’s an easy assumption. Trump seems to be craving impeachment. But no hearings yet.

Eat Well

No, not like hearings. More like twiddling with existing laws to fill republican coffers and gather data about voters.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
My Houzz My Houzz: 38 Years of Renovations Help Artists Live Their Dream
Twin art studios. Space for every book and model ship. After four decades of remodeling, this farmhouse has two happy homeowners
Full Story
Blue Pantone Has Spoken: Rosy and Serene Are In for 2016
For the first time, the company chooses two hues as co-colors of the year
Full Story
Barn Homes Houzz Tour: A Southern Vacation Home Trots Out Equestrian Style
Barn-recalling details give a home near horse stables a relaxed vibe that suits both the owners and the pastoral site
Full Story