SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
simeng_liu

New Home Countertop Seam questions

Simeng Liu
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi All,

This is my first thread. If I did anything wrong, let me know.

My house is being built by the new home builder. They just finished the countertops. I visited the site recently and find the seams in the middle of the island and perimeter countertops. I know it is common to have seams depending on the size/layout of the design.

The countertop style is granite. In the design document, it was described as "AZT SLATE GRAY 3CM SLAB" which is a upgrade option costs $5K.

I asked our construction manager why there are seams. He answered they are so large and have to piece two together.

I went to the model room which has the same floor plan and same layout of the kitchen. I didn't see any seams in the either island or perimeter countertops (It is not the same material as mine. seems like white granite. I'm not sure), which means this type of material can be made of countertops as this large without any seams.

However, I still have some questions about this since this is my first home buying.

1. If there are going to be seams in the countertop, should be warned or notified by the designer when we selected this type of material in design center?

2. I need someone's opinions to see if the seams are acceptable or I am too picky?

I have replied the construction manager's email, asked does SEAM happen to all same floor plans houses and why model house doesn't have seams? He doesn't reply me yet. I guess he will say because of the material I selected, which brings out my first question.

Thank you in advance.

Comments (11)