SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janet_barton2

Repeat blooming, climber, yellow rose, vintage or antique?

Janet barton
4 years ago

Did I mention deer-proof? as well as repeat blooming, yellow, climber, <1948. And it has to look beautiful, not one that is heavily prone to black spot :O)

I waded through some of the comments about deer proof and it appears that there is no easy answer.

So I am looking for a rose that could be induced to climb up this ailing cherry tree. That's how I hope to trick the deer - if the rose climbs above browsing level. You may notice that the roses in the rose garden to the right are reduced to canes, no leaves.

I would do this in an instant in my own garden, but this is a public garden, so it has to look good, too.

The attached picture is of a portion of the memorial/sacred/Japanese garden at the Gardens at Palmdale (http://gardensatpalmdale.com/). It is a new Garden Conservancy garden. It has elements from pre-mission (1797) to 1948 (which is the end of the period of significance of the garden). We are in the SF Bay area in Fremont CA.

The Japanese garden was planted in 1934 and then sometime later (perhaps during WWII) there were five grottos built by the Catholic owners. In 1948, the Sisters of the Holy Family bought the property and have taken care of it since then.

This grotto is Our Lady of Lourdes. She is associated with yellow roses on her feet. I was hoping there would be a perfect rose that was Japanese and yellow and a climber and a repeat bloomer.

Or something <1948 that is a climber and repeat bloomer.

Not asking too much? It's kind of a crazy idea, but before we cut this tree down, I wanted to explore all avenues. The tree is perfectly embracing the shape of the grotto.

Another possibility is to have a climbing white rose (with yellow stamens) and a wild-ish yellow rose at her feet.

Will make exceptions for exceptionally deer resistant roses!

I think someone mentioned that Rosa roxburghii was deer resistant (but not repeat bloom).

Janet Barton

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH