SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidfromdetroit

prompting lower growth on apple tree

davidfromdetroit
4 years ago

I have a young gala apple tree that I would like to espelier. It is about 5 and half feet tall and the thickest part of the trunk is about an inch and a half in diameter. I live in the Detroit, MI area. I would like to train the tree as an espelier, however the existing branching begins too high. I cannot train the existing branches horizontally because they are too high from the ground relative to where I want them. I need to somehow promote new shoots from the main trunk that are lower to the ground.

So, I have to somehow lob the top of the tree off and prompt new shoots lower down (or vice versa?). Can I get some general advice on how to best do that? In particular:

1) When should I execute the radical pruning; now in the fall, or wait until spring?

2) Should I somehow prompt new lower shoots BEFORE cutting the top off, or will cutting the top off (and all the branches with it) prompt the tree to send out new shoots on its own? And if I am to prompt new shoots prior to pruning, when and how is that best accomplished?

3) Is it ever safe to cut the whole top off (including all the branches and leaves) or will that kill the tree? Maybe better to leave at least one leafy branch to make sure I don't 'decapitate' the thing?

Thank you for your input....

Comments (7)