SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chelsea_schwartz37

Butler's Pantry or Coat Closet

Chelsea S
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We are building a new house and can't decide whether to have a coat closet under our stairs or to use the far end of the space as a pantry of sorts.The closet would open towards the living room and give us a great option for entryway clutter. Though we have adequate storage around the house, we currently dont have a good spot for that and we will definitely use it if we have it. We are a family of 6 and without someplace close to the front door to put shoes, bags, and jackets I know where they will end up- all over the living room or piled up in front of the door.Or we have the option to create a butler's pantry at the far end of our stairs facing the kitchen. It would be a recessed cabinet with counter top and a few recessed shelves. This would be the perfect home for my microwave, answering a much asked question in our kitchen design: where will our microwave live? We would be left with around 5ft of understair space on or living room end that will be unaccounted for. However, I worry that it would be too short to act as as closet? So then what do we do with that space? I hate to not utilize it...Without a closet we have clutter, without a pantry we are left to ask "microwave?...", or do we dare to try and have our storage cake and eat it too with a pantry and short closet combo? Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)