SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Best time of year to move ferns?

I have ferns amid the hostas in a particular naturalistic, woodsy bed. I am revamping the bed and decided to move the taller ferns to the back where they can help conceal the neighbor’s fence. Most of the hostas in that area are not tall enough to be seen amid them.

The ferns all came from a succession of plant swaps so I don’t know what they are. Could be ostrich ferns, but most are not tall enough to qualify. 2 feet is typical. I think they are lady ferns, or a mix of the two. They are lovely and I don’t want to kill them, just move them.

I started moving them to the desired location this summer, only to have them die (or go dormant?). When I originally planted them it was in late May. Most of these were just ripped out of the ground and brought to the swap in a plastic bag! So I figured they were not picky about transplantation. But yet they are not surviving when I dug them. They have been watered, plus we have had adequate rain - most of the time.

Some of the ferns that were ALREADY in the back all along, have died off for some unknown reason. Maybe that area – higher up on a slight incline – is insufficiently moisture retentive.

So… is spring the best time to move ferns? I will hold off if that is the best time. Thanks.

Comments (8)