SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danielj_2009

Still trying not to kill my phalaenopsis

danielj_2009
4 years ago

I had a thread going for about 3 years on a small two leaved phal I rescued. I was new to phal care and thought I'd see if I could get the plant back in good shape. Unfortunately Houzz has deleted that thread for some reason. This is the phal after I repotted it and it had a chance to start recovering two years ago:

Since that time the left leaf has just now wilted away, only after a third leaf grew. This is what it looks like as of now:

You can see the wilted leaf. So this thing is really good at growing roots. After a long time of inactivity two new roots are growing. There's also one growing out of the bottom of the pot. Maybe you can see what the problem is: It does not grow new leaves, much less even think about flowering. I'm doing everything I've learned in this forum and from an orchid expert I met - dilute orchid fertilizer, weekly watering, bark medium, etc.

The only thing I can figure is not enough light. It is in a north facing window and while it gets some bright "ish" light, it never gets any real filtered sunlight. In these photos the camera aperture opens up so it looks like more light than there really is. I have a west facing window that gets late direct sun through those thin white curtains. Maybe that is too much light?

Anyway, I'd welcome any suggestions that could get this thing growing instead of looking like a plastic plant!

Comments (66)