SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cactusmcharris

What Do I Have to Do?

cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

To stop getting this error message when I click on a link (only sometimes) within GardenWeb' forums:

This site can’t be reached

The webpage at https://r.eablink.com/?key=a982cfabb5482be54a4d3a52b21940d7&cuid=US&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.houzz.com%2Fdiscussions%2Fcacti-and-succulentsmight be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

ERR_CONNECTION_ABORTED

Is it cache clearing or something else entirely? It doesn't always happen, but this place has more glitches than glitter, so I figure it's something else. Thank you, Jeff

ETA - I smell malicious parasitic software installation, with the r.eablink...... there in the web address; OTOH, I don't know nothin'.

ETA#2 - Fortunately Norton has blocked it each time.

Comments (6)

• badabing2
    4 years ago

This is your anti-virus stopping you from going to a phishing site (as reported by Avast)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    Original Author
    4 years ago

bb,

Thank you. Any idea why I'm being redirected to there when I use a Houzz link, or, more importantly, not get redirected there in the first place?

• Polypompholyx
    4 years ago

You probably have some kind of malware on your computer that slipped past Norton. Looks like the malware is redirecting your browser to a page that Norton doesn't like and blocks. No idea why you're only being redirected while browsing Houzz. Usually trouble like this starts after installing a questionable program or browser extension. You might be able to remove it just by uninstalling the questionable whatever that was installed. Also, you can try downloading and installing the free version of Malwarebytes. I've had good results with that program. I'd install it, close all programs, disable Norton, then run a scan with Malwarebytes. After you've removed the trouble maker you might still need to reset your browser settings to default. After your computer is cleaned up you can uninstall Malwarebytes and switch Norton back on if it doesn't automatically switch on.

• Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
    4 years ago

"Fortunately Norton has blocked it each time."

I'm not a Windows person but I'm curious.

If Norton catches it and blocks it, does it offer to remove it?

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Richard, it doesn't consider it that type of threat. Just blocking it is enough.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath