SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bayarea_girl

Careless Love, JP 2020 Exclusive Preview Striped, & Tropical Lightning

Having striped roses is like having multiple rose bushes in one. Not everyone will like striped roses but once you get bitten by the bug, it's addictive.

1-5: Careless Love, a hybrid tea rose, discovered by Henry A. Conklin (United States, 1955) and introduced in the same year. I just got this rose from Rogue Valley Roses and the unique pink striped fragrance blooms are gorgeous. Even though this rose was discovered long time ago, it's timeless beauty. I love everything about this rose especially its name.

6-8: JP 2020 Exclusive Preview Striped, beautiful pink striped fragrance grandiflora rose. This rose is bred by the team at Jackson & Perkins. I got it this year, and it doesn't have an official name yet.

9: Tropical Lightning, a climber rose, bred by Pierre Orard (France, before 2011). The color of this rose is very unique with yellow, orange-red streaks, stripes, flecks, red flecks, ages to pink. It's thorny so it's best to plant in the back of the garden. It's very healthy in my garden .

Comments (10)

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Continue... Helen

• sautesmom Sacramento
    4 years ago

What a coincidence, I just posted today about Tropical Lightening! How does it grow for you?
    Carla in Sac

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked sautesmom Sacramento
  • mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    4 years ago

Love stripey roses! Very pretty!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
  • BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    4 years ago

Three beautiful stripes.

For many years the Henry Field catalog listed Careless Love on their newsprint catalog, nice to see a good pic of it.

Is JP2020 fragrant? Would you say it grows like a grandiflora?

Your Tropical Lightning is far more beautiful than the marketing materials when the rose was introduced, looks like a tiger rose.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • hugogurll
    4 years ago

There is no breeding team at J&P. Hasn't been for a long time. They dumped that department one or two owners ago. It's hard to keep track.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked hugogurll
  • joeywyomingzone4
    4 years ago

They are all so beautiful!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked joeywyomingzone4
  • jerijen
    4 years ago

" There is no breeding team at J&P. Hasn't been for a long time. They dumped that department one or two owners ago. It's hard to keep track. "

**** It's enough to make you weep.

And at this time, frankly, (given the RRD fiasco) I will buy roses out of those fields right about the time Hades freezes over, and we stage an ice-skating party there.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked jerijen
  • Ann9BNCalif
    4 years ago

Beautiful striped roses Helen! I love all them!

Ann

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Ann9BNCalif
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you everyone. I have been looking for Pink Intuition, but haven't found a nursery that sells it. When I saw the blooms of Careless Love, (in my eyes) I feel they look even better than Pink Intuition's. The blooms look so gorgeous, they look almost unreal :)

Jerijen, thank you for the heads up. I'll keep an eye on it.

Sautesmom, my Tropical Lightning is grafted on Dr Huey, grows well in my garden, and has no disease at all. It's pretty thorny but the blooms are so uniquely beautiful that it earns its spot in the back of a garden.

BenT, JP2020 has nice fragrance and it grows like a grandiflora. Tropical Lightning is a very special rose. Helen