SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seamom33

Guidance on sofa decisions

Seamom
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I have been researching nonstop, and I'm afraid that I am deep into analysis paralysis territory. I am really tired of thinking about this and hope that others may offer some guidance.

The issues: I have a small family room with an old sofa and chair that I bought from JC Penney over 20 years ago. They have definitely seen better days (in terms of stains and ripped fabric from the dog). But the cushions are still firm. From all my reading, it seems that mid-range furniture is fraught with problems of sagging cushions, and wrinkling and pilling fabric. This couch is heavily used. It gets slept on and eaten on every day. My DH is a slob. So, I don't want to spend a fortune on a replacement. It will kill me when he spills his first cup of coffee. But, I also don't want to look at a sad, sagging couch within months.

Here are some more constraints: the entry to the room is only 29 inches wide. So, I need a couch that (with legs off, if possible) is no higher than this. The room is not big, so, to prevent overlap of the arms of the couch and the chair, the length of couch plus depth of chair can't exceed about 125 inches. And I want three cushions, all removable.

I have identified the following possible contenders:

Biltwell Dario

Biltwell Desi

Flexsteel River

Stanton model336

Crate and Barrel? Dania? Bassett cu2 sofa was close, but the company itself has a lot of complaints.

Any experience with any of these brands? I have read through the 300 or so PB pilling complaints, and the flexsteel complaints on Houzz. The problem is that there don't seem to be any sofa lines that seem to get good reviews in this price range.

I would love to hear your experiences with these brands of recently bought sofas, as people seem to claim that many of these brands are not what they used to be. Also, opinions on the sofas above for TV-watching, lounging.

Thanks!!

Comments (36)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!