SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
premerson

Eagle Eyes Needed! Pros & Cons of Floor Plans

premerson
4 years ago

I value your opinion, so here goes!

Background: Planning to remodel half of our house - the half that has the kitchen, laundry room, family room and enclosed breezeway. This is the area of our house that we live in 90% of the time.
Our goal is to open up the kitchen, make the proportions between family room and kitchen not so extreme, reduce the number of doors/doorways, create an "official" mudroom and office for DH, enclose the toilet in a powder room, and maybe create a butler's pantry. Note: We don't want to mess with any exterior walls. Other than that, we're open to change.

The 1st picture is the As Built. The kitchen is at the very top (u-shape), laundry room is the room with the toilet, the room to the right is the family room with a bay window seat and the breezeway is the room at the very bottom of the picture. There is a small hallway between the breezeway and the laundry room which is used for shoes. The closet in this hallway has shelves where we store our board games.

In the kitchen, the range is on the long wall to the left and the refrigerator is on the right. The sink is under the offset window at the top of the image.

*Note: Ignore the spiral - it's covering our designer's contact info...

Version 1 - Caution: I did this myself so the measurements aren't exact. That's why the cabinets hang over into the bay window. This will be fixed if we go with this plan.

This version has the refrigerator on the left and the range is along the wall next to the bay window with an island across from it. The island has a microwave drawer at the end nearest the refrigerator. We really don't have a preference between microwave drawer or counter, etc., so that could easily change. The laundry room is now the butler's pantry with a powder room next to it. The washer/dryer has been moved around the corner. My husband's office would be in the breezeway with storage/mudroom across the room.

Version 2: This version is the most different from our current layout which means $$$. DH's office is in the former space of the kitchen. It also has a sink/wet bar. The former laundry room is now the kitchen and the pantry is our current coat closet. The laundry area is moved to the breezeway. Pam's Closet will hold my work stuff (signs, poles, etc.) and there's a closet above the existing HVAC for coats and things.

Version 3: This last version keeps the kitchen in its current place, but creates a pantry with the refrigerator moved to the wall of the bay window. Laundry and DH's office is in the breezeway space. The wet bar is in the family room across from the cabinets. Everything else is pretty straight forward.

Which is your favorite and why? Do you see any red flags in any of the versions? We just received these on Monday, so we're still mulling them over. TIA!

Comments (12)