SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1917craftsman

Old house living room room dilemma

1917craftsman
4 years ago

My Craftsman home is over 100 years old. I have struggled to find a good furniture placement i the living room . A few years back, the piano was right in the forefront, and thanks to Houzz advice, I moved it to the back of the room, We placed the armoire in the front corner, which houses the television. The speakers etc are all wired, these two pieces have to stay where they are, TV over the old fireplace just would not work here. However, my sofa plus two vintage chairs I recently --and probably mistakenly--bought from a neighbor's sale are now crowding the room. I though they would help with seating for guests, but now everything is tight. Without the club chairs, there is only the sofa and the old arts and crafts laddederback to sit in. Not very welcoming with guests--too much focus on television watching, not talking. With the chairs, it looks overcrowded. Should I just keep the one chair, have it redone in a light color? Keep both and get a smaller sofa? I had to move one of the chairs into the Dining room to get some space. The dimensions of the room are on the narrow side and with the piano, hardly any wall space, I am stuck. I tried the sofa in front to the windows and that looked crowded, too. Please help with any suggestions. As you can see, I have lots of antiques with not a lot of places to put them. The Shaker drop leaf table is also crowding the fireplace. I like my room, but don't see how to make it work and not be an obstacle course.

Help!

Comments (13)