SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yaelgk

Basement DIY- upgrading the floors but worried about water

Y Kramer
4 years ago

Hi everyone! I am totally not sure what to do here with the pink linoleum tile floors in the basement. I’m stumped.

So far for the basement DIY project we removed the wood paneled ceiling (lots of old mouse turds from when the previous owner had a rodent issue, good we worse masks), stripped all the old electric out and put up high hats with more and much better lighting (3,000k LED’s), spray painted the ceiling charcoal black ( took 6 hours with a one hours break... never again!) and we’ve so far done one layer of primer on the wood paneling walls and hope for two more layers when we’re less exhausted.

But the floor..... yuck!!!! We’ve had some water in the basement ( maybe a gallon puddle at most) during massive storms, we think we fixed the leaking from the window well and drainage on that side of the house but not 100% sure until a few more storms happen...

We would like to rejuvenate the room and upgrade the floor (without removing the old floor) for less than $1 per square foot. I know we’re crazy right.

So some options I’ve looked at and would LOVE feedback and some ideas.

1- painting the floor. Just seems like I’m all out of energetic for more painting but doable and cost effective. Worried how long it will last with kids playing there but paint and polyurethaning should hold up for a year or two minimally right.

2- adhesive carpet tile. I found for $1 per square foot. It’s easy and if we get water we can wet vac it up and out in a dehumidifier. The carpet squares I LOVE are really closer to $14 per square foot. The $1 I assume are super cheap. Dust, spit up, dog hair, general gross I’m sure will stick to it like a magnet.

3- linoleum or vinyl click tiles. Hard to find for $1 per square foot but we found a discontinued item that is water resistant and stunning. Do we risk it for $1 per square foot?!? If ester got under it it would survive but water would be trapped under there until we pick up the boards I imagine.

4- stick on vinyl tile. Maybe that’s the best way to go. I don’t love the options out there but if ester ever got into the basement it would be on top of this and we would just clean it up as we do now with the current tile.

Help!!!! Any suggestions?!? Because of the water possible issue I’m hesitant to spend too much but want to get the basement usable for the kids to play in.

• Some photos of the basement before and currently mid DIY

• some inspirational images for idea

• the flooring option that is water resistant laminate and $1 per square foot. Risk it or pass?!? And if pass then what should we do?!?

Comments (16)