SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keriwhat

Kitchen cabinet height for 9 ft ceiling

Keri
4 years ago

We are designing the kitchen for our new build, and we're trying to figure out what to do with the upper cabinets in our kitchen. We will have 9 ft ceilings. We're trying to impart a rustic theme to the house overall, including some faux wood beams on the kitchen ceiling. Currently our plan for those beams is to do the perimeter of the kitchen as well as a few across the room (though at this point it is not much more than rough idea). Our current plan for the upper cabinets is to have them 36 in tall, which would leave 18 in from the top of the upper cabinets to the ceiling. Here's my conundrum. I generally prefer the look of upper cabinets that go all the way to the ceiling, but the two things keeping us from doing that are cost and the fact that it would interfere with the wood beams. Also, we just don't need storage that goes up so high. I'm really worried that having so much space above the upper cabinets will make the kitchen look cheap. I'm not having much luck finding examples of what this setup would look like. I would greatly appreciate any advice or photos of something similar!

Comments (4)