SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abc1971

Tallest, narrowest fastigiate tree suggestions for privacy

abc1971
4 years ago

Hello, all.

Can anyone with good knowledge of trees recommend the fastest growing, disease resistant, fastigiate columnar tree that's attractive and can serve as privacy? I'd like my new trees to grow at least 30ft. Higher would be better but they can't get too wide. They could be 12-14ft in diameter. My goal is to block our view of these town homes that are being built on what was once a spacious lot for a single family home. See photos. Six town homes are now being crammed into what was once a small home with a huge backyard. I want to block our view of these disgusting boxes as much as humanly or....arboreally possible. :)

This is our backyard, by the way, where I will be planting. We use our backyard as a parking lot for several cars. We don't ever drive too close to the cliff of our retaining wall for obvious reasons. So if I plant something very close to the edge it can extend about 3-5 feet from center in all directions without being in our way and will not touch the new homes being built.

I want to plant something that will offer me the most privacy from top to bottom at the edge of our retaining wall. Oh, and if you were worried about the roots pushing up against our retaining wall causing failure we had a 40ft tall horse chestnut tree that was left to grow at the very edge of the retaining wall which caused no damage. With a width of nearly the same (40ft) I'm guessing and hoping that a much narrower columnar tree would cause no issues for our wall. Our retaining wall consists of boulders that interlock and slightly angle toward our property (the wall is ours). We cut the large tree down because the sap from the blossoms got all over our cars and the neighbors complained of falling spiky horse chestnuts. I had one fall on me once. Those spikes are not pleasant. It was so annoying with suckers growing everywhere in addition to the chestnuts themselves germinating everywhere.

I'm happy to keep it simple by planting a row of the same species. I could live with trees that have somewhat of a bare trunk (and therefore don't offer total blockage/privacy from the ground up). Evergreens are ideal but deciduous can be nice too like the Mountain Sentinel Aspen Tree or the Armstrong Gold Maple. I'm also kinda loving the Liquidambar styraciflua Slender Silhouette SweetGum. The height and width seem perfect for my needs. But it seems impossible to find anywhere locally and even through mail order. I could live with bare branches in the wintertime. I'm even considering the Italian Cypress since it is very narrow. But some articles online I've read about potential diseases that afflict the Italian Cypress kinda concern me. I'd even be wiling to live with a little bit of space between the Italian Cypress as they looks quite stately and regal. Planting them to create a solid wall would take away from their dramatic appearance, in my opinion. In the photos I'm including you'll see the Leyland Cypress in pots. We just bought twelve of them for a great price at Home Depot and were going to try and train them into a living hedge. But since they are going to be so close to a cliff with a 12ft drop I don't want to risk serious injury by falling in the process of manicuring them 2-3x annually. I didn't think it through when we bought them but thankfully I can return them. It's too bad, I think they are so beautiful.

We don't want to plant bamboo; that's not the look we're going for. We also want to plant as close to our house as possible and the neighbors' garage (where the old horse chestnut used to grow) in order to create the longest solid looking row as possible but of course we don't want to cause any foundation issues. I read online that noninvasive species can be planted as close as 4ft to the house. Is this really possible? I'm hoping it is.

I know all my criteria make for a tall order but I'm willing to be flexible. We are also thinking of the Green Giant Thuja arborvitae. But that's such a ubiquitous tree in the Seattle area; I'd like to plant something more interesting if possible.

Sorry to ramble on so long. Just wanted to be as thorough as I possible in describing what I'm looking for. Hope to get some suggestions. Thank you.

Comments (13)