SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elmerjfudd

Branch from chisue's Where to spend winter, different topic

Elmer J Fudd
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

So as not to completely inundate chisue's important thread, I thought it better to continue the side discussion here

Lindsey, if you'll permit me to transfer your comment, said:

"elmer, that entire area used to be part of Mexico, so should we refer to it as Mexico rather than South Orange County, El Toro, or Lake Forest? Although Lake Forest did not incorporate as a City until 1991, there is a specific area that was most definitely known/called Lake Forest in the late 1970s and early 1980s. In Sacramento County, the areas known as Carmichael (population 61,762 as of the 2010 Census), Fair Oaks (population 30,912 as of the 2010 Census), Orangevale (population 33,960 as of the 2010 Census), Folsom (population 78,038 as of the 2010 Census), and Gold River (population 7,812 as of the 2010 Census), to name a few areas, are all unincorporated and known as "Census-designated areas" but they each have their own ZIP Codes, and I can assure you the residents would argue with you if you told them that they don't exist.

Oh, let's not forget "the Pocket." If anyone in the greater Sacramento area says, "I live in the Pocket," everyone else in the greater Sacramento area knows exactly where they're talking about. (Population in the Pocket is somewhere around 30,000.)

Also, it's just as easy to look up UCI Medical Center as it is to look up Disneyland, and I mentioned the three freeways only as a point of reference to the fact that it is easy to get to."

Very true about being part of Mexico. And most of the state was part of Spain before that. Except there's no relevance to that other than the tradition of using Spanish language names because the name El Toro was given to the area in 1888 by the Santa Fe railroad (according to the OC Historical Society), when California had been part of the US for decades. When I became a driving teenager in the late 1960s that area was bare or ag land and was called El Toro because of the Marine Air Station of that name. There was little or nothing there except the base.

I know nothing about the Sacramento area. For me, it's the driving equivalent of a flyover state. I've driven through many times to get elsewhere but otherwise know little about it.

The general location of Disneyland in broad terms is the one place people from out of the area might know about OC without any look up at all. That was why I commented as I did.

Thanks for this polite comment, I tried to follow the same tone.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio