SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sincerely_kristen

Southern Living Plan 1459 (SL-1459) "Center Hall" - Feedback!

Hello! I'd love to hear (and LOVE to see photos) from anyone who has built this floor plan. Thank you!

Comments (21)

• PRO
    PPF.
    4 years ago

• PRO
    PPF.
    4 years ago

What makes you ask about this plan?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

She may be wanting to make fun of the people that built such a house?

• D N
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I have to say that I’ve never seen closets so tiny outside of my beloved 100-year-old Craftsman houses. That’s kind of amazing.

Edit to add: OP, I hope that didn’t sound snarky. I was just genuinely stunned. I thought it was now mandatory or something that every closet be larger than my main floor bathroom!

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

I grew up (in a family of six) in a similar house (with a small stretch of the imagination), a 1900's bungalow. It had one bathroom (two more behind the barn), three bedrooms (parents, boys', and girl's), a crooked steep 12 riser stair (that we had to duck our heads to avoid hitting the second floor, I am the shortest of the boys at 6'-4"), five foot wide closets with a 24" door, and a kitchen that had to be walked through to get from the upstairs to the rest of the house. I learned a lot about what not to do in a house design from that home. Not that any of the bad features were detrimental, just that there are better ways of doing it.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    4 years ago

It looks somewhat similar in layout to traditional center hall houses in the south. Those often had double entry doors instead of a single door and had another pair of double doors at the rear so that both sets of doors could be opened for ventilation. Ceilings were high which allowed hotter air to rise and the relatively cooler air to sink toward the floor (relatively being the operative word here). They usually have porches - both front and back and often wrap around porches which provided outdoor living space. Kitchens were often located in a lean to at the rear. Your plan is functional but could use a bit of reorganization and improvement. Would definitely include porches to provide outdoor space.

• Sincerely Kristen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

EDIT TO ORIGINAL POST: I want to see photos of this floor plan after it has been built. I posted here to see if anyone here in forums has photos of the interior, etc.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

I would think that after all the "feedback" you received about this design you would not want anything to do with it. If the plan give you some sort of "vision" of a house you would like to build and live in, throw the plan away and take your "vision" to a local architect that can design a home with you that will meet your needs and fit your site. Good luck, keep us posted. We'll try to not be too harsh.

• PRO
    PPF.
    4 years ago

Do you want to see pictures because you are thinking about building this plan?

What do you like about the plan?

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    4 years ago

An American four-square...sorta...!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

I too am curious since seeing the interior would really not help much as far as function goes and someone elses style is not yours. My concern is the PR next to the DR, the small closets, the DR too far from the kitchen and the bathroom upstairs too far from the bedrooms.I agree with Mark take your ideas to an architect . By the time you fix this plan all the changes would have cost as much as a good plan to start with. I am curious to know what you love about the plan.

• ci_lantro
    4 years ago

Our first home was a 30x30 late 1920's era Foursquare. That house made much more efficient use of floorspace than this plan does.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned how much wasted space there is in the hallways. Or asked where the laundry room is. Remarked about the barrier island in the kitchen or the trek from kitchen to dining room. Or the complete lack of linen storage.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

Linen storage goes in each bedroom closet.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    4 years ago

Or in the garage...

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    4 years ago

I like the fact that the upstairs hall is as big as the area allowed for the kitchen table....or is that supposed to be a walkway and all meals are eaten in the dining room? You would save money on clothing because there wouldn't be any space to store it in the closets. ;-(

• Sincerely Kristen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Too all who are commenting on the size of closets, etc... Thanks for the concern, lol, but we are ok with increasing the scale of the house if needed. For seven years we lived in a 1200sqft house with only three small coat closets and one full bathroom, so we know what we are looking for and what works for us. ;) I’m more interested in the layout/flow and would like to hear from people who have actually built this plan and/or walked through it.

• Sincerely Kristen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ci_lantro - Yes I agree about the hallways. I like the flow it provides but you‘re right about the wasted space. I have been torn between a four square and a center hall design. I like both!

• Sincerely Kristen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

RNmomof2zone5 - Currently we have a kitchen island just big enough for two bar stools. We usually have breakfast here on the weekends (It’s just two of us). We have a dining room table for dinners and company, but we often eat our dinner on the couch (bad habit I know!). But I love only having one dining table. I hate the idea of having a dining room that’s only a handful of times each year. I love homes where every space is utilized. We moved from a 1200sqft home to a 2250sqft home and there are two rooms that we never use, so I think our next home we can scale it back just a touch, make the kitchen a bit larger, and we will end up around 1800-2000sqft with no “dead space.”

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

"I hate the idea of having a dining room that’s only a handful of times each year."

So instead of having a home designed for your needs and wants, you are hunting for other people's houses that you can adjust your lifestyle to. AND you are looking for images of interior decoration that shows very little of the architecture. Any images you find will most likely be trying to show you how pretty the interior decoration is, not the functionality of the design. Are you being mislead or are you misleading yourself?

• Sincerely Kristen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yesterday I sketched out my dream layout (loosely based on this plan) and I know who I’m not hiring!