SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

Best way to label potted plants?

Lynn Nevins
4 years ago

Hi everyone. So over the years have been trying to figure out the best ways to label all my container plants on my balcony. I typically have been using a white hard plastic you know typical plant marker and then I use an opaque oil-based paint marker. I've no idea why I chose this particular marker but perhaps I had read somewhere that it was a good marker to use for such purposes. However one thing I noticed is that usually after a few months the writing has worn off the plastic stake label. However one thing I think I'm also noticing and maybe it's not just my imagination is that the part of the label that seems to have become the lightest is the portion that is protruding out from the container and is exposed to the elements.
So my current plan is to start putting all these stakes all the way down into the soil to protect it from the elements. Maybe that will help it retain the writing better. In the meantime I'm just wondering what anybody else his thoughts are on or whatever their own tricks are for keeping the label markers legible.
Another thing that I tried to do one time was to keep the labeling more simple and just label each part as container number one, container number to Etc and then from there I would have a file on my computer that spelled out what was in container number one what's in container number two and the basic attributes that I need to be aware of such as this plant needs full sun vs this plant needs to be constantly moist soil Etc. But the truth is I don't keep up with the computer file. So instead I use the plant markers to put real basic information such as what I mentioned you know Sun requirements soil requirements whether it's prone to any particular type of past etcetera.
Anyway again any tips on labeling for outdoor plants would be greatly appreciated PS2 sent using voice to text please ignore any weird typos

Comments (13)

Sponsored