SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
getgoing100_7b_nj

Adenium seedling caudet without cotyledons-living in suspended animati

My first batch of adenium seed germination were a bust. It was cold even indoors. Most seed rotted, some germinated only to succumb soon after but one that never grew proper cotyledon lives on. It has some root system but no top growth and this zombie lives on for a few months now without doing anything. Is there any hope I should put it out of its mysery?

Comments (9)

• bragu_DSM 5
    4 years ago

patience grasshopper

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So you think it could still start growing leaves one of these days. Seed sown 10 days back now have first set of true leaves and this guy is several months old.

• Maria Elena (Caribbean - USDA Zone 13a)
    4 years ago

Hi, GG_NJ,

When I first started seed grown adeniums, I used to "help" with the removal of their seed caps, which I later learned is a no-no. Did you do the same? While most will come off easily when moistened, some do not ... These have a membrane that holds on for dear life and simply will not budge. Forcing them will literally tear their tiny heads off, unbeknownst to us. Or perhaps a bird pecked its head off.

Mine looked just like yours. They never grew a leaf because they had no apex, where the hormone auxin is produced, prompting the tip to put out leaves and grow. We are looking at only what eventually could've been a caudex. EVERY seedling of mine that looked like that very surprisingly held on for months, then eventually atrophied and died. No leaves equals no photosynthesis.

If you want to keep it, like I did, experience is a great teacher. And you'll be able to tell the story.

All the best & happy growing,

Maria Elena

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Latin lady. I may have done exactly that. I have grown plenty of plants from seed but adeniums are truly challenging (the only others I have found similarly challenging are verbena, delphinium and calibrachoa). I have only managed to get three proper seedlings so far after attempts at 3 batches using almost 40 to 45 seeds. I am sure you are correct that this one is destined to die after a truly unproductive life due to my well intentioned cruelty. What I have learnt is that one must wait until summer to sow, find a really well draining mix (Pete and perlite often doesn't cut it, sandy mix is probably better) and not disturb the seeds/seedlings no matter how curious you get until a true set of leaves at least clearly formed if not fully grown. Anyhow, I don't really want to grow a dozen adeniums just a couple would be nice if they survive. Meanwhile, chicken that I am, I never have the heart to kill a seedling. So this guy can carry on its zombie life..

4 years ago

That's how we learn. You are correct ... Adeniums should only be planted when we are in growing season, unless you plant to use heat pads and lamps. Additionally, you cannot let seedlings go dormant or they will die ... They just don't have the reserve for it. Use the search feature to read other posts on this topic from persons in the tri-state area. It's been discussed. Even here in the Caribbean Adenium seedlings can dampen off due to the cool overnight dampness during Jan/Feb at 68-72 degrees F, even though daytime highs can be at 84 degrees F. I try to stick to April 1, but sometimes get itchy fingers and deviate at my own risk.

Substrate is another monster to be reckoned with. It really depends on where you are ... the growing culture. What works for your region will not work for mine. I would use a gritty mix for your region. For my region, cactus mix with 1/3 part added perlite and a little river sand is perfect. I grow my adeniums in full sun under the elements and have not had much problems with rot. It can rain 6 straight days and they are fine in that mix ... HERE. Anywhere else, that would equal rot.

Where are you getting your seeds? That will make a big difference. If you opt to purchase on eBay, go to a reputable hybridizer, like KO Adenium in Taiwan. You can bid on his auctions or order outright. Just go into his store and find the 2019 seed catalogue. copy and paste the ones you want into an email (address all the way at the bottom of his page). He will send you a final invoice after about 4 days with an added $4 charge no matter how many seeds you purchase. That covers the mailing of the seeds and a phytosanitary certificate. I and many on this site can vouch for KO ... Try him next season.

Take a look at my ideabooks to see the KO seeds I've purchased and what I got ... Not always the same, but that's the nature of the beast. Adenium seeds are not true to parents. They carry their entire DNA, just like people and single pink is the Eve of all adeniums.

Maria Elena.

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I bought 20 mixed seeds for 3 bucks from a seller in Texas on ebay. I have never grown adeniums before so I wanted to start with minimum expense and expectations. The seller sent me another 25 seeds for free when I complained of low germination rates (4-5 if I remember right) which all proceeded to their demise soon enough but for the zombie (which I eventually pulled out to find it a bit squishy and with very little root system, so it was finally discarded). Of the next 25, four have survived and are doing well so far. I hope they get large enough before winter is here. They are on the windowsill (anything that size outdoors flies away in a thunderstorms - I have lost the only two calibrachoas I had grown from seed and a newly rooted mandevilla cutting this way)

4 years ago

They are tropical plants and can be difficult to cultivate in the Northeast without grow lights and the warmth they need to thrive. They need lots of sun and 80+ degree temps to develop. The Northeast only offers 4 months of growing season for warm weather plants. and these cannot be allowed to go dormant while young.

I recommend you purchase a 3+ year old adult plant from Lowe's or Home Depot when you see one on sale and apply the growing culture for your region. It is possible to over-winter an adult plant there successfully and enjoy their blooms year after year. You can reach out to other forum members in your region to learn how to do that.

Much success to you.

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think they will be fine indoors at 65-70 degrees (F) on a southeast facing window during winter. I supplement all sun hungry plants with grow lights when I bring them indoors for the winter. I have successfully grown most plants as perennials indoors that are treated here as annuals. I don't let them grow dormant, I just treat them to additional light indoor warmth and a humidifier. I have a mandevilla in its second year. So I think the obesum seedlings will not go dormant and hopefully keep growing and give me blooms this time next year. :) we shall see...

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting