SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redreadreed

First Floor Lighting Design Is a Hot Mess

Marilyn B
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi, Houzzers.

I’m getting ready to change my first floor lighting design. The builder’s electrician must have been under the influence when they put in the lights. The first floor is a garage, stairwell to second floor, and hall to the main living, dining, kitchen area. Basically that open floor plan area is one large room with three functions. The electrician designed the lighting as three separate rooms and used Home Desperate builder grade quality fixtures.

I’d like a lighting plan that treats the open floor plan as one space, as much as possible. I havd consulted two electricians about the light distribution and haven’t been impressed with their suggestions. I am meeting a third this morning and hope for better suggestions. I’d love to hear any suggestions from Houzzers.

Here’s the kitchen area. Basically looks like the lights were thrown up randomly. From here, the dining area is behind me and the living area is to the right of the dining table.

Ugly chandelier over dining table.

Living area.

Bonus shot of misaligned hall lights. I understand why the lights are placed as they are but would not have done so myself. is it better to get the domes out and replace them with recessed lights? Will recessed lights cause a spotlight effect or will the light spread out? I plan to put a more attractive fixture by the front door and to align the other two hall lights regardless

Comments (2)