SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ckhilb

Flowering Seeds, when to plant

ckhilb
4 years ago

I'm in Zone 7B, in Oklahoma, where it has been so hot with temps in the 100s,

Thankfully today it has been cool with much needed rain showers.

I have not been gardening for 10 years, due to my health.

But Now i have a daughter how is kinda off into flowers. So I thought I would have her add seeds to a bed alongside the house. What I need to know is when do I need to plant the seeds, I was thinking in late fall, but another person at another site said to plant the seeds now directly in the soil. ( I don't think that would be a good Idea)

The bed that I will use runs about 2-3 from the house to the sidewalk. and the bed is maybe 24-35ft long, aout 12 feet is in front of the front porch.

The house has a 2-3 ft hang over.

Since I cannot weed the beds, the beds will need to be chocked full of flowers

I bought some Mexican Petunia _tall Purple mix and have planted them at the end of the house ( I received them as plants and I had them in buckets so they could recover from the shock of the mail.

The are now planted in the flower bed at the end of the flower bed that is L shape right at the end.

I will plant seeds not as tall in front.

I would like to plant the tall Phlox in the very back.. and group the coneflowers in small circles with a taller plant behind it.

( talls need to behind something as in Oklahoma the winds( store of just it being a windy day) can brake over a tall plant

I will need to plant other flowers in front of the porch ( the flower bed is on ground level the porch is a 2 steps up. and is open without a rail. its OPEN

Can anyone help me in where the seeds need to be planted according to/from house. and If they can be planted in the fall, or plant in pots outside once spring in on the way back. then transplant to the flower bed once they are strong enough.

I think the Phlox seeds need x amount of cold time before they will grow.. ( maybe fall planting Directly into the beds? or into the pots ( Mine are the 1 gal. fabric pots) that I have on the back porch on a bakers rack ( broken back 2017) I can still walk, but bending is a problem, as I cannot sit on the ground anymore.

But I have a long handle Cuilt-hoe and the flower bed I plan on using is covered in mulch.

We also have Mostly sand for Soils

Thank you so much!

here is the seeds I bought:

Alyssum- White and Royal Carpet (purple)

Mixed Annual Phlox (Phlox Drummondll)

Phlox Beauty Dwaft

Phlox –Grandiflora Tall Mix

Shasta Daisy

Purple Coneflower

Red Cornflower (firebird)

California Poppy

Dwaft Hollyhock Queeny mix

Dwaft Hollyhock Majorette

Hibiscusi- Lady Baltimore

Evening primrose Pink

Mexican Petunia Pink ChiChi

Canna Indic aver. Maculata gold and Red Spotted. ( was free with order) I don't think I even seen a Canna from Seed, or if you could get some to really grow into a plant, but my experiences has only been with the roots, more then likely I will not plant) unless in a pot to amuse myself.

MalvaMixed

Nicotiana Alata Flowering ( a free with order)

Zinnia Elegans Cactus Mix

*Morning Glory- Milky Way & So Pretty ( free w/order, not going to plant) Morning Glories tend to take over in our zones,

*Rose of Sharon-white W/ red center ( Not going to plant, I ordered but have plants so they are no longer needed)

Comment (1)