SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ljsalkin

Central Vacuum & Alternatives

Lynne
4 years ago

We're building a 3 story, ~4,000 square foot house. A central vacuum was nowhere in our plans, but our contractor has asked if we wanted one and I'm second guessing our emphatic "no's." We have no pets, just two small children. The bedrooms will be carpeted, tile on the lowest floor, and hardwood on the main floor. For the moment, I have a housecleaner who brings her own vacuum. The place I could see using it most is on the main floor to clean up crumbs in the kitchen and dining room - maybe in the garage to quickly vacuum the car. I do not spend much time cleaning and am kind of lazy (i.e., terrible about putting things back, or taking things out - like a broom or mop - if they're not convenient). Was thinking of possibly installing a Sweepovac in the kitchen. We have said yes to a lot of extras, so spending another $3k on a central vac is not that appealing, but I want to make sure I'm thinking this through while the walls of the house are still open. Curious about other solutions that are easy and would cost less then a central vacuum system.

Comments (37)