SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
turnby

Help, Install Modular Looking Built In Shelving???

turnby
4 years ago

We are building a home and are in the midst of a design dilemma. We were thinking about adding floor to ceiling "compartment" like shelving from the right side edge of the fireplace and continuing out towards the dining room window. I'm concerned as to how wide we can make the shelving and have it look aesthetically pleasing. I am of the thought that while the built ins would look cool, that there is probably not enough space to pull it off as I feel like the dining room window needs to look, for the most part, centered and that by extending the built-in's further out, it would mess up the visual balance. The wall between the fireplace and dining room window is approx 77" (6' 5").My husband is wanting to have the shelving built out to a width of about 5 1/2 ft -which would essentially bring the edge of the shelving to about a foot from the edge of the window. He thinks having the dining table centered up with the window is enough and that we just need to put pictures on the other side of the wall to balance it out. What say you?

Of note, It is an open floor plan with the living room, dining room and kitchen all occupying basically a large rectangular shaped room. The last photo is of another house in the neighborhood that did this. Although their floor plan is different and they have a short wall that the shelving butts up to on the right side, next to the kitchen. Which leaves their kitchen window centered

Nash · More Info

Nash · More Info

Nash · More Info

Nash · More Info

Comment