SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
corinne_masterson

Is this dining room mirror too small?

I have a giant gallery wall on the adjacent wall if that matters. No i don’t have anything to put underneath the mirror, there isn’t enough space. It’s already too small of a space for a dining room but my health and happiness depends on making that table set work.

table measurements are 66”x38”

mirror measurements are 31”x23”

Comments (52)

• AC LB
    4 years ago

The width looks good but it needs to be longer.

Corinne Masterson thanked AC LB
  • Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Like taller? How much taller?

• Related Discussions

Too small dining room for special occasions....

Q

Comments (2)
    I used the living room. I pushed the couch against a wall, took all the tables and chairs and scattered them around the house, and put two eight-foot-long banquet tables in the empty space. Around here, Thanksgiving Dinner cannot be eaten outdoors most years! The big TV armoire stayed in the LR, so football fans could keep an eye on the games. In the dining "L", I would put most of the drinks and other odds and ends on the dining table, pushed into a corner. We always had lots of crock-pots going because we had the regular dishes and the vegan versions (no butter, no broth, no cream, no meat, no poultry). Luckily, DH and his sister (the usual vegetarian guests) would eat an UnTurkey, so I did not need to make another main dish, DH just put it in the oven after the turkey came out for carving. I think the most we had for dinner was 17. If it were 12 or so, we would put the two banquet tables together side-by-side and have a large center space for the food.
    ...See More

Finishing dining room: these picture are too small but....

Q

Comments (21)
    Your room is beautiful. Nature themed photographic art is a very good choice to make the room less "sterile". Regarding the framing, IMO, the single vertical frame with 2 photos looks too wide for the space (cramped on the right side). Hanging 2 separate frames vertically looks too narrow for the space a't nd hanging them horizontally side by side is like putting a panorama or a wall that needs more something taller to look right on the wall. Artwork above the buffet is definitely too low, doesn't seem a good match with the room or the other images. The right art and good track lighting on it would make the room. Photographic art is my area of expertise, so my suggestion(s) are: 1. A single vertical frame for the 2 prints that is a few inches narrower; or 2. Consider hanging the 2 frames one above the other but offset - to give more vertical presence as well as more width - that will fill the space better; or 3. Hang these 2 somewhere else and get 1 image about 3x the size of these and frame it to look proportionally right on this wall; or 4.Get 2 more prints and do a grouping of 4 framed prints.
    ...See More

Chandelier sizing too small? 100”w dining table

Q

Comments (8)
    so its all preference. personally i think it is fine but i also put a circlular chandeler above my rectange table (gasp). But I love it. the best way to figure out if it will bug you is to use painters tape on the top of your table. if it looks too small to you there, it will look too small hanging.
    ...See More

New house. Living room and Dining room too small.

Q

Comments (26)
    Hi. No reason you cannot create a to scale floor plan now. Any decision in the living room needs to be done in conjunction with the new plan for the porch. (where door openings are positioned are important). 2 love seats are not functional. They are not facing the tv and adults that are not a couple don't like sitting in them. The best arrangement is always a sofa and 2 chairs. Having said that, if, for some reason you love having a chaise, then the argument could be made for that. I recommend a removable chaise for future flexibility. If you really don't have guests or it is seldom, you could use only the sofa in the room and bring in extra chairs for when guests visit.
    ...See More
  • Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Don’t leave me hanging !!! Hallp!

• calidesign
    4 years ago

It's a pretty mirror but it needs to be much larger to be used alone on that wall. I like the idea of a mirror there so you get the light without detracting from your other artwork.

Corinne Masterson thanked calidesign
  • tatts
    4 years ago

It's too small and you need a mirror there with a frame. That just gets lost with edges that fall away to nothingness. On a small wall in a powder room that it almost fills? Yes.

Does a mirror in that spot reflect anything worth seeing when seated at the table? If no, put art there.

Corinne Masterson thanked tatts
  • Daniel OConnell
    4 years ago

Especially with the visual weight of the art on the adjacent wall, you are right in wondering if this mirror is too small. I'm not big on the shape, either. And as for function, it'll mostly give odd reflections (not saying anything here about you or your family members, just what you'll see in it when you're seated. But then again...). A mirror this size would need less artwork on the adjacent wall, and then both walls would have objects that are too small.

Corinne Masterson thanked Daniel OConnell
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

A mirror that is antique glass IMO is often better in a dining room so that people cannot see their perfect reflection.

Another option is to place a number of mirrors on the wall to give you the sparkle.

Corinne Masterson thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    4 years ago

Since the room is already quite narrow I would opt for a mirror that has more width than height, which is also better in that it would be high enough that people aren't forever gazing at themselves. An antique mirror would be lovely and would pair well with your gorgeous chandelier. Do please move your paintings further apart. They would of course benefit from frames but those do get rather pricey. I applaud the fact that you have some nice oils to decorate your space with. Infinitely better than box store prints that have no soul.

Corinne Masterson thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Thank you !!

Bev I see why your suggestions work better. I was half hoping to hang the mirror so high that it wouldn’t really reflect the people sitting down. I guess that isnt a solid plan?

Man I thought I was doing something clever with a frameless mirror since all of my art is frameless! Lol I guess my plan was a flop

Ingrid- thank you! <3. Etsy has fantastic paintings for really reasonable prices. Oddly they are all from Ukraine and Germany. Also really?? You think it’s ok if I move them farther apart? I was honestly thinking the same but my fear was that then they would be SO much wider than my table. I guess at this point it doesn’t matter. It’s already clearly an oversized gallery wall, might as well spread them out

Also if I get a wider mirror is it ok if that mirror is wider than my 38” table? I agree about having a horizontal shape

side note does anybody else notice how awful the autocorrect is on this site?

• AC LB
    4 years ago

Ugh, I’m sorry... my phone died! I love the mirror you have, but think it needs to be taller. I like the advice the others have given. Before my phone died I was going to suggest possibly hanging it vertically with sconces on both sides to add to the width. Or like the previous houzzer suggested a new mirror all together.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Skip ANY mirror!! Add a "view" to the cramped space with a full wall mural, then re hang that art as well. Give each piece a bit of room to BREATHE. Put the "man" on the opposite wall and just the three smaller on the wall you have. Instead of the mirror? See below.........and OPEN the space to a beyond. ...... alleviate the jammed in feel : )

https://www.wall26.com/wall26-scenic-tuscany-landscape-with-rolling-hills-and-valleys-p-58383?gclid=CjwKCAjwnf7qBRAtEiwAseBO_EElszqhpAvwIuUFxaS48K98csL-2diSuY_BQIm3tg1VdxxB6uC6lRoCMPYQAvD_BwE

https://www.muralsyourway.com/p/tuscany-vineyard-rf9121734/?keyword=&gclid=CjwKCAjwnf7qBRAtEiwAseBO_O-voT2siFfi6QqSECYDCr_1ZW8ip2ob5cgrXagk4rVqrI1Ll1mNchoC87MQAvD_BwE

Corinne Masterson thanked JAN MOYER
  • ilikefriday
    4 years ago

ITA with Jan Moyer. A full wall mural is a much better selection for your space than a mirror.

Corinne Masterson thanked ilikefriday
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Connie, mirrors and art two different animals. Both wall decor, but I would have never made the connection of frameless art and frameless mirror.

Also, I haven't seen the total room so I can't even comment about the art that is all collected in one small area. That might not be right for the room. All these decisions must be made in connection with one another and not separately.

I like the unframed art with the rustic nature of your furnishings and therefore I showed a mirror that was rustic in appearance.

Mirrors and canvas art are not the only solutions for walls in dining rooms. See below

I think this collection of brushes or old brooms could be quite nice in a dining room

Always like to include wood farming implements on walls.

Repeating an object is also a great wall treatment.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

One BIG important element, ( that's what a floor to ceiling mural is) takes the place of a ton of clutter or doo dads on the wall. Especially in a tight space already dominated by wood and earth tones. You don't have a window or view.........so add the pretend view. : ) to the entire wall. I bet a tech here on Houzz whiz can put that in there for you, Right ladies??

• ilikefriday
    4 years ago

I am not sure I would do any of the last three, well maybe I would do the clown. I just think they are kind of funny.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

That mountain scenic could look GREAT!

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Jan I am definitely in the “one big thing versus many smaller things” camp. I am also a little apprehensive about hanging doodads lol- I tend to be a bit more traditional when it comes to the things I prefer to hang.

You all are sort of selling me on the big “mural” thing. I really thought a mirror was the answer but I do see the value in a pretend view.

Maybe I’ll start looking around on Etsy.

* About how big should I be going for in order to get the desired mural effect?

Can I put a mirror somewhere else in this room? I’m currently shopping for a tiny bar cart about 24” or less in width that is taller than my table. Planning to put it in the back right corner (to the right of where I placed the mirror).

• ilikefriday
    4 years ago

Corinee - Why wouldnt you go as big as the entire wall for a mural?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Any mural conflicts with the art selected for the room. No mural for this room. There was nothing wrong with Corinee wanting to select a mirror.

Murals are for spaces with S P A C E so you can stand back and see what effect has been created.

Additionally, IMO a mural that hints at an image is far more interesting than one where the image is HD perfect.

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Friday: I wouldn’t go whole wall mostly because of cost/logistics

Bev that is a good point- it is a tiny room. The image (whatever it is) would be squished for sure, which very well could create a Willy Wonka effect.

When I toss treats to my one cat he has this habit of immediately dropping the treat he is eating in order to run over to the next treat that he sees me drop. He does this over and over until there are little piles of crumbs and half eaten snacks all over the floor.

As I take in this conflicting advice I realize where my cat gets this habit from lol. “Ooh! This is a good idea!“. “Actually no THIS is a good idea.” “Ooh how about THIS!”

• ilikefriday
    4 years ago

Corinne I totally get the thing with the cat. I like one thing one day and something totally different the next. I am sure that murals don't come cheap. I would suggest the largest piece of art that you can afford for that wall. I love murals and have one in my dining room. I disagree with Beverly's assessment that a mural would conflict with the other art. I think that depends on the subject of the mural. I don't think the clown is the way to go but because of the expression, it highlights the other paintings. So does the man in the middle photoshop. If you are creative with the subject, that wall can draw attention to rather than conflict with your other pieces. My suggestion would be something with a dark background, or at least dark edges because that is consistent with the other artwork in your room.

Whatever you decide, I am sure it will turn out fabulous.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Focus...................what do you want to be the focus of the room?

• jillybean103
    4 years ago

When I see a wall mural I think it’s a relatively low end way to cover a wall unless it’s hand painted.

Corinne Masterson thanked jillybean103
  • mamadada
    4 years ago

Place the mirror somewhere where it looks too big for the space. It will be perfect.

Corinne Masterson thanked mamadada
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

I love hand painted. I love De Gournay!

I live in the real world of Houzz questions. ....

Beats wood implements tacked on the walls?

Very few of these posters are going to SPLURGE In that matter and If they were? Their designer would have shown them the hand painted options in paper or a muralist on their home site.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

Corinne Masterson thanked katinparadise
  • roccouple
    4 years ago

I love the horizontal mirror suggestion. Something with a beefy frame. I like your art and think it should be the star

Corinne Masterson thanked roccouple
  • jillybean103
    4 years ago

I can't tell the orientation of the room, but based on your photo, is the mirror wall the one you see when entering the room? There appears to be a wall opposite the gallery wall, thus wondering why you don't have the gallery on the wall where you're considering the mirror?

Corinne Masterson thanked jillybean103
  • tartanmeup
    4 years ago

Do you have one or two doorways in this room? Can you show us the other walls? I like the idea of having something interesting on all dining room walls and mirrors and chandeliers make a lovely pair.

Corinne Masterson thanked tartanmeup
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

My guess is two walls. The one with art, an open to foyer on the opposite side, and an opening to kitchen opposite the dilemma wall. In other words, a fairly typical suburban build.

The wall " bugging" the op , probably also goes with a rather restricted budget, the room is small and it lacks window or view. .....:.:)

There are a million ways to mural a room! A faux painter, paper, etc.

Just don't junk it up:)

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok I was going to start another thread but since I have everybody’s attention this is super important:

This bar cabinet is too visually heavy right? I bought it thinking it would be super teeny & cute. I planned on painting it tomorrow. Now that I see it in the space, however, I can’t fight the nagging fear that I bulked up my space too much..

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

Yes, too heavy for your dining space. You don't have room for a piece like that. It looks nice though; don't think I would have been tempted to paint it. Is there space in another room for it? How large is your dining room, btw? You mentioned wanting a bar cart. Do you need one?

Corinne Masterson thanked tartanmeup
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Return that today. : ) While you are at it? Draw this darn room. Add the inches for every wall . Show the openings, the sizes in inches of those openings and note the size of the table. Length and width.

• jillybean103
    4 years ago

@Corinne Masterson, you won’t have my attention any longer if you don’t answer the questions that were asked of you.

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

^ Frosty really lives up to her username.

Yes Tartan I’ll have to paint it and repurpose it : (

^ Jan- I did do all of the measurements! If I’m honest I didn’t draw things out. I guess I didn’t expect the drawing to convey the “feel” for the size. I think if the piece was visually lighter it would have fit. But yes you are right, I should have just drawn it. Lesson learned.

• jillybean103
    4 years ago

Haha, so not only do you ignore questions but you diss people who tried to help. You have received the kindness from strangers who asked you simple questions that you ignore. Some took time to even search for ideas for you. No thank yous. No answers. Instead you shift the direction to another topic. Take, take, take. Enjoy your wallpaper mural.

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

^ Frosty, I’m getting some strong Livia Soprano vibes from you. You take things far too personally and lash out way too much.

This is the internet, not your kitchen table. Get yourself together.

• petula67
    4 years ago

Hi Corinne - Based on previous threads that featured other groupings of of art you've collected, it looks like that's "your thing." I'm not a pro, but it seems like sticking with that theme might be a good option. How about if you explode the current art grouping and move one or two pieces to the blank wall, then gradually add more pieces to both walls and maybe intersperse a few mirrors among them for an eclectic feel?

Corinne Masterson thanked petula67
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Lol.............. my whole morning has been as this. Your answers and advice, are and will be as good as your listening skills, as good as the information you share. This is TRUTH whether the advice is free on the click of a mouse, or a tap on the phone, or you 're up close LIVE and personal. When you are paying, it is identical process. .....for all the forms of communication we enjoy today. Need an emoji for my morning. : (

That will have to do.

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It means that her borderline is showing and this isn’t an effective venue for it. @tartanmeup

The kitchen table is a classic stage for toxic “all you do is take take take” monologues. The internet is a poor substitute because I don’t owe this woman anything. She’ll find a more captive audience in her unfortunate family members.

hu: that will likely have to be my approach : )

• jillybean103
    4 years ago

@Corinne Masterson

I doubt you will get this but I will try. Your post relates to a lack of understanding of spacial relations, scale, proportion, balance, and perspective....among other things that good people are trying to help you with.

Your continued question - now that you “have everyone’s attention” - demonstrates the same issues. You ignored important questions relevant to it. Your attack-dog diagnosis of me asking you for responses to the relevant questions is bizarre.

@tartanmeup Well said.

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

It means that her borderline is showing and this isn’t an effective venue for it. @tartanmeup

The kitchen table is a classic stage for toxic “all you do is take take take” monologues. The internet is a poor substitute because I don’t owe this woman anything. She’ll find a more captive audience in her unfortunate family members.

"her borderline is showing"? Wow. Talk about poor taste. No one owes anyone anything on the Internet but I find forums pleasant places to frequent when kindness and gratitude are expressed freely.

• ilikefriday
    4 years ago

@Corinne Masterson - Your comments are very off-putting and unrefined.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

As a dear and funny friend always says:

"UN BE LUBB ABLE"

Happy Labor Day, and welcome once again to the internet. lol.

The thread will be gone in three days. jmho.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

Although your new cabinet doesn't work in your dining area, you could try it at the end of a hall or entryway, with your shaped mirror above it. But please don't ruin the beautiful wood by painting it.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Read the entire thread again.

You said:

Room is too small to be a dining space.

True. At least it is with that table

Your health and happiness depend on using the table

Okay, but what of the health and happiness of those who dine? It is claustrophobic. How does one even back up a chair? Hubby holding the mirror, barely can stand behind the chair, you can barely up on the long sides of the table .

You asked if the" mirror is too small".

The mirror is too small for almost any spot with the exception of a dressing table.

Fact is, the only place you have room for ANYTHING is on the walls. You are determined to have art, which a mural can be. You have no window, nothing interesting on the wall. It is literally coming AT you, or a diner. You want a mirror? Fill the space. Don't worry that people can see themselves dining. It beats being stuffed into a space too small to breathe in, let alone eat. Visually enlarge the room. Go big or stay home as the saying goes

CLUSTER! Five of these..........Yes, five!!!. Fill some serious space. You will end with a "mirror" that is 65.5 x 65. and the room will double visually. The chandelier will sparkle.

https://www.antiquefarmhouse.com/gold-framed-window-pane-mirror.html

Or ................Won.t have quite the same effect, but at least it has some bang.

OTHERWISE?

Hang the "man" where you are attempting the mirror, Leave the other three on their wall, with the landscape centered, and flanked by the ladies.

Done. Nobody can help, because you want what you want, whatever that shall be. There you go.

• petula67
    4 years ago

Those pretty, narrow windowpane mirrors look like they were meant for the room. Wish we could see them mocked up across the wall. Glad that Jan Moyer stuck with the thread!

Corinne: You have some artistic skills, no? I'm remembering that pretty little entry table that you painted. If shelling out $$$s for five of those mirrors is a hurdle, maybe you could create your own versions. You can order sheets of mirrored plexiglass from Home Depot, and if you have it cut to the right shapes, you could affix them to the wall and trim out the panes yourself. A little window moulding, a bit of antiqued metallic paint from Hobby Lobby, and voila!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Some things are just not worth the DIY attempt. I have used these ....tightly hung, A HUGE bang for the money. Do something..once, : ) If 600 bucks is the cure to small, lack luster, no view, cramped. ? Pretty cheap over even a couple years. Not everything has a hundred dollar solution.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

Corinne, I like the idea of a larger mirror to make the space feel a bit larger. I think it could work well in your dining room.