SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pmshah09

backsplash tiles

Paru
4 years ago

I have white cabinets on periphery and dark grey on island and have white macaubas quartzite countertops. I need help in deciding backsplash tiles. Any suggestion will be a great help. I am attaching some pics. I was leaning towards lighter grey with darker grout and to do cement tiles with designs behind the cook top So far I have received great and helpful advice from houzz community and counting on the same for this one also

Comments (56)

• Toni Hamlett
    4 years ago

Not a fan of using white subway as not all whites are equal and thus can be very hard to find the right one. I do like your last two picks leaning towards the lighter one. Just confirm it is picking up one of the colors in the counter. Good luck

Paru thanked Toni Hamlett
  • PRO
    Susan Tiritilli
    4 years ago

I like your lighter gray choice.

Paru thanked Susan Tiritilli
  • Related Discussions

Removing old tile counters without damaging backsplash tiles

Q

Comments (11)
    Protect your wall tiles with cardboard and take a hammer to the row of counter top tiles that are against the wall. Break them up good. Wearing gloves and using putty knives and screwdrives pull out all the little pieces of tile from that row closest to the wall. Wiggle them out from under the backsplash tile, they should come out fairly easily. This clears a distance the thickness of the tile for the counter to pivot up upon removal before it contacts and loads your backsplash tiles. If that proves to not be enough set the depth right on a circular saw or rotozip and zip through the cement board and pry that off too. It will take more finesse then normally is used when demoing kitchens but with a little caution, it should be very doable.
    ...See More

Need help reviewing GC work - glass backsplash tile in kitchen

Q

Comments (16)
    What type of special equipment should be used for glass tile installation? I’m asking so that I can ask my installer if he has what it takes. He says he has experience with installing glass tile but doesn’t seem super confident. I figure if he doesn’t have a few of the important basic tools, I need to ask more questions or switch to a plain subway tile to avoid disappointment. The glass would be stunning but I’m ready to switch to ceramic if needed.
    ...See More

wall tile/backsplash tile installation cost Los Angeles

Q

Comments (1)
    Combination of that and the fact that it is 4 years later and you in the land of "No"....................
    ...See More

Kitchen backsplash tile for griege cabinets and Calcutta Arno quartz?

Q

Comments (5)
    Hope this project ended well for you! I also have Calcutta Arno counters, white cabinets, and am in the same dilemma with the white backspash tiles. I like 3x12 subway and picket tiles but the ones I pick are too stark with the warm white counters. Would love to know what you decided on and how you like it.
    ...See More
  • herbflavor
    4 years ago

If that is a bluish tile in the middle it looks good. Better than gray. What is it?

Paru thanked herbflavor
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

No to the accent behind the stove and I would do a larger format light gray tile with matching grout and best if it a gray that is in the counter

Paru thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Paru
    Original Author
    4 years ago

herbflavor which picture are you referring to ? They all have names given by manufacturer and says some kind of grey in their names.

• suzyq53
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I would look for a pale silver/gray tile. Just barely not white. It looks like all the ones you posted so far are too dark.

Something like this.

White kitchen with grey accents · More Info

• pat1250
    4 years ago

Pnp

• Paru
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have one more question . Is 4 x 12 too big ? Should I go smaller size ?

• Snaggy
    4 years ago

Light Gray

• suzyq53
    4 years ago

I think 12 is going to be too long since you don't have long areas of backsplash that I can see.

• Natasha McCaskey
    4 years ago

go with a size that is similar to the length of the pulls on the drawers. that's my trick and it works every time!

Paru thanked Natasha McCaskey
  • My House
    4 years ago

If open concept design, are there / will there be other dark gray elements in the room other than the gray island?

This model home has dark brown tile backsplash with white cabinets and light counter. It coordinates with the brown wood furniture & floor. (Browns, cream & green)

https://tours.stevenjamescollins.com/public/vtour/display/209717

Paru thanked My House
  • Paru
    Original Author
    4 years ago

As of now island is the only dark gray but tile I am leaning towards is light gray closer to gray in counter top. Table legs in breakfast area are dark gray (very close to island) and chair legs are soft black

• Paru
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Idk why it uploads sideways but hope this gives some idea about size.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

any of your choices are fine. Personally I like the thinner, handmade look choices.

they will basically look like these (which are set in a 1/3 offset pattern)

larger, maybe 3x12,,,regular 50/50 layout

I think these are 2x16's.

and in a herringbone layout. these are 3x12

Paru thanked Beth H. :
  • PRO
    Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
    4 years ago

These look too dark to me. I would choose white tile with light, soft gray veining. Perhaps something like honed Arabescato Carrara marble tile. You need something that won't clash or compete with the countertop.

Paru thanked Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
  • ulisdone
    4 years ago

It is very dark under your cabinets. Can you install some lights under there? That would change the backsplash appearance also.

Paru thanked ulisdone
  • eveuchan
    4 years ago

I wouldn’t go with the light grey tile. The color looks too cool. Especially with your floors.

Paru thanked eveuchan
  • Natasha McCaskey
    4 years ago

have you thought about glass tile? glass tile is seen a lot more in the transitional style houses now which is the style I think you might be going for.
    Glass will also shine nicely if you install under-cabinet lighting. Super easy to clean too!

• Natasha McCaskey
    4 years ago

if you want something different, you can go with a trapazoidal tile like this one at my work place. (there are shadows on the photo, it doesn't vary in color like that)

• Paru
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have couple of more questions

What is good grout spacing for 4 x 12 and is it good to match grout and tile color or contrast ?

• Paru
    Original Author
    4 years ago

And is 4 x 12 too big for herringbone ( 18" space ) ?

• Natasha McCaskey
    4 years ago

herringbone is a more complex layout, thus requiring more cuts and more time and money. I always hire a good tiler because I like the work to be done professionally, and especially if you are doing herringbone, get a good tiler. have a meeting with them and explain what you want to do. the best ones are the perfectionists, because you know you can trust their work to be done right. However, it does create visual interest instead of the standard linear look and is becoming more popular in newly constructed or renovatwd homes.

on your grout choice, i can only recommend a dark or white/light grout. I think white/light grout would bring it all together seamlessly, since your cabinets are white, but, dark grout is a popular choice that many buyers are looking for.

I don't know if you are flipping this home, or just renovating for yourself, but you must consider what buyers are looking for if you are flipping.

• Toni Hamlett
    4 years ago

I agree with Natasha a good tiler is worth the money. I’ve done a bathroom and kitchen. The guy used was recommended. He is an older guy and a little slow but he was a perfectionist. Very little waste. For my second job he saved me money as I did not need to buy so much extra tile. Comes with recommended layouts and shows me them so I understand. Told him my suggestions and he gave honest feedback on pros and cons (I welcome honest feedback).

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

Paru,, what is the space distance? 18" ? 4x12 is large for a shorter backsplash area and the design element could get 'lost'. for a backsplash that's average height, I'd find a 2x8, 3x9, 2x6, 2x10 size.

to give you a visual, I did a herringbone in a 4x12 size in my large shower.

I believe these tiles had built in spacing (but it is minimal). I use Warm Grey color by Mapei

now here is a 2x8 size tile (both pics)

light gray grout in this top one

this bottom one is glass and they used the 2x8 in both patterns

another 2x8. for a standard backsplash area under cabs, this would be the preferred size.

Paru thanked Beth H. :
  • Paru
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you everyone for your advice. I really appreciate it. I am renovating our kitchen and probably live in it for at least 5 -7 more years so trying to stay in more neutral and timeless styles. Beth , there are 18 '' of space except for behind the cook top where it goes up to the ceiling . I am split between warm grey (which seems to match the tile ) or go darker or lighter. Tile guy recommends 1/16 " of spacing. Wondering if that is too small

Beth what color is the tile in shower photo. It looks beautiful

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

paru,,,1/16 is prob what my shower tiles are. I did a bright white ceramic 4x12 on the walls, and a 3" hex black marble on the shower floor. niche is a black and white marble in chevron pattern.

since you have only 18" on the main portion, go for a 2x8, 3x9, or even a 3x12 size if you want the herringbone. it just looks better.

This is from Encore Ceramics and they have a ton of diff glaze colors. (Shadow Quartz is one that would go w/your stone)

this is Neptune quartz, but I wanted to show you their herringbone. these are a 2x8. I think this size would be perfect for your backsplash.

as for color, I like your gray choices.

for a standard layout, this is Shadebox in gray.

Heath Ceramics (crystal blue, but they have other colors)

and I really like the dusky gray glass tile from DalTile Waves. it's Moonlight. would look beautiful w/your stone.

• catlady999
    4 years ago

I know you asked about tile, but the wood trim around the window looks so beat up. It would be fairly easy to replace that in a kitchen that you have put so much time and money into updating.

• Paru
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you .Yeah painting is next

• catlady999
    4 years ago

Given the age of the kitchen, you should replace the trim before your tile. The replacement trim might not be exactly the same dimension as the original. Since the tile will be up against the trim, do the wooden trim first.

Paru thanked catlady999
  • Paru
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Trying to decide on grout. colors are warm grey, cobblestone and silver by mapei. I wonder if they look different when dry. Also as spacing is only 1/16 does it really matter ? Thank you all in advance

• catlady999
    4 years ago

I vote for the middle one. The dark one will complete too much with the veining in the countertop.

Paru thanked catlady999
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

light one. that's warm gray, right? same one I used.

Paru thanked Beth H. :
  • katy3816
    4 years ago

Why not instead go for a nice encaustic cement tile with light grey tones? I think it would compliment both the whites and greys in your kitchen. Light tones would be best.

As you see in pic below, the cabinets are white and some of the countertops have grey veining, so in my opinion this would be the perfect option. So many patterns and colors to pick from...

Paru thanked katy3816
  • st5330
    4 years ago

white subway is boring when the rest of the kitchen is white in my opinion. Do a light gray to match the graining, or something more interesting like the person above posted

• cpartist
    4 years ago

None of these colors ...white is best ..

No white is not best. White is for people afraid to do something different.

White would be a bore in this kitchen. I think the OP made the right choice!

As for the grout color? I agree with Beth.

• Paru
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes beth the lightest is warm grey. However tile i have is light grey so warm grey matches the color of tiles while middle one is just slightly darker than the tile color. Does warm grey look different when it dries or looks same as in sample stick ?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

looks like this. enlarge the pic

the middle one could work. I just see a bit more blueish tone in that one.

• Paru
    Original Author
    4 years ago

katy It was my initial plan to do cement tiles behind cooktop but as I have very light grey counters with light and dark veins i thought using pattern might make it look too busy . Cement tiles tend to stain so I thought behind stove it may get dirty. Picture of kitchen you have posted looks very pretty though. Planning on using cement tiles on bathroom floors in future remodel projects

• katy3816
    4 years ago

I know what you mean, but I don't think it would look too busy. I think it would balance things out nicely.

All of the materials in your kitchen are solid colors, with only the counters having a bit of veining, so you need to add some type of pattern and interest somewhere. The subway tiles just look a bit too plain. You need a main feature in your kitchen, that stands out, to break things up.

If not the cement tiles I suggested then perhaps something like this from tilebar? A bit pricey, but doable if you're using in a small space. But I'm sure there are other options similar if this isn't in your budget.

I would probably create a seperate backsplash area behind the stove, that's easy to keep clean, but pick a material that works well with the rest of the tile, so it all flows.

https://tilebar.com/collection/pearl-shell-tiles.html

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Katy, the OP has already tiled her backsplash.

• PRO
    Carol Jean
    4 years ago

to to dark go light

Paru thanked Carol Jean
  • Gcubed
    4 years ago

posting to see final pics

Paru thanked Gcubed
  • Paru
    Original Author
    4 years ago

WIP

Trying very small area for pattern for focal point without making it busy. Any thoughts?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

way too small. should be at least the width of your hood, or just smaller than your stove.

either you want an accent or you don't. there's no in between!

the other thing is, you want symmetry. so however many tiles you have beneath the square, that's what you need above it. as it is now, it's too high. should come down at least one, if not two tiles

Paru thanked Beth H. :
  • kelleg69
    4 years ago

I generally do like an accent, but I don't care for the one you are showing. And, b/c you have square tile floors, I wouldn't do an accent. Too much going on. I would just continue the gray subway. I like the gray tile you ended up choosing.

Paru thanked kelleg69
  • Paru
    Original Author
    4 years ago

kelleg69 floor tiles are being replaced but I know what you mean about accent. I feel it is too small but hubby thinks it looks good but I am thinking of removing it before it is too late .

• suzyq53
    4 years ago

Yep. Just do the subway tiles. No accent.

Paru thanked suzyq53
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

paru,,,here's another accent w/cement or cement-look tiles (these are porcelain) but see how they are symmetrical all the way around the subways?

Paru thanked Beth H. :