Surprise! Log Cabin Republicans back Trump

dublinbay z6 (KS)

I don't understand it. All these groups and individuals who publicly announce that they can't support Trump. Then they have a meeting with him and return 100% "converted" to Trump.

-----------------------------------

"During the 2016 election, Log Cabin Republicans, the conservative LGBT organization, declined to endorse Donald Trump for president, even after Trump's vow, at the Republican convention, to “do everything in my power to protect our LGBTQ citizens from violence and oppression.”

Since taking office, Trump and his administration have effectively rolled back rights for the LGBT community, reinstating a ban on transgender troops from serving in the U.S. military; reversing departmental protections against discrimination against transgender people; banning the flying of pride flags at U.S. embassies; and siding with a Colorado baker who refused to bake a wedding cake for a same-sex couple.

This month, the Department of Labor promulgated a draft rule that would allow government contractors to discriminate against LGBT employees on religious grounds.

That's why it was a surprise on Friday when the group — which normally waits until after the conventions to endorse a candidate — announced its endorsement of Trump's reelection bid.

In an op-ed for the Washington Post, Log Cabin Republicans chairman Robert Kabel and vice chair Jill Homan credited Trump with "removing gay rights as a wedge issue from the old Republican playbook" and "taking bold actions that benefit the LGBTQ community."

"He has committed to end the spread of HIV/AIDS in 10 years, through the use of proven science, medicine and technology to which we now have access," they wrote. "Trump has used the United States’ outsize global influence to persuade other nations to adopt modern human rights standards, including launching an initiative to end the criminalization of homosexuality."

"While we do not agree with every policy or platform position presented by the White House or the Republican Party," they added, "we share a commitment to individual responsibility, personal freedom and a strong national defense."

Trump has courted the support of evangelical leaders such as Franklin Graham, John Hagee and Jerry Falwell Jr., who stridently denounce homosexuality as a sin. He appointed Falwell to a task force on education policy.

Log Cabin Republicans endorsed John McCain in 2008 and Mitt Romney in 2012."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/2020-vision-trump-gets-surprise-log-cabin-republicans-endorsement-182340690.html

------------------------------------

I just don't get it.

Kate

SaveComment25Like
Comments (25)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chijim

Being a bit hyperbolic...akin to Jews for Hitler. SMH

Trump loves teh LGBTQ community...

Trump DOJ Urges Supreme Court to Legalize Firing Workers for Being Transgender

Published on

Saturday, August 17, 2019

by

Common Dreams

'Outrageous': Trump DOJ Urges Supreme Court to Legalize Firing Workers for Being Transgender

"The
equality principle is so simple and obvious; it's a disgrace the
government is affirmatively arguing for a narrow, pro-discrimination
interpretation."

by

Jake Johnson, staff writer

3 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

It is when they continue to support him when he does absolutely none of the things he promises that confounds me. Once someone decides to accept Trump as their savior they are lost to sense. Is it that hard to admit you were wrong?

6 Likes Save    
studio10001

He has made a commitment to fund AIDS research, and they take the offer seriously. Picking their battles, I think.

Save    
queenmargo

I don't understand it. All these groups and individuals who publicly announce that they can't support Trump. Then they have a meeting with him and return 100% "converted" to Trump.

He is mesmerizing;)

2 Likes Save    
maifleur01

This country has seen what his commitments to do things has meant so far so while the group has a right to back whom they want they had better not expect any commitment to be fulfilled.

5 Likes Save    
Prim Rose

"Trump has used the United States’ outsize global influence to persuade other nations to adopt modern human rights standards, including launching an initiative to end the criminalization of homosexuality."

Whaaat!?! Pleez, let's see evidence of this ^^^^^^^.

5 Likes Save    
elvis

From the OP:

Then they have a meeting with him and return 100% "converted" to Trump.

Well, maybe it's as simple as that. They've met him.

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

As deep throat said, follow the money....

3 Likes Save    
bleusblue2

Holy holy holy

Lord God almighty

bless us and keep us

Yea though I walk in the valley of the Shadow of Death ..........

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Hmmm...that pic of trump...it is truly part and parcel of the authoritarian takeover process.

1) Create a crisis

2) Convince people *he* is the only who could fix it

3) Usurp power in order to "fix" the crisis

Timothy Snyder: Whether he [trump] realizes it or not is a different question, but that’s what fascists did. They said, “Don’t worry about the facts; don’t worry about logic. Think instead in terms of mystical unities and direct connections between the mystical leader and the people.” That’s fascism. Whether we see it or not, whether we like it or not, whether we forget, that is fascism. Source: https://www.salon.com/2017/05/01/historian-timothy-snyder-its-pretty-much-inevitable-that-trump-will-try-to-stage-a-coup-and-overthrow-democracy/

6 Likes Save    
elvis

Oh, well. If Salon says so...

1 Like Save    
HU9999

Well I guess we should thank them for proving that their stated cause is not really what they care about. Always good to know what groups really stand for. Sometimes it's not what they state.

As Annie said, follow the money.

1 Like Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Believing the biggest flim-flam guy?

Reminds me of this:

2 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

If you are a Log Cabin Republican you are already more than halfway there in my opinion. To be LGBTQ and support the Republican party is an exercise in shooting yourself in the gut.

4 Likes Save    
elvis

Sounds like you have a mission, should you decide to accept it...

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

I swear--some posters start typing answers before bothering to actually read the OP.

Here are several salient points that make it surprising the log cabin repubs would endorse Trump--but no one is actually addressing these issues.

---------------------------

"During the 2016 election, Log Cabin Republicans, the conservative LGBT organization, declined to endorse Donald Trump for president, even after Trump's vow, at the Republican convention, to “do everything in my power to protect our LGBTQ citizens from violence and oppression.”

Since taking office, Trump and his administration have effectively rolled back rights for the LGBT community . . . .

This month, the Department of Labor promulgated a draft rule that would allow government contractors to discriminate against LGBT employees on religious grounds."

----------------------

Why the eagerness to get in on the first round when there are so many strikes against Trump that should be considered? Instead of waiting at least for the gen. election, why rush to cheerlead for a candidate with a mixed record, at best?

Kate

2 Likes Save    
Prim Rose

Kate, are you referring to trump's base? "getting in on the first round"?

Those people who declare their allegiance to trump for the rest of their life? As has been said here.

I don't think there are any Dem candidates who hope for trump's base to "wait for the gen election".

He's them, they are him and so their support is unshakable.

2 Likes Save    
enegiram

LOL!

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

elvis the quote was published in salon, but the speaker is Prof Timothy Snyder of history at Yale: http://timothysnyder.org/bio

Timothy David Snyder is an American author and historian specializing in the history of Central and Eastern Europe, and the Holocaust. He is the Richard C. Levin Professor of History at Yale University and a Permanent Fellow at the Institute for Human Sciences in Vienna. Wikipedia

Rather than denigrating the source, one could actually consider what an expert on 20th century Europe and authoritarianism has to say on the subject and be enlightened by it.

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Prim Rose--I was referring to the Repub. Log Cabiners (conservative gay rights) who held back on endorsing Trump back in 2016 due to a number of questionable things Trump had said about gay rights and issues, but who are now rushing to get their group's endorsement in early even though Trump now has a worse record on gay rights and issues.

I assuming that Trump's cult-like "base" is probably largely white heterosexual men and not conservative gay rights groups. My comments refer only to the latter group.

Kate

2 Likes Save    
elvis

Rather than denigrating the source, one could actually consider what an expert on 20th century Europe and authoritarianism has to say on the subject and be enlightened by it.

Fair enough, Annie.

Timothy Snyder: Whether he [trump] realizes it or not is a different question, but that’s what fascists did. They said, “Don’t worry about the facts; don’t worry about logic. Think instead in terms of mystical unities and direct connections between the mystical leader and the people.” That’s fascism. Whether we see it or not, whether we like it or not, whether we forget, that is fascism.

However, this is Snyder's opinion. Just his opinion.

Save    
Prim Rose

Thanks, Kate. I should have seen that.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

It is his view, but it is the view of a very smart guy who has spent a lifetime studying the rise and fall of dictatorships in the 20th century, so his view is based on decades of fact gathering and analysis. So it carries weight.

1 Like Save    
elvis

If it validates your opinion, by all means, enjoy the weight.

Save    
dandyfopp

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
My Houzz My Houzz: A Surprisingly Light Lakeside Log Cabin
Light gray paint and lots of natural light take this cabin on a Michigan lake out of moody country
Full Story
Rustic Style Get Your Rustic On for Log Cabin Day!
Celebrate rugged good looks and simpler times with a gallery of 10 gorgeous log cabins across the U.S.
Full Story
Modern Architecture Houzz Tour: Deconstruction Reshapes Log Cabin Style
A river runs through it, but this modern Wyoming home is just as notable for its inventive architectural take on the log cabin archetype
Full Story