Have others been getting lots of calls from pollsters?

Ann

I had one tonight where several of the questions were asking about my views on marijuana legislation. That surprised me as I haven't heard either party talking much or at all about that topic. I think I'm getting lots of poll calls because I'm registered as unaffiliated. Are others now also getting polled frequently?

SaveComment26Like
Comments (26)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur01

So far no but I no longer have the phone number they used to call. I think I have had two several months ago rather than the multiple that I normally have.

1 Like Save    
Ann

One of the other questions was who I'd support for CO Senate, Gardiner or Hickenlooper. Wow, that was fast as Hickenlooper just dropped out of the presidential race!

Save    
maifleur01

Well one of the news articles I saw a couple of days ago mentioned that he might run for the Senate or perhaps Governor so perhaps it was to see which position people thought he would gain the most votes. Probably another poll asking about the Governorship was also being done at the same time.

Save    
margaux

Hickenlooper is the real reason they called. I just read Hickenlooper is polling 50 points above the closest Dem candidate for Senator.

Save    
Andie

Good for Hickenlooper. Wish Beto would open his eyes and do the right thing.

3 Likes Save    
Ann

Maifleur, he's already served two terms in CO as governor, so that option isn't available to him.

Save    
Ann

They also asked about many of the Dem candidates, comparing one to another, and then comparing each to Trump.

Save    
maifleur01

I know nothing about him and apparently the person who wrote the news article did not. However in some states if you leave an office for one or two terms you are eligible to run again.

Save    
steve2416

I'll never be polled because I don't answer the phone if the caller isn't on my contact list. I'm just not that curious.

8 Likes Save    
Andie

Ann, why did you "like" Steve's comment? You're obviously answering the phone.

Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

I'm no longer NPP (unaffiliated), and I received calls from three different polling sources the day after the debates. I also got called multiple times within the 4-5 days prior.

1 Like Save    
Ann

"Ann, why did you "like" Steve's comment? You're obviously answering the phone. "

What a funny question! What does my answering the phone to respond to a poll have to do with Steve not choosing to answer if the caller isn't on his contact list? I both appreciated and liked his answer. Again, that's a really funny question:)

Save    
HU-219136540

I keep seeing RNC come up on Caller ID

obviously I don’t answer

Save    
Prim Rose

Nuance, is a witch, ann.

Hickenlooper should run for Senate. He's smart, capable, and very electable in Colorado.

Save    
chase_gw

I often get calls, some generic some clearly sponsored by a party. I love answering the questions, even the non political polls....my husband thinks I'm nuts. !!!!

When in Florida, I get them a lot but I never answer them unless they are non political.

Save    
Carro

Well, thanks chase for not skewing our political polling while you're in America. I mean, least you can do, right?

Save    
chase_gw

Well Good Morning Carro, I see you are your usual bright and chipper self...have a nice day.

7 Likes Save    
tryingtounderstand

These pollster and robo calls, mean nothing in the grand scheme of things and are a PIA. Hence if foreigners get these calls, while basking in southern sunshine, there is nothing to worry about.

We get em up north too. Some ask will you support xxx, party, person or whatever. Folk can say one thing and then can easily change their minds by the time Election Day comes around.

Seems like North Americans have more too worry about than Robo calls.

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Last couple elections I received a number of polling calls and most of them were party or candidate sponsored. I'm not really interested in those kinds of calls and started slamming down my phone in irritation. For this election I've had only 4 or 5 such calls.

I'd like to participate in a real poll from a neutral source--one that isn't trying to manipulate my responses and turn me against or for a certain party/candidate. Not sure I've done that more than a couple times ever.

By the way, even if Chase answered the USA polls, that wouldn't really skewer the results. If the poll is legitimate, it has to keep polling until it gets representative numbers of the various categories. Thus, if 31% of the voting public is "Democratic," the poll would need to get responses that were also 31% Democratic--so if Chase bows out, the pollsters will have to find another Democratic responder in order to make the polling population representative of the larger voting population.

Not that I'm urging Chase to take part in USA polls--nor would she.

Kate

Save    
queenmargo

"Ann, why did you "like" Steve's comment? You're obviously answering the phone. "

What a funny question! What does my answering the phone to respond to a poll have to do with Steve not choosing to answer if the caller isn't on his contact list? I both appreciated and liked his answer. Again, that's a really funny question:)

Some can not accept that if you don't think like them, you can not tolerate what someone else says. I get it Ann.

Save    
Ann

Margie, that was exactly what I was thinking when I read that question. I had to smile, thinking it really is okay if one person answers a call and another doesn't. It's not a requirement that we both eat the same cereal for breakfast either:) And God forbid, we don't even have to place the same vote. Imagine that.

2 Likes Save    
sushipup1

Maybe 25 years ago I got a phone poll (back when I still answered the phone) regarding a local land development issue. It's called a push-poll, designed more to influence voters rather than gather opinions. I played along with this one, since I owned property abutting the property to be developed. The caller asked such questions as "Do you know that the developer has offered to install a _____ (playground, access, etc etc)?" I'd answer, "I heard that but I don't believe it." Must have been a lot of others who shared my opinion; when it went to a vote, the developer lost.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push_poll

Save    
artemis_ma

I'm listed as unaffiliated, and I have not gotten phone calls since I've moved. Of course, some are probably headed off to call my old CT land line, which no longer exists.... but I'll never know. Keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get tracked to my relatively-new abode!

Save    
artemis_ma

(Do want to say I've no problem being polled by people asking real questions, rather than "leading" questions geared to one point or another, rather than real discussion. Unfortunately back when I was being polled, 90% of them were "leading" garbage queries.)

1 Like Save    
Prim Rose

Those pollsters need to ask the questions that discern if the person called is a legit independent. Having no highly partisan views.

Otherwise, their polling will be worthless.

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Prim--real pollsters who are gathering information but have no political agenda that they are trying to push do ask enough questions to ascertain that people are what they claim to be. All pollsters know they should--it's just that "push" polls are NOT trying to gather non-partisan information. They are trying to (subtly?) (sneakily?) manipulate your perceptions so that you will be more inclined to support the candidate who is paying for the poll and using it as part of their campaign. That kind of pollster doesn't really care if you are really who you say you are--they just want to "convert" you to their candidate's positions so that you will vote for his/her candidate.

Kate

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular Get Ideas From This Year’s Top 20 Kitchen Tours
Smart storage, functionality for cooks and families, vintage touches and lots of personality mark your favorites of 2015
Full Story
Modern Architecture Passageways Celebrate Getting from Here to There
Design can transform stairs, bridges and other transitional spaces into sensory journeys
Full Story
Salvage Get Creative Salvage Ideas from Houzzers' Reuse Projects
Save money and show off your resourcefulness by borrowing from these creative home projects using salvaged materials
Full Story