Trudeau and the SNC-Lavalin Case

Delilah66

I understand politicians who work diligently and legally to maintain their country's economy. Did PM Trudeau truly believe that if SNC-Lavalin were blocked from federal contracts, other Canadian businesses would be unable to perform at an equivalent level to maintain jobs for Canadians? Surely there is another firm(s) that would snap up those employees leaving SNC-Lavalin?

Another question: How difficult would it be for Canada to operate under a minority government? Is it similar to having opposing majorities in the US Executive and Legislative branches? Some in the US say, "Nothing will get done." I always say, little gets done anyway. We operate in opposition within each party frequently.

https://www.vox.com/2019/8/15/20806133/justin-trudeau-snc-lavalin-ethics-report-canada-elections

SaveComment18Like
Comments (18)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chase_gw

In my view the SNC Lavalin scandal was based on political expediency. SNC is a very, very important company in Quebec. In the normal course of business I suppose a company would come along and replace SNC but it wouldn't likely be a Canadian company and it for sure would not be headquartered in Quebec. Politically disastrous for the Liberals.

Trudeau was " protecting " Quebec jobs but he did it in a way that was totally unethical. This flies in the face of what we expect from our leaders and he is paying the price. He never should have put pressure on our AG not to prosecute SNC. That was totally inappropriate.

As far as a minority government, I would say the opposite. Minority governments can be much more effective in my view...can be.

The way our system works, the party with the most seats forms the Government. Given we have more than two parties it is possible to have the most seats but less than the other two parties added together. When that happens it' s called a minority and IF the other two parties got together they could bring down the government and cause a new election.

In that scenario the party in control MUST work with the other parties, at least one of them , to hold on to power. The result tends to be lots of compromise ....which I vIew as a good thing.

I should note that our Senate is basically a do nothing rubber stamp so they don't play in.

Think of it as just having a House , no Senate and and no President......everything has to get done in the House of Commons.

Hope this is helpful but others may see it differently.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Delilah66
tryingtounderstand

A majority gov, is very efficient in getting things done.

All political parties go into an election hoping to win a majority government . This is where party solidarity, which you learned about before, becomes even more important. If all members of a majority government are on side, the government could go through their whole term with very little opposition to their bills.

Whereas a minority govt must spend a lot of time in negotiations with the opposition. Hence, one could view the minority govt as more accountable.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Delilah66
Delilah66

Thank you both. I guess I don’t have an appreciation for such a singularly dominant company. Naïveté on my part. Believe me, I don’t support the way he operated. I know what it’s like for citizens to live under similar operational policies.

Save    
chase_gw

Other than natural resources and government , I would say there are only two large companies based in Quebec. SNC and Bomardier......don' t get us going on Bombardier !!!

Quebec has some very strict language laws that have pushed most large companies out of Quebec over the last many years. Not an inviting place to do business in unless you are a French company or in a business that is based on their rich natural resources.

1 Like Save    
HamiltonGardener

Delilah,

Keep in mind that the issue revolves around a Canadian company paying bribes in a foreign country in order to operate and do business. This isn’t about doing work with in Canada, where all companies would operate under the same rules. This is doing business outside of Canada, sometimes in countries where bribes are the norm. When Canadian companies are held accountable under Canadian law for paying these bribes, it places them at a disadvantage against other foreign companies who are not governed by the same laws. American companies pay bribes in foreign lands on a regular basis.

In short,, the Canadian government finds a way to help Canadian companies bypass this Canadian law in order to put them on a level playing field with foreign companies. That’s where the scandal stems from. Is it ethical? Perhaps not, but it does save Canadian jobs.

2 Likes Save    
chase_gw

I think Trudeau could have survived this much better than he has if he had just come clean at the git go instead of causing such a rift in the party.

As often is the case, the cover up is worse than the crime.

2 Likes Save    
HamiltonGardener

Chase, that’s true.

At the the same time, the backroom machinations should have happened to let Canadian companies compete globally, just as they have under all previous governments, without JWR deciding she was going to cause a big fuss.

But again, this is what happens when an inexperienced government replaces all the old timers with inexperienced ministers then refuses to accept advice.

2 Likes Save    
chase_gw

Where is Paul Martin when you need him!!!

Save    
HamiltonGardener

Jeez, we are beginning to sound like crotchety old people.

“You youngsters don’t know what you’re doing, and get off my lawn!”

Chase, are you familiar with Zoomer magazine?

1 Like Save    
chase_gw

Not that I will admit to.....

1 Like Save    
Delilah66

Hahahahaha!

1 Like Save    
HU-490545928

Long time lurker. Just had to sign on to correct something Hamilton said.

" When Canadian companies are held accountable under Canadian law for paying these bribes, it places them at a disadvantage against other foreign companies who are not governed by the same laws. American companies pay bribes in foreign lands on a regular basis. "

My husband worked for various competitors of SNC -Lavalin for his entire career.

It is against the law in the USA to pay bribes and they do enforce the law.

A bribe was paid in Nigeria by a rogue employee at the company where he was employed at the time. The company paid a 20 million dollar fine and was forced to report all their financial dealings to the Fed. for 20 years.

It is against the law in other countries too, however they don't enforce the law.

And yes, they constantly griped that they were at a disadvantage against other foreign companies who could pay bribes.

Save    
Ann

Interesting conversation. Posting so the thread will pop up in my feed and remind me to follow.

Save    
ubro(2a)

Whereas a minority govt must spend a lot of time in negotiations with the opposition. Hence, one could view the minority govt as more accountable.

I do now, where I might have not always done before. I am tired of the radicle bent in politics, on both sides, and I welcome a government that does not have the opportunity to act unilaterally but needs to compromise across the floor.

Where is Paul Martin when you need him!!!

I think he is coaching Chrystia Freeland LOL. Now that is a women I can respect. She is very measured and clear when she states the position of the government.

1 Like Save    
HamiltonGardener

Hi-49,

Many American companies do pay bribes in order to work in foreign countries. It’s against American law but just like in Canada, there are “ways” around it and the American government knows it, just as the Canadian government does. Very rarely is it pursued by the government, otherwise American companies would rarely get contracts in many parts of the Middle East, Africa, Asia, or even Eastern Europe.

I know this this because I have also worked for companies out of the US and the larger companies even have funds put aside for bribes and ransoms. It’s never called a bribe, but make no mistake, American companies pay bribes.

2 Likes Save    
HamiltonGardener

Ubro,

Chrystia Freeland was the one who made announcement of “Thanks but no thanks, we are doing it our way” to the offer of help from Chrétien.

Now, I realize she was probably just the messenger, but now she owns it.

1 Like Save    
chase_gw

I like her too...not a 100% in all things but I do like her frankness and her clarity of thought. I was hoping beyond hope there would be a leadership convention before the election but that door closed a long time ago.

Somehow I get the feeling that there is more hope for a Liberals victory than I thought previously......maybe thanks to Mr Ford ! ; )

Save    
ubro(2a)

Now, I realize she was probably just the messenger, but now she owns it.

Sure, but that IMO does not decrease my respect for her. Sometimes we have no idea what goes on behind closed doors and we base our opinion on what we see.

I gained my respect for her during the NAFTA talks, she never spoke disparagingly of anyone even though Trump did insult her, she did not take the bait.

2 Likes Save