SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristine_legault

What is on your 2020 wish list ?

I already have my shopping list started.
It could sure be enlarged but due to space constraints I can't get too crazy or I will be running around all willy nilly with the shovel.
So far, and Regans has them all, here is my list.
What is your wish list
All My Loving
Violets pride standard
Love Song
Distant Drums
Quicksilver
Grace. Maybe

Comments (86)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

Don't give up on your cuttings.... just overwinter them in your garage. I'm so bad. I forgot I also want Pashmina to plant with Wedding Cake. Lilyfinch, I just planted mine so they are small, but already reaching into the limbs of Cornus Mas. These are young trees so they will grow up together. If needed, you could limb them up to give more light. Have we seen your backyard? I remember seeing the pool and line-up of KOs, but not so much the fruit trees.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • kali_deere
    4 years ago

sounds so exciting! I have a big ole' list going - not sure if I will end up buying them for next year though - maybe only a couple because we are working so hard to pay off our debts and we are so close!

My "master list" is this though (i'll likely whittle it down quite a bit):

Bride's Dream (to celebrate by marriage)

Charlene de Monaco (for my mother)

Tiffany (for my best friend)

Felicia (for my other best friend)

Plum Perfect

Pope john Paul II

Poseidon

Teasing Georgia

Shropshire Lad

Scepter'd Isle

Charles Darwin

Lady of Shallot

Vanessa Bell

Golden Celebration

Jude the Obscure

Julia Child

William Shakespeare 2000

Lichfield Angel

Plum Perfect

For other plants:

Castle Spire, Castle Wall Holly

Youngstown junipers

Emerald and green giant arborvitaes

Weigelia

beautyberry

pussy willow

mollis hybrid orange azalea

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked kali_deere
  • Related Discussions

What is on your wish list for 2012?

Q

Comments (35)
    "The property is right outside of the city limits. Forest land takes clearing. The deal would be to rent the house to have it keep costs down" Noogy, Plan on spending more than you planned on. I'm trying to do the same thing you want to do. The good news is, it doesn't cost that much to clear land. A big dozer can do a lot of work in a short amount of time. Up til now I've just grown fruit trees in my backyard but this summer my wife and I bought some land to try to start a larger orchard. The land didn't have to be cleared, but did have to be terraced (which takes a whole lot more equipment hours). There is still a never ending list of things to do and I guess my wish list would be to somehow get those things done. Here's a couple pics my daughter took today. Terraces to plant peach trees. Picture of me on a road grader I bought to do the terrace work. The whole endeavor has been tough, too much to mention. The first day I unloaded the grader I ran over a pile of boards with nails someone had dumped in the weeds. Flats cost $160 a piece to fix, and I had two. There's been a lot of things like that.
    ...See More

What's on your wish list??

Q

Comments (3)
    The top roses on my list are from the hybridizer of a favorite rose of mine, Ascot (I finally received Augusta Luise a little while ago, too, from this hybridizer). They are German roses from Tantau and are not available in the U.S., but the lucky Europeans can get them. See these gorgeous roses on HMF. Lavender Ice Pastella Mariatheresia Astrid Grafin von Hardenberg Tea Time Others I'd like to have: Froufroutante Jackie Climbing Powder Puff Larissa Belinda's Dream Pomponella St Elthelburga Star of the Republic Tuscan Sun There are so many more, but listing them all gets to the point of ridiculousness. Diane
    ...See More

What is on your wish list for Christmas and beyond

Q

Comments (23)
    daylilydayzed, that is the most honest answer I have ever heard. Glad to be with you when you got that out. You probably don't remember the show Queen for a Day in the 1950s. The pitiful women would each have a chance to tell the audience what they needed and then the audience voted by clapping and the woman (they were called "the wife" or "the little women" in those days) would get a much needed washer or some other practical gift that they asked for. Well, you would have won with your boots on the ground honesty. I swear, if there is a Santa then this is the year he will show himself to you!!
    ...See More

What's on your current wish list?

Q

Comments (11)
    I'm going to jump in this one and say I feel SO lucky to have stumbled on that grazielae...but I have a constant want/need/haunt-the-nurseries-for list going too...mine looks somewhat like justina's...and I also can always take in another Hoya, goldstar - I saw a variegated kerrii the other day ! Lustworthy. And I agree on the macho ferns, Lauren & Marcy - major payoff in the dramatic looks department and Ive found them to be less fussy and difficult than most other ferns I've contended with. Inside, outside - give them light and some water and they just pump out the fronds. So, my list... monstera obliqua string of hearts hearty tapioca pilea peperomioides (Chinese money plant) zig zag/fishbone cactus oxalis ...to be continued & added to until I run out of space which is kind of already happening :>
    ...See More
  • mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

The next one I really want is Calico Gal.

But I'm in a little bit of an analysis paralysis. Last week I also took pics of these other Buck roses to analyze before making my decision final.

Prairie Harvest. Is more yellow than off white when I looked it up on the web. In person at the High Country Roses green house it was more off white.

Golden Unicorn - Out of stock this year but maybe next?

And then Gentle Persuasion caught my eye. Zone 4, good repeat, right sized for the area I want to put it. But does it do well in/tolerate shade?

Decisions, decisions...

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked mmmm12COzone5
  • mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

I had headed to High Country Roses last week with every intention of getting Pinata. The fresh bloom was pretty but sort of small for what I like.

The aged not so bad.

and even more aged.

But when I talked to Matt he said it wasn't one of his favorites so then doubt crept in because I have found Matt and I have similar taste in roses...

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

Vaporvac, I so do not believe your not going to buy any roses for a couple of years. LOL!

quote " I don't think I'll be adding any new ones for a couple of years. "

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    4 years ago

Lilyfinch, My DH is the opposite. When we were doing the landscaping in the back I talked about a fig tree, since i love figs. He didn't want the messy fruit attracting, rats, squirrels, parrots ect. FYI- fruit, if in an accessible yard, will also attract coyotes. I relented and now buy lots of beautiful figs every fall. The Tiger Figs I got at Trader Joe's yesterday are very good! Plus the farmer's markets are year round. Grapes are just starting to ripen and you can get unique varieties there. Find a market nearby and bring home lots of lovely fruit. Then over time, he may agree you don't really need so much of it in the backyard. Then more room for roses :-)

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

Zephirine Drouhin is on my list as soon as I can figure out a place to put it. But I've also got to learn to spell it right since I mess it up every time.

http://www.highcountryroses.com/zephirine-drouhin

4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Kristine, I corrected my post to say that P.Schneider carries BB under the name 'Parole'. Joey, you should learn to take cuttings.... then you can expand you garden more economically. Plus, it's loads of fun once you get it to work. mmmm12, I love that Calico Gal! I've seen quite a few of his plants in regional gardens and they always seem to do well. Have you looked into Carefree Beauty? Its flowers are large. I have two cuttings and can't wait for them to mature. While you're here, I wanted to let you know that I finally planted my second cutting of Sally Holmes and this one absolutely loves her site. She has been blooming up a storm non-stop! I wrapped her around a small obelisk and she seems to like it.. Oh I just saw your post above and forgot I also really want Kathleen Harrop, the pink sport of ZD. However, I have so many cuttings of great roses. ; )) I can't even find a small space in my new front bed to transplant Molineux! : ((

• verdantcroft
    4 years ago

Hortico: Quadra, St. Ethelburga, Belle Story (if they offer it again), Tournament of Roses

Palatine: Ascot, Roberta Bondar, Hebe's Lip, Kazanlik

Roses Unlimited: Versigny, Lady of Shalott, Polka, Color Magic

Rose Petals Nursery: Mel's Heritage, Anna Jung, Fields of the Wood

--You did say "wish list," correct?

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked verdantcroft
  • Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    4 years ago

Thanks Stephanie!! I’m hoping one year with these fruit will be all we need to talk him out of them . I had no idea grapes were poison to dogs , my dogs haven’t tried any of the fruit yet luckily . My Henry ( Cavalier King Charles Spaniel) is obsessed with hunting the lizards here . Oy !!!

I sooo hope we don’t attract coyotes , we are backed to a semi busy road and walled in so I hope that helps

I’m sorry for posting off topic but it’s in the name of gaining more space and getting more roses ?! Lol

Apple , avocado, pears ,

Apricots and plums

Plus up front , a cherry tree, avocado, peach too . The peach can go , it wasn’t the family’s favorite. I hate the cherry tree but it has brought so much joy to Lucia And Brian so we keep it . It just shades a lot and drops a ton of cherries .

Oh stephanie , my allrecpices magazine came today with a whole section on fig recipes ! If you like I can send you the article . They looked yummy !!

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 years ago

Still completely off topic but before we learned grapes were poisonous to dogs we froze them and gave them to Piper when she was teething.

Poor puppy! We were poisoning her and didn’t even know it. Luckily we stopped and she wasn‘t harmed.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 years ago

Lilyfinch, Yes message me. I love to cook! I love seeing your yard. That back wall is just begging for some climbing roses. I am thinking you would love Annie Laurie McDowell if it gets 4-6 hours direct sun or Mel’s Heritage if it gets 6 or more. I see an iron trellis...I am guessing a is rose planted there.

4 years ago

Kali, what a great list! I have Lady of Shallot and Golden Celebration. Both are always in bloom and have great fragrance in my hot dry climate. They both get wilted petals if it gets in the 90s though.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have been trying to get ahold of Pat at rose's unlimited to see what they have available for the fall planting looking for distant drums quicksilver buxom beauty

4 years ago

Lilyfinch, all this complaining about fruit trees reminds me about people who complain because their eyelashes are so long they hit their glasses! LOL! : )) I guess I have to experience it myself, but I got so much enjoyment this year from my delicious mulberry, I'm considering not cutting off a huge limb. It was so convenient to pull it to mouth level when I ran out of steam. This particular one was amazing, but usually too high for me to eat. Anyway, I'd just plant some climbers at their base and train them up into the canopy maybe winding the canes around their trunks on the way up. It'll look beautiful. You could even try some singles for a really charming effect.

Original Author
    4 years ago

People who grow food are really very smart because when times get tough all I will have to munch on will be roses.

I got a hold of roses unlimited and have coming this fall distant drums for the Arbor next to quicksilver and my hot pink that I've been looking for buxom beauty

$77 seems like a lot but glad to have them coming

• joeywyomingzone4
    4 years ago

Vaporvac do you have any advice for taking cuttings and getting them to root? I bet the number that I have killed (not one has been successful yet!) is in the triple digits by now, but I would love to learn how to get it to work!

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked joeywyomingzone4
    4 years ago

Kristine, I use veggies as companion plants! Joey, come on over to the Rose Propagation site and we can talk there. I had a similar experience with some really rare treasures, but I've got it pretty good now. Just comment on a recent post and we'll help you. Working with your climate is the most important thing unless you do it indoors. See you there! : )) Also, you have your private messaging turned 'off'. I'd like to send you a pm.

Original Author
    4 years ago

I am rethinking my order to rose's unlimited when I figured it out $77 for 2 roses the shipping works out to $20 per rose.

4 years ago

. Does Chamblees have these roses anymore? I think they used to and I found them reasonable.... at least before the price increase.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    4 years ago

Kristine, postage has gotten so out of control that mail order roses are getting to be a luxury for me.

As for 2020, I'm not finished with my 2019 list, yet. Contrary to what is advised for my zone, I often plant roses in the fall. It's safer than planting during the heat of summer and I'm in clean up mode in the spring and usually don't know where I want things.

I plan to add Rosie the Riveter and another Poseidon, who is proving to be a good lavender rose here. I will also add another Quietness if I can find one. I would like to add Celestine, based on Mossy's photo on another thread, but doubt I can find it locally. Oh, and, call me insane, but another try with Love Song if I can find one grafted. Lavenders and soft oranges have become my 2019 obsession.

If I were to make a 2020 order, it would probably include Portlandia.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    Original Author
    4 years ago

After I calculated the total for shipping from rose's unlimited I remembered that I canceled an order last year because of that very reason very high shipping compared to other companies. I didn't order anything rare so most companies should carry them

Now that I have seen some of the new roses for 2020 I may have to rethink my wish list.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Lily, if you like avocados, rethink your plans to get rid of your tree. My father in law, who lived in LA, had an avocado and a lemon tree that I loved--I used their fruits for all kinds of yummy stuff. When I moved back to Idaho, he sent me a box of the most perfect avocados from his tree every year. Oh, how I miss that. Also, fruit trees (and avocados, I guess) drop their fruit to "thin" an excessive crop; makes for larger and better fruit.

I have run out of space, but if rid myself of a few roses on my annoying rose list, I would want the following next year:

Leonardo da Vinci

Louise Odier

Eustacia Vye (if Austin is selling it in the US next year)

Dr Jane Goodall

Caribbean Breeze

About 25 Tantau roses and Mortalisatis (Italian rose) that I haven't a prayer of obtaining in the US or Canada. Oh, well. Diane

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    4 years ago

*If Available..

-Emily Bronte

- Mill on the Floss

-Eustacia Vye

-Tottering by Gently..it just sounds cool to say and joke about lol..I think bees will love it.

*More of what I love..and what works..

Spirit of freedom

Lavender Crush

~Fighting Temeraire..said I was getting this last year but didn't :/ I'm getting it this year!

Not sure what else..

Still deciding which Antiques I want to add next year.

Other plants:

A super dark red/black Magnolia

Star Magnolia

some pretty Japanese Maples

more epiphyllums, cacti, succulents etc

more gingers (as always lol)

I'm growing out over 100 brugmansia seedlings so i will keep some of those.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • sbrklyn_7bny
    4 years ago

Earth angle and pretty in pink Eden are on my list.

also plan to buy 8-10 climbing roses for the fence, but still need to do research and make sure I am not crazy to want so many climbers.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked sbrklyn_7bny
  • sharon2079
    4 years ago

Due to BenT's pictures.... I am hoping to get Dream Time..... Also due to his pictures I am hoping to find Irises that will grow in Florida.... I have found a couple that say they grow in Zone 10...... however, I don't know if they mean California Zone 10 or Florida Zone 10.... but I am willing to try them.....

I also love Vaporvac's suggestion of Wedding Cake... I like the unusual.

I also loved the picture of Marc Chagall .... it looks wonderful.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked sharon2079
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have been looking at alstromeria. I didn't realize there were so many colors and heights

and I need couple more dahlias.

• Karen F
    4 years ago

Welll the only rose that is on my list for 2020 is a white rose. If by chance they bring out the Oscar Peterson one again for 2020 will get it if not will see if I can pick up a white tea rose from either Lowes garden center or check out Terra Greenhouses and pick one up from there. If there is no evidence of the one rose getting leaves on it will dig it up and put it there. Don't have that much room for them as a lot of them need sun. Bought a chinook sunrise so that can replace the Rainbow knockout and bought a 2nd blaze rose it seems to be progressing pretty good as well. May have to transplant the lizzie rose to a sunnier spot in the garden. No buds or flowers on it yet.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked Karen F
  • Karen F
    4 years ago

Don't get too many for 2020 as in 2021 49th parallel collection of roses the same ones that brought out the shield and the chinook sunrise is bringing out this one in pink known as the Aurora Borealis. Heaven knows where I would put it if my garden center near me is selling this one. Here is the picture of what it will look like and the info on it. And according to them the Chinook Sunrise is a repeat bloomer. Soooooo will see what it does. May concentrate more on getting established than doing a 2nd lot of blooms. BUT then I thought the same thing of my campfire rose when just last week it decided to put out more blooms on it after I deadheaded the first lot. https://gardenmaking.com/roses-to-inspire-our-sense-of-place/

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked Karen F
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    4 years ago

Sharon, if you find any Iris that actually do well here, let me know!! Especially bearded Iris. I am so jealous of those who can grow them. Louisiana Iris do well here and they do have prettier varieties than they used to and they are good for wet areas/plant bogs etc.

They arent as pretty as the Bearded types though.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • Douglas Parker
    4 years ago

My wishlist for 2020 is too long as I am looking for the white and red rose garden in front of my house. Other than this I am quite a fitness enthusiastic person. Also looking to have a perfect body.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked Douglas Parker
    Original Author
    4 years ago

come on Douglas what will be in your red and white yard ? Please just a hint.

Good luck with the perfect body. I know the kind of commitment that it takes

I gave up on perfection years

Now I just work on healthy and happy

• sharon2079
    4 years ago

Sultry I will let you know.... I am looking at the bearded irises only.... those are ones I like too..... plus I am trying to find fragrant ones that rebloom..... I have a couple picked out. I will let you know how the they work out.

4 years ago

sbrklyn, you are not crazy to want so many climbers! Perhaps you can start a post on your fence to help pick some out. They are super gratifying to growing and give a result completely out of proportion to their care.

Sharon, you pm is turned off.

• sharon2079
    4 years ago

Vaporvac, I am not sure where to turn on pm.... I never turned it off.... I think we had that problem before.... I get messages on likes but not sure where the pm button under messages is kept....

4 years ago

Under "edit profile', go to 'advanced settings' and it's near the bottom of the page. Houzz sometimes randomly shuts off my settings so that's what must be what happened.

• sbrklyn_7bny
    4 years ago

Thank you Vaporvac for the suggestion! Yes I’ll definitely ask for advice here since people on this forum are very knowledgeable and friendly. We are in the process of moving to another house and the yard is a jungle at this point so I have a blank slate to work with, after we get rid of all the random shrubs and weeds. So excited!

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked sbrklyn_7bny
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thinking that I will switch Violets pride standard to Pope John Paul 2 standard

I think having all the lavender will need some contrast.

We got the arbor settled on to rebar supports. It makes such a difference in the appearance of that bed , surprisingly so

It is going to be really hot this week so I will hold off on planting for a bit

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 years ago

Kristine, your PJP2 will not only look great but they are gonna smell SO good!

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That is really good to know . I think it will be really pretty with Love Song and plum perfect.

This will be my first standard rose

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    4 years ago

Karen, thanks for the link. Chinook Sunrise is my favorite of the ones in the article. It looks like a cross between Morden Sunrise and Dainty Bess because of the of pink mixed in with the yellow. And, the best part, it's hardy to zone 3a. That will make a lot of people happy.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

Well, I advanced two purchases and just picked up a Pinata and Calico Gal from High Country Roses. I picked them both with a bud each so I could see a flower this year. Pinata was the only rose I found that in several descriptions people said it "preferred" shade, not "tolerated" shade. So we shall see.... It isn't the color/size I would have chosen if I had all the colors to choose from in the world but shade performance had to take priority.

Calico Gal captivated me one time and I keep eye balling it. Since the stock is so reduced in the fall there wasn't alot to distract me so I decided to just get it and stop wishing for it.

It was about 100 degrees here today. But it was hot at the green houses also so I think we'll just pop them in the ground with out hardening them off. I feel like they are likely already hardened.

I talked to Matt about Zephirine Drouhin , which he loves, but he said it was like an accordion in Colorado. Some years it was up on his roof and some years, after a bad winter, it had alot of die back. So I'm giving up on it.

So my new 2020 wish list is:

Love Song

maybe Gentle Persuasian (my light colors - Sally Holmes and Golden wings are Japanese Beetle magnets so I really have to think about adding more light roses, Iceberg is not though. Very odd.)

maybe Westerland - I have to see the blooms in person first.

Tangerine Skies. Looks so beautiful. Would love to see the blooms first.

I suspect in the spring I'm going to be back to wanting really hardy roses and trying to not be swayed by gorgeous greenhouse blooms.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Well, my big, gorgeous Tantau catalog arrived all the way from Germany in just a few days. It's free and there is no shipping fee. Take that, Amazon. If anything, this catalog is even more stunning than the Tantau catalog of 2015-6. I needed smelling salts from swooning over the huge beauty shots of all their roses, as well as beautiful illustrative photos of roses in bouquets, baskets and other settings. I want about 50 of these roses. But my top two favorites are: Sophie Luise, a soft, rich rose color, packed with petals and introduced in 2019. My other favorite is the over the top Eisvogel from 2016. This rose is the waviest, cutest, petal packed rose I've ever seen a photo of--what a permanent wave this one has. So, if you're interested and want to see what the US is missing, go to Tantau's website and order yourself a big, beautiful free catalog. Eventually, they've got to start selling these fabulous roses over here. Diane

4 years ago

I'm looking forward to seeing Blooms from those two buds! Diane, I got one last year. Do you think they'll send me one or do I have to order it every year?

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Vapor, I think you have to order every year, but as you know it's easy. Diane

Original Author
    4 years ago

There are some people on Facebook on one of the rose forums and every time I see a just drop dead gorgeous Bloom turns out it's in Europe and it is a Tantau

Boy are there ever some beauties

I would just be bummed out if I got the catalog knowing I could never have any of those beautiful roses.

• Matthew Gandin
    4 years ago

I really want Prospero, I know that it does very well in my area. If anyone has leads on who may be selling it this year, I'm all ears. If I remember correctly, there was a nursery in Mississippi that had it last year but I missed out.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked Matthew Gandin
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    4 years ago

Matthew, Rose Unlimited has Prospero. I just got it from them in June this year. Helen

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
  • Matthew Gandin
    4 years ago

Thank you, Helen!

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked Matthew Gandin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

My wish list changes every time I see Ann's glorious reds and purples.