That recording of Reagan and Nixon...

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Did not see that this had been posted as a topic for discussion, but I think it's important. Anybody else familiar with the reporting on that recording that was recently released of Reagan and Nixon talking on the phone disparaging UN delegates from African nations?

I guess it was recorded by Nixon without Reagan's knowledge and that was the excuse they gave for not releasing it sooner...?

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/07/ronald-reagans-racist-conversation-richard-nixon/595102/

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/31/747041525/historian-discusses-recording-of-reagans-racists-comments-made-to-nixon

SaveComment12Like
Comments (12)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

And there's more...

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/08/reagan-nixon-trump-white-nationalism/595465/

"Last week, the historianTimothy Naftali revealed a 1971 conversation between Richard Nixon, then the president of the United States, and Ronald Reagan, then the governor of California, in which Reagan referred to African United Nations delegates as “monkeys” who are “still uncomfortable wearing shoes.” Reagan was expressing anger over those African nations that voted to recognize the People’s Republic of China as the legitimate government of China, rather than Taiwan, which had held the seat since the UN was founded, in 1945.

The bald racism of the remarks makes it hard to look beyond the words themselves and focus on the worldview they expressed. Reagan and Nixon were declaring their belief that the African delegates were rendered unfit for participation in world affairs by virtue of their ethnic background, a perspective that inevitably reflects on the rights of black people in the United States. No belief in American history has been more threatening to democracy, or consumed more American lives, than the certainty that only white people are fit for self-government, and the corresponding determination to exclude other citizens from the polity. A man acting on that belief last weekend drove 600 miles from Dallas to El Paso, Texas, to kill 20 people, in the name of stopping an “invasion” of Texas by the people who have lived in Texas since before there was a Texas...."

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

I was disappointed in Reagan upon hearing his words. Expected it of Nixon. Maybe Nixon brought out the worst in people.

Save    

Reagan knew he had a sympathetic ear...?

Save    
leona_2008

Disgusting. All too common then and sadly, all too common now.

2 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

Party of Reagan, now party of Trump, it has been on this path for a very long time.

These days hollering racist language is a hoot and great for rallies.

2 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Not surprised to hear it from Reagan.-- comes from the same place as his 'welfare queens' mantra does.

4 Likes Save    
graywings123(7)

There is a line from Dick Cheney's June 2004 remarks at Reagan's funeral that I have always remembered because it was so beautiful:

If Ronald Reagan ever uttered a cynical, or cruel, or selfish word, the moment went unrecorded. Those who knew him in his youth, and those who knew him a lifetime later, all remember his largeness of spirit, his gentle instincts, and a quiet rectitude that drew others to him.

Turns out it was recorded. Oops.

7 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Reagan was not just a racist, but a snitch as well.

Ronald Reagan was a secret FBI anti-commie snitch

1 Like Save    
patriceny

I think that, to some degree, it's unfair to judge some past actions/words by today's standards.

I always think of my parents, both of whom are now dead. They were good people. One was a democrat, one was a republican. (Probably why I ended up neither. LOL.)

When they were alive - particularly in their later years - they would occasionally say things which made me cringe. They were not raging racists. They did not support the KKK. They would have told you they believed in equality of everyone. And yet....occasionally they would say something that was in my eyes pretty darned racist, sexist, or homophobic. They were a product of their times. I'm not saying they were right - just that they occasionally used language that they had heard growing up which was no longer acceptable.

I am sure when I'm in my 70s and 80s, I'm going to do and say things which younger people will then find equally horrifying.

2 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

I also was not surprised by Reagan because like Nancy I immediately recalled the Welfare Queen lie. Using dog whistle racism in that manner for political gain is blamable because it goes beyond unexamined prejudices.

2 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

I am sure when I'm in my 70s and 80s, I'm going to do and say things which younger people will then find equally horrifying.

I agree, but I hope I do not. I hope for the ability to not resist change, but to be able to accept it and change myself. If I do say things that are inappropriate I hope that my children will feel free to tell me that what I said was wrong. I do not wish to hurt other people with my ignorance, and be dismissed as a grumpy old fool.

1 Like Save    

Yes, but patriceny, wasn't this in the 60s/70s...? He was referring to U.N. delegates from another country. He called them monkeys who were uncomfortable wearing shoes. Nixon was laughing.

Have you heard the recording?

And I believe the idea that his & Nixon's disdain reflected a deeper belief that is completely racist - that such folks were unfit for governance - is covered in the excerpt I shared from the Atlantic article by Adam Serwer.

Save    

Related Stories

Design Pop Pop Culture Watch: 12 Home Trends from the '80s Are Back
Hold on to your hat (over your humongous hair); interior design elements of the 1980s have shot forward to today, in updated fashion
Full Story
Vintage Style Get Away From It All in a Glamper
A glammed-up camper can transport you to a happy place, whether in your yard or on the highway
Full Story
Fun Houzz Houzz Call: Show Us Your Summer-Loving Dog!
Share a photo of your pooch kicking back in the backyard, helping you in the workshop or enjoying your favorite summer getaway
Full Story
Painting Houzz Quiz: What Color Should You Paint Your House?
Is white right? Maybe dark blue-gray? Take our quiz to find out which color is best for you and your home
Full Story
Events Houzz Call: Houseguest Horrors
In the new film ‘Mother!,’ hell breaks loose when visitors drop by Jennifer Lawrence’s remodeled abode. Can you relate?
Full Story
Feel-Good Home 10 Ways to Shower Your Home With Gratitude
Give your home some love with these thoughtful ideas and watch it return the favor
Full Story
Houzz Tours My Houzz: Bright Colors in a Virginia Family Home
Gallery walls, sentimental keepsakes and splashes of jewel tones warm up the interior of this 1980 house
Full Story
Houzz Tours 13 Character-Filled Homes Between 1,000 and 1,500 Square Feet
See how homeowners have channeled their creativity into homes that are bright, inviting and one of a kind
Full Story
Decorating Styles The '70s Are Back. Can Ya Dig It?
No need to cringe. These 21 groovy blasts from the past are updated to look fabulous today
Full Story
Fine Landscapes specialize in custom pools & spas, outdoor kitchens, water features, stonework & paving surfaces,... Read More