Over 85,000 sign petition to rename street by Trump Tower after Obama

dandyfopp

Over 85,000 sign petition to rename street by Trump Tower after Obama

https://pix11.com/2019/08/14/over-85000-sign-petition-to-rename-block-by-trump-tower-after-obama/

NEW YORK — More than 85,000 people have signed an online petition to rename a block of a Manhattan Avenue after former President Barack Obama – a block that just so happens to be the home of Trump Tower.

The MoveOn.org petition is asking Mayor de Blasio and the NYC City Council that Fifth Avenue, between 56th and 57th streets, be officially renamed “President Barack H. Obama Avenue.”

If this were to happen, any building addresses along that block “should be changed accordingly,” the petition says, which would change Trump Tower’s address to 725 President Barack H. Obama Ave.

The MoveOn.org petition has garnered 87,545 digital signatures, and counting, as of early Wednesday morning, on the way to its new goal of 100,000 signatures.

Elizabeth Rowin, who started the petition, told Newsweek, “I honestly started it as a joke.” However, she’s since heard from “several” City Council members who showed support for the idea.

There’s just one little problem; to rename a street in New York City after a person, they must be dead.

“I am sure the conditions can be changed,” Rowin told Newsweek. “there are two streets in LA named after former President Obama. These laws are arbitrary and can be worked around,” she said.

SaveComment16Like2
Comments (16)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Joaniepoanie

Oh please let it happen! Can’t wait to see Trump’s tweets when/if it does!

3 Likes Save    
maifleur01

Wonder where this has been hiding. Too funny and it should happen.

2 Likes Save    
Pippa

I signed it.

1 Like Save    
Delilah66

Who DOESN’T drive the moron crazy?

NYC Council is composed of 48 Democrats and 3 pubs.

1 Like Save    
Joaniepoanie

HU-900506064

Please no. Please name it after someone from New York who would drive trump crazy.

I think Obama would drive him the most around the bend. But we could start a list of alternates:

Hillary Drive

Liz Warren Lane

Comey Court

Mueller Blvd.

Sessions St.

Carry on.

3 Likes Save    
leona_2008

I hope they check with Obama first. He may not want that precisely because of trump tower.

4 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

168,101 signatures at the moment.. .now they are looking for 175,000.

1 Like Save    
pippabean_5b

Too funny!

Picture trump's mail addressed to him thus:

Donald Trump

#### President Barack H. Obama Avenue.

New York, NY

Imagine the rage, the twitter rants, ..the tantrums, the whole dam tower wouldn't stop shaking.

His tenants wouldn't be able to take it and move out...

As a last resort (instead of thumb sucking) he'd raise the number of people at his inauguration to astronomical levels....

Sweet!

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

190,040 signatures as of now!

I just signed the petition.

Here is the link, in case you couldn't find it above: https://petitions.moveon.org/sign/rename-fifth-avenue-in/

Kate

Save    
lurker111

:) Everyone knows what I'm thinking. lol

Save    
margaux

After you get your thank you email from MoveOn, be sure to unsubscribe or you will be bombarded by emails.

Save    
Delilah66

Would it be completely impolitic for me to say that’s one dam tower I’d like to see razed?

3 Likes Save    
pippabean_5b

lurk - Think? Really? That anyone cares?

Keep dreaming.

1 Like Save    
Andie

After you get your thank you email from MoveOn, be sure to unsubscribe or you will be bombarded by emails.

That's not true. I've signed many petitions on MoveOn and never had a problem with subsequent emails.

Save    
cait1

Puerile and petty.

"Elizabeth Rowin is the author of the petition. She told Newsweek, which first reported the story, that it started out as a joke last fall.

"I saw a comedian joke about how it would make Trump so mad if it was named after former President Obama and thought why not," she explained.

She says the petition will be delivered to New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio and New York City Council for their consideration, but it fails to meet one of the key guidelines for co-naming streets in the city.

Individual prospective honorees must be deceased for at least two years prior to consideration.

In addition, Community Board 5, where this block is located, has a moratorium on street renamings."

Happy to see that so many want BO dead already in order to get his name on a street in that area.

Also kind of funny that they want Trump to forever Tower over BO Ave.

MAGA!!!

Here's its theme song

Save    
judeNY_gw

This is not the first time this petition was proposed. IIRC, the first was shortly after he was inaugurated. I never heard what happened to it.

Can we email the petition to trump?

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Working With an Architect How to Hire the Right Architect: Comparing Fees
Learn common fee structures architects use and why you might choose one over another
Full Story
Your First House So You're Thinking About Getting a Dog
Prepare yourself for the realities of training, cost and the impact that lovable pooch might have on your house
Full Story
The Polite House The Polite House: On ‘No Shoes’ Rules and Breaking Up With Contractors
Emily Post’s great-great-granddaughter gives us advice on no-shoes policies and how to graciously decline a contractor’s bid
Full Story