Terry Gross, on Fresh Air today

sjerin

She spoke to author Christopher Leonard about his book, Kochland: The Secret History of Koch Industries and Corporate Power in America. I couldn't hear the whole thing but what I did listen to was fascinating and of course, frightening. It boggles my mind that so many people consider the Koch brothers awesome trailblazers, not manic mega-million money-grubbers riding roughshod over whomever gets in their way. What does one do with 100 billion dollars? I know, it's all a game, just as it is for trump. Did anyone else get a chance to listen to this particular show?

SaveComment17Like4
Comments (17)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

I’ll be listening to the repeat broadcast this evening @ 10.

Thanks for the heads up.

Save    
socks(10a)

sjerin, I heard part of it as well. It sure didn't make me happy. Maybe they are behind the environmental damage trumpy is effecting.

Save    
sushipup1

I heard it. Scary.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

I heard part of it as well on the radio today, and plan to listen to the podcast. I want to hear more.

Here's a link to it:

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/13/750803289/kochland-how-the-koch-brothers-changed-u-s-corporate-and-political-power

Save    
graywings123(7)

The Kochs have spent multi-millions of dollars supporting climate change denial.

Save    
chisue

Robber Barons we shall always have with us. Hope there's something left of Earth to salvage.

Save    

Yes graywings - that was what the portion I heard on the radio was about, describing their funding of a massive campaign against a GOP incumbent who had defied the conservative orthodoxy of climate change denial. The guy they funded to replace him was Trey Gowdy.

Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

I heard the rebroadcast last night -- excellent and informative program.

Save    
sjerin

I was hoping to hear from conservatives who had listened to this. Anyone?

Save    
sushipup1

Conservatives listen to NPR?

1 Like Save    

Some do. Maybe not anyone here, tho...?

1 Like Save    
sjerin

C'mon righties, I challenge you......

Save    
JodiK

You aren't really expecting a substantive answer, are you?

1 Like Save    
cattyles

Lots of pictures, though.

1 Like Save    
margaux

I haven't listened to the podcast but I've been surprised in the past at how unaware the RW is of the Koch's influence. They know (or think they know) all about George Soros however.

Save    

Just finished listening to the podcast today. Very enlightening - and kind of horrifying. Nobody should wield the kind of influence Charles Koch does.

BTW, a couple of years ago Freakonomics.com did a rather fawning 2 part podcast called 'Why Hate The Koch Brothers?'. It's very interesting to hear their side:

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/why-hate-koch-brothers-part-1/

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/why-hate-koch-brothers-part-2/

Save    
sjerin

JodiK, I can always hope.

Save    

Related Stories

Simple Pleasures Simple Pleasures: The Joy of Fresh Sheets
Make your bed a place of comfort and relaxation with good-quality linens, ample pillows and other pleasing accoutrements
Full Story
Decorating Guides 6 Ways to Cool Off Without Air Conditioning
Turn off that cash-guzzling, energy-hogging A/C — these methods of cooling your home and your body are cheaper and kinder to the planet
Full Story
Container Gardens Cultivate a Midcentury Vibe With Built-In Planter Boxes
These staples of 1950s, ’60s and ’70s homes look fresh today. Here are 8 ways to do them — and ideas for what to plant
Full Story
My Houzz My Houzz: Serene Simplicity in Brooklyn
Clean white backdrops and minimal furnishings give a Red Hook rental a peaceful air
Full Story
Most Popular 7 Tips to Sell Your Home Faster to a Younger Buyer
Draw today's home buyers by appealing to their tastes, with these guidelines from an expert decorator
Full Story
Healthy Home How to Clean Your Fridge, Inside and Out
Keep your refrigerator clean and fresh, while you gain storage space and lose those ‘UFOs’
Full Story
Life How to Cool Down a Room in Hot Weather
Here are 15 tips for staying cool and comfortable without an air conditioner or a ceiling fan
Full Story
Architecture Houzz Call: Show Us the House You Grew Up In
Share a photo and story about your childhood home. Does it influence your design tastes today?
Full Story
Decorating 101 Decorating 101: How to Use White Right
If you’ve ever been in white-paint-swatch limbo, you know white can be tricky to work with. Here’s how to get the fresh look you’re after
Full Story