So what are you doing to stay cool?

glenda_al

Water aerobics was nice but pool water was a tad warm.

Just came in from lunch, gonna crawl in bed for a nap and enjoy my fans! Of course with ac going.

Deck thermometer is reading 104 at 2:20pm.

SaveComment17Like1
Comments (17)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Elizabeth

104? I would die. It is in the mid 70's here with a light breeze off Lake Superior. I find that perfect. I don't know how folks handle even 5 minutes of that extreme heat.

2 Likes Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Back yard is saying 104 here also in north Houston. I stay in the house! Luckily I have not had to leave the house for the past few days. But we need to get some groceries. Fortunately the weather man says the temperature will drop into the 90s. Instead of the 100s.

1 Like Save    
DawnInCal

I stay inside if it's over 90 unless I have no choice.

Fortunately, where we are staying right now, has sunny with highs in the upper 60s to lower 70 which is perfect for me. I am really enjoying not having to cope with our typical August heat at home, although, it's been lower than average there this summer. I don't think we've cracked 100 yet at home which is unheard of for August.

1 Like Save    
Marilyn_Sue

It is about 82 out here, and I am in the house now. It has been another busy day. No nap for me, would like one though. I shall go to bed early.

Sue in Central Indiana

1 Like Save    
always1stepbehind

80 degrees here at work but I work indoors with A/C. Knocking on wood and I'm sure we'll get slammed closer to September...the heat hasn't been too bad yet this year. I do not have A/C at home but for the most part I can keep it comfortable by using fans to cool it down in the morning and keep it closed up all day until it cools down in the evenings.

1 Like Save    
maifleur01

I think it reached 91 here today and it feels ok. But I came home yesterday from a quick trip and supposedly the actual temperature was 84 but the amount of humidity made it feel like you were breathing in water. I looked about 6 and my phone showed a heat index of 107 and I could easily believe it. For me it is not the heat but the humidity and the particulate matter in the air.

1 Like Save    
Rusty

Here in my little corner of South Texas, the thermometer reads 99 degrees at almost 4:00 PM. with a 'real feel' of 108 degrees. I've hardly stuck my nose out the door for several days now, but really need to go to the store tomorrow. My AC is set higher than most people set theirs, but I like to be able to pay my electric bill and have groceries, too. So I have fans in each room I spend time in, and run them as needed. I also live in shorts and tank tops in this kind of weather, but only here at home, no way I'd go out in public dressed like this! !

Rusty

1 Like Save    
glenda_al

I'm up from my much deserved nap. Deck temperature is up to 121, true reading cause I get the afternoon sun.

My swimsuit dries out quickly on those days.

Don't recall it ever reaching THIS high ever. Have see over 110 though.

Head index now according to the weather bureau is 101.

Whatever it is HOT!

1 Like Save    
OklaMoni

Oh my gosh... it was HOT yesterday. I was out of town with a
girlfriend... east of Tulsa, and then on the way home we stopped at
Chris' house/yard, and had a garden tour.

When we left, we stopped at Braums (ice cream place) and cooled off eating a big container of Chocolate Almond ice cream. :)

Today is much much cooler, and I just got in from a bike ride, 2 laps around the lake, it is 86

Edited to add this picture, of the route to the lake

Moni

2 Likes Save    
nicole___

76F here. I've been buying capri pants to dress a little cooler and wearing a banana sweat band when I do any digging/work or trail running. The lower patio is really nice and cool. Been eating a LOT of ice cream cones. Yum!

Save    
Fun2BHere

I stay downstairs, lightly dressed, with the ceiling fan running. Our summer has been relatively cool thus far, but we are starting to see some days in the 80's which can be a bit uncomfortable with you don't have air conditioning.

Save    
watchmelol

I don't have ac and we are having a heat wave. I dress lightly, use ceiling fans and wear a cooling scarf. When I ride in the heat I use a cooling vest. By afternoon the backyard gets shade and a nice breeze most evenings and I sit out there.

Tonight is an exception. It is still around 86/88 degrees out there.

Save    
amylou321

It is miserable here. Heat indexes in the 101-105 range. And HUMID. It's like trying to breathe underwater. Under hot water. I am at work and have the ac turned down to 63. I usually dont keep it so cool BUT I must have slept standing on my head a few days ago and have a gnarly crick in my neck that is causing pain from the top of my head all the way down my back on my left side,with random,intense spasms in my shoulder area that are quite painful. And it's only getting worse. As a result I have my hot water bottles and heating pad employed,thus the ac being turned down to compensate. Its fogging up all the windows. But all the drivers and workers who come in here have appreciated it. Other than my nightly 15000 step walk, I am trying to stay inside as much as possible. My poor roses nees water, I just can't bring myself to stand out there with the hose. I may just stick it in the garden while i walk and just move it periodically,since I will already be outside and miserable.

Stay cool everyone. Just keep telling yourself that fall is coming. It's taking its sweet time, but its coming.....

Save    
yeonassky

It isn't too bad here. It has cooled down quite a bit and we have had some rain. It was 25 and 30 Celsius last week . This week and has gone back down to 20 and 18 overnight Celsius.

I hope it cools down for everyone else that is literally dangerous.

Save    
desertsteph

it was 106 here today. expecting 112 tomorrow and about the same for Thurs. back down to 106-7 for Friday. I go outside thru out the day with my pup. very short trips. I did go to the store tonight - about 6.40pm. sun was way over on the west and traffic had cleared out by then. a quick trip out and home. just a bit over an hour. so even without a/c in the car it wasn't bad. I'm hoping I don't have to go out again tomorrow.

Save    
Raye Smith

Easiest way to deal with temperature extremes is to help your body acclimate to the seasons by keeping your home thermostat set closer to the outside temps. So for example, in the summer it may be at 80 and for the winter 66. Biggest problem in the south was stores and offices that went the other direction and over compensated. One office I worked at was set at 65 during the summer, then walking outside to >100 was much harder.

Save    
OutsidePlaying

It was in the upper 90’s here with a heat index of 105. I’m just a little north of Glenda. I’ve been busy this week with meetings of my volunteer group, errands (getting ready for a big trip coming up this weekend), and just staying inside to keep cool. I do a few things outside in early morning and late afternoon in the garden and DH does the same and will mow once a week (riding mower) but can’t get too much done because of the oppressive heat.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Your First House So You're Moving In Together: 3 Things to Do First
Before you pick a new place with your honey, plan and prepare to make the experience sweet
Full Story
Data Watch Data Watch: As Labor Shortages Grow, So Do Project Wait Times
Houzz research finds average project wait times ranging from 3.5 weeks in St. Louis to 13.2 weeks in Boston
Full Story
Holidays The Anti-To-Do List: 10 Things You Don’t Need to Be Doing
Aren’t you busy enough? Give yourself a break and consider letting these tasks go
Full Story
MacAnson Construction is a family business with the unique ability to be both the designer & builder. Our goal is... Read More
Our design services are tailored to your unique needs, timeline and budget. With your vision and our expertise,... Read More