Left Handers Day

how2girl

Not a particularly Hot Topic...

Today the uniqueness of being a left hander is to be celebrated.

Who’s a lefty (not, not a librul, a left hander!)

SaveComment42Like2
Comments (42)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
how2girl

1 Like Save    
how2girl

1 Like Save    
how2girl

1 Like Save    
blue bayou

If 10% of the population is left-handed, how are you unique?

Save     Thanked by how2girl
how2girl

I’m a lefty - smudged writing, fountain pens were the enemy, cutlery always on the wrong side, but play sport, tennis etc with the right. Go figure.

4 Likes Save    
how2girl

Because you’re different from the other 90% I guess.

3 Likes Save    
blue bayou

I am strongly right-handed but can only cut with the knife in the LEFT hand (with surgical precision) but can only write with the right, how does that even make sense?! But even that apparently is not unique (or so I've been told).

PS., Thanks for posting something than the usual political BS.

Spent the Summer in a pool..., every time poitics came up, I jumped into the pool. Sometimes, the discourse entered the pool..., then I head into the DEEP END of the pool.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by how2girl
how2girl

I throw a ball with the right hand, shoot hoops with the right. Don’t know why?

1 Like Save    
elvis

I am exactly the same way. Eat and write left, do most other things right. Can do lots with either hand.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by how2girl
artemis_ma

I can do just about everything I need to do, with my left hand. Except write. I am a righty.

I mouse and use the numeric keypad with my left hand, Leaves the right available for a pen or pencil. I hate having the numeric keypad on my right on this laptop.

If you start early enough, you might be able to do some training. This did not work with Dad. He was a lefty who when to school back in the day when it was evil to write as a lefty. The teachers tied his left hand down to the chair, and forced him to write with his right hand.

The end result was that even his printing was illegible his entire life.

1 Like Save     Thanked by how2girl
Delilah66

Knife in right hand/fork in left and do not switch. I only golf and iron right-handed. Prior to my younger brother and me, no one else was left-handed that we know of. My only child is left-handed, but none of his 6 cousins are, nor either of his 2 children or their 22 cousins.

whynottryit

I am a proud southpaw. I believe the reason many of us do various activities with our 'northpaw' is that we have had to adapt to the right-handed world. My guess is that those who write with their right but use their left for other purposes are closet lefties. *grins*

5 Likes Save     Thanked by how2girl
artemis_ma

I think fine motor movement is best with your dominant hand. The other hand, whichever one... won't ever be so good. I like that I have worked up some skills for my non-dominant hand, and I plan to keep up with that. This will be a lot more difficult, and depending on the skill, perhaps not worth trying to develop with the non-dominant hand, if it does involve intense fine motor movement. Like writing...

Joaniepoanie

Lefty on both counts. Never did anything with my right hand, except cut meat because fork is in left hand. When I was learning how to write, back in the olden days, they tried to make me right-handed but gave up. Four kids in the family and two of us are lefties, the oldest and youngest. My kids are all righties. Yes, we had to adapt to a right- handed world. The worst was smudged ink all the time, spiral notebooks, and school desks that skewed right.

whynottryit

Lord, yes, joanie. And scissors. I went back to college at 43 and for the first time was offered a left handed desk as a "special need" indicating a disability but you bet I took it!

woodnymph2_gw

Lefties are said to be more "artistic." My late mother was a lefty, very artistic, and told me how her father and all teachers tried to get her to change over in school. Our former President Obama was also a lefty.

roxsol

My MIL was right handed until her late teens when she lost her right hand in an accident.

She had to learn to do everything left handed after that.

She had the most beautiful hand writing and taught each of her four children to tie their shoes using only their left hand. My husband can still do it.

nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

I'm left footed when stepping off a curb. Noticed this after I bruised the sole of my left foot. Ouch!

woodnymph2_gw

With me, a righty, it seems to depend upon the task at hand. While cooking, I tend to be ambidextrous. In the morning, I tend to pour my coffee with my left hand.

vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Left handed here 100%.......lefties are right in the head.

patriciae_gw(07)

When I started first grade I was completely dumfounded by the idea of left and right. Some how it hadn't come up at home and I had no clue. It seemed to me the kids were guessing. I have no proper sense of left or right and If I am sure I am wrong and have it backwards. I learned to be right handed but am perfectly capable of trying to do things with my left hand that it doesn't know how to do. People who know me will tell me to use my "other" right or left. I taught myself to write with my left hand just to exercise my brain. Learning to type was murder. It does make you more or less ambidexterous though.

don_socal

As woodnymph said lefties tend to be more artistic as the right side of the brain is the artistic side, the left is more scientific. The sides of the brain relate to the opposite sides of the body. My sister is a lefty and lives in New Zealand so I tease her about being upside down and backwards. I knew a woman that could write mirror writing upside down and backwards with either hand and could read it easily that way. She taught herself to have a secret cipher when she was young that no one could figure out. When a person has a stroke it is often in the left side of the brain and affects speech quite frequently. When some one with a stroke or other brain injury has difficulty getting words out you can ask them to try singing it and often get perfect speech.

loonlakelaborcamp(3 A/B)

Started school as a lefty, was forced to be a righty. (Right arm bound behind back). However, I seemed to get employed by left handers, so I decorate cakes using my right hand, but use a left handed technique. I also assist in surgeries and hand off instruments best to left handers.

Funny, all the artistic and musical people in my family were right handers !

Moxie

I always write (yes, with a fountain pen), use kitchen knives and scissors with my left hand. Other activities are all over the place: some right, some left and a few switch depending on what is most convenient at the moment. I liked doing the crossword puzzle at breakfast, so it was handy to be able to eat with my right hand.

I don't know right from left. My word is often wrong, so look where I point. In a car, a you-turn is toward you, a me-turn is toward me and an ooo-turn is a u-turn.

My left-handed maternal grandfather was forced to write with his right hand. He was truly ambidextrous and could do any action equally well with either hand. One of his parlor tricks was to write two different texts, provided by the audience at the moment, simultaneously.

My work environment always had a much larger number of lefties than other parts of my life. We all had degrees in mathematics, computer science or engineering.

Prim Rose

I'm only a righty :( and the left hand is useless for fine motor.

Those who are ambidextrous are super lucky! You're more likely to be able to play a drum set!

patriciae_gw(07)

Moxie have you heard of the condition Dyspraxia? It is a spectrum thing and you can be slightly or severely impaired. I have been told I probably am but was never tested. No sense of L&R is one sign. They have lists of issues and when you can tick off several..not that it matters. Once a boy friend tried to teach me square dancing. Well you have to be able to turn the appropriate direction reliably and if you think you are turning the right way but actually doing the opposite no one will let you dance in their group. It is called body memory and mine sucks.

Save    
blfenton

My son has a friend who is right-handed and does everything with his right hand - except golf. My dad was left-handed and of six kids only one is left-handed. She married a leftie and 2 of their kids are such.

I have trouble telling my right from my left. If someone tells me to turn right or left, or if I'm told something is on the left or right side, I have to actually stop and think about it. Who knows why.

ubro(2a)

^^^^ I hear you, I always shake my writing hand (right) to mentally help me LOL. I am a righty and a visual artist.

Prim Rose

Your right and left are my north and south. And east and west.

I could get lost with a gps or with a passenger with a map. I need something big - like a mountain range that goes south/north to keep me on course.

Carro

I have to "hand" it to the left handers. It's a righty world and perhaps that's why the lefties tend to be creative. You have to adapt to a lot.

how2girl

Interesting comments from lefties & righties. Those spiral bound notebooks & ring binders at school were certainly devils in disguise. The confusion about telling left from right is also real & it was only as a teen that I truly worked out that you tell from behind a person (for example).

don-socal, interesting comments about NZ, I was born & grew up there. My father was a scientist & a leftie but also very creative, & my brother also a lefty was an artist & chef. I’m inclined more towards the sciences & design. I’ll try your recommendation about asking someone with a brain injury to sing, my nephew has an acquired brain injury, no change in intellect but has trouble getting words out.

1 Like Save    
Sylvia Gordon

To win the battle of the spiral notebook::

open the notebook from the back, and write on what was intended to be the "back" of the pages

I do crossword puzzles in ink and work them from the lower right of the grid to the upper left to reduce smears on my hand.

elvis

Use a gel pen.

don_socal

How 2, my dad had many mini strokes and had difficulty speaking. The frustration would result in many expletives as they were emotional. I had heard about the singing and tried it with him and it worked.

chisue

That Victorian Age lasted a long time. My DH, born late 1930's, was forced to write with his right hand. Even he has difficulty deciphering his writing. Learning to type saved him. He was a good athlete, but would have been a better tennis player, golfer, etc. if he'd been allowed to be a lefty.

He learned to do things with either hand, making him...amphibious, in the words of his drill sergeant.

Re: Map Reading. I think I am different from most women I've known in my ability to read a map and follow 'spacial' assembly directions, yet math and I are not friends. (Algebra, difficult. Geometry, easy.)

woodnymph2_gw

Chisue, I, too, am good at reading maps and I never get lost in cities. I'm an artistic type with high verbal skills and poor math skills. Like you, I found Algebra impossible but Geometry made sense.

Moxie

Chisue, "amphibious" is a hoot!

I have an odd mind. When I hear or read some words, I see fairly elaborate "movies" in my mind. My "ambidextrous" movie is now a colorful frog, doing the crossword puzzle (left) and eating breakfast (right).

ubro(2a)

^^^^ you need to write books :)

patriciae_gw(07)

math savants often see numbers mentally in complex patterns.

I am also a visual reader. I have exceptional reading comprehension. You wouldn't expect that from seeing what you read would you? It is odd how we all learn differently.

chisue

I learn better through my eyes than my ears. I credit my mother with teaching me how to find my way. She'd leave me in "Ladies' Sportswear" at Marshall Field's huge State Street department store and tell me to meet her in "Home Furnishings". (I now realize she probably followed me at first, just in case!) I was also the map reader/co-pilot on long automobile trips from Chicago to Rhode Island.

DawnInCal

I'm a lefty thru and thru, although I have learned to do some things right handed because that's how the majority of the world works. Hubby once bought me a pair of left handed scissors and I couldn't figure out how to use them. I use right handed scissors with my left hand which apparently looks backwards to everyone else. According to my right handed friends and sister, I also hang my clothes in the closet facing the wrong way.

My mother used to tell the story of when I was learning how to feed myself as a toddler. I kept picking up the spoon with my left hand and she'd take it away and put it in my right hand. This back and forth game continued until I'd had enough and threw both the spoon and the baby cereal onto the floor. After that, she let me be.

I am artistic, but have a terrific sense of direction. Math was always a struggle, but I loved any kind of science that revolved around biology or botany. One of my favorite biology assignments was dissecting a cat. My lab partner didn't want anything to do with it, but I didn't mind because that meant I got to do all the hands on work. I design and make jewelry and I always have to remember to put the clasps on necklaces opposite of the way I think it should be since the majority of my customers are right handed.

nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

I see that I’m not alone in having trouble distinguishing left from right when receiving or giving directions. Hubby, frustrated by the time I took figuring out right from left when I was driving, set ground rules for pointing instead of words like right or left.

I do have a good sense of direction, but I orient myself by direction; north, south, east, west. I am the navigator on vacations — study street/country maps, hiking trails. Once I’ve walked through streets, I can get us back to where we started.

I loved algebra, struggled with plane geometry; good with languages; visual learner; artistic.

Odd that hubby remembers occasions by the music that was being played; I remember by clothes people wore, colors, and faces.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Bedrooms Room of the Day: Master Suite Recalls Hollywood’s Glamour Days
Silver-screen styling finds it way north to a Hollywood Regency-inspired bedroom in Toronto
Full Story
Pets These Pets Saved the Day, or Save Every Day, at Home
Before American Humane gives out its Hero Dog Awards on Sept. 29, we celebrate readers’ pets who’ve helped their humans
Full Story
Laundry Rooms Room of the Day: A Laundry So Cheery, Wash Day Is Wonderful
Pretty paint and playful touches banish chore-day blahs in a laundry room designed for a magazine’s Idea House
Full Story