'I'm white, old, they call me all kinds of names':

chijim

"Everybody knows we're the bad people," Fisher continued. "[They say that] I am a racist. I went to school and shared my dorm with a colored guy. I have nothing against him. I grew up in the East."

'I'm white, old, they call me all kinds of names': Iowan tells MSNBC to 'guess' who he is voting for

by Tim Pearce | August 12, 2019 12:47 PM

Print this article 00:01 00:56

An Iowan voter refused to tell MSNBC reporter Vaughn Hillyard who he is supporting for president in 2020, telling Hillyard to "guess."

Hillyard staked out the Iowa State Fair's "Cast Your Kernel" poll station where fair-goers drop kernels of corn into containers in a mock vote for 2020 presidential candidates.

Hillyard asked fair-goer Bob Fisher who he dropped his kernel for as the Iowan was leaving the polling station.

00:00 00:30

"Guess," Fisher told the MSNBC journalist. "I'm white, old, they call me all kinds of names. Who do you think I would vote for? Come on, you're smarter than that."

"Everybody knows we're the bad people," Fisher continued. "[They say that] I am a racist. I went to school and shared my dorm with a colored guy. I have nothing against him. I grew up in the East."

When pressed by Hillyard, Fisher said that President Trump is not a racist. Hillyard then asked if Fisher understood why others called the president a racist.

"Yes and no," Fisher responded. "Some of those people [Trump] is talking about have said just as bad things about him that you can’t say on TV."

Video: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/im-white-old-they-call-me-all-kinds-of-names-iowan-tells-msnbc-to-guess-who-he-is-voting-for

SaveComment93Like
Comments (93)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur01

He shared his dorm???? Sort of like having someone of a different background sharing your town.

1 Like Save    
elvis

I suspect he meant his dorm room. Don't expect too much. After all, he's old and white, unlike most here, LOL.

6 Likes Save    
blue bayou

ALL the old, white people I know HATE tRump with a burning passion..., location, location, location. This is as much about geograhy (if not more), than it is about advanced AGE! (I saw the interview.)

10 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

The problem is more complex than that. If he is white and old and takes offence in being called a racist when he is not, then I would hope he speaks up against the white old racists who do support Trump or any other candidate.

It is no different up here, if you support any political platform, I see no problem. But if you support a political platform, but do not call them out when they cross a line into racist, homophobic rhetoric, then you are part of the problem.

We all have to choose what we wish to support and if you are supporting a candidate with racist tendencies but you like his economic plan, you have, IMO, made a choice to put economics over human rights.

At some point you may find out that your decision leads people view you as racist. If your candidate spouts some ugly views which you do not refute on the basis that he has a few good ones, I guess that is the price you seem to be willing to pay.

16 Likes Save    
artemis_ma

I'm white and 65 (I don't call myself old, though my knees are, and I'll be the first to label them that). The rest of me is as young as my mind remains. It does.

Never got called any sort of names yet.

Thinking this is sort of a weird un-useful thread. Was there a point?

2 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

This seems pretty simple to me.

When you go to a rally for your chosen candidate and you look around and see nazis in various flavors, conspiracy theorists, and assorted crack pots cheering right along side- it is time to reevaluate your attachment to the candidate or have the sense to realize and come to grips with the old saw.. You are the company you keep.

If you don't care about that, fine. Quit whining.

3 Likes Save    
mudhouse

The problem is, indeed, more complex than that, ubro. And it's even more complex than your comment above illustrates.

I'm not questioning your right to your viewpoint, but your comment above depends on the assumption that everybody agrees that the candidate in question has racist tendencies. That's a false assumption. Not everybody agrees with that very central point.

So from my point of view, the only people who will view me as racist, because I support that candidate, are the people who disagree with me on whether or not he's racist.

If people decide to discount me based on their assumption that everybody sees everything the same way they do, it's their choice, and their loss (because it's an overly simplified and inaccurate way to look at things.)

8 Likes Save    
elvis

Perfectly stated. I feel as you do, Mud ^^^.

So from my point of view, the only people who will view me as racist, because I support that candidate, are the people who disagree with me on whether or not he's racist.

3 Likes Save    
Camille

Trump supporters continue to deny that he is a racists because otherwise they have to wear the same label. You can't support a racist and claim the higher ground.

Trump was a racist long before he became president. Common knowledge. His supporters knew exactly who and what he was and still voted for him.

11 Likes Save    
Delilah66

5 of the worst years of my life were spent in Iowa. Sorry, but it was the most closed community I’ve ever lived in. Our corporate atty would come in to advise and just shake his head.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

It must take some mental gymnastics to deny Trump had made racist statements to curry the favor of a portion of the Rep party that is pushing international White Nationalism language, some times called White Supremacy. Why is he doing that if he says he decries them?

8 Likes Save    
miss lindsey (still misses Sophie)(8a)

“At some point you may find out that your decision leads people view you as racist. If your candidate spouts some ugly views which you do not refute on the basis that he has a few good ones, I guess that is the price you seem to be willing to pay.”

“If people decide to discount me based on their assumption that everybody sees everything the same way they do, it's their choice, and their loss (because it's an overly simplified and inaccurate way to look at things.)”

It’s really interesting to me that these two paragraphs say roughly the same thing. ubro points out that supporting a person with questionable morals will make a certain proportion of people believe that you share those morals and that is the price you pay. Mudhouse points out that s/he knows people will box her/him in that way and is willing to accept that reality.

There will always be some people who reduce others to the easiest and most convenient label. The longer I live, the more cynical I become and I sometimes feel like most people do that. And then I realize that in thinking that, I’m doing it!!

I feel bad for the man interviewed because I don’t think that most people believe Trump supporters to be racist bigots. I doubt anyone has said that to this man in real life, I think the news media he consumes tells him that people are saying that about him. And that is tragic. I could be wrong of course. I’m basing my presumption on the conversations I’ve had with elderly people with whom I’m close.

3 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

"I'm white, old, they call me all kinds of names"

But no one is calling him names BECAUSE he is white or old--but BECAUSE he supports someone with a well-established racist record.

He could be green and 18 years old--but if he supports someone with a well-established racist record, he would be tainted by his promotion of such a candidate.

"White" and "old" are cop-outs--have nothing to do with the race discrimination issue.

Kate

11 Likes Save    
Kathy

White and old is the RW talking point to curry their vote. I am white and old and I remember all the racism coming from whites since I was a kid. I might have been young but I could decipher fallacies even then. Whites were fearful of being overtaken by other races diluting their whiteness. Over the year a lot of that has fallen by the wayside with some races but not the ones who have the ability to outnumber whites. They can no longer be cast off as mental deficient races because they have integrated and proven that wrong. Now the fear is they will take over the power. That was the fear with Obama, a black man in the WH, never should have happened in the mind of White Nationalists.

4 Likes Save    
barncatz

Who gets to define what racism is? Trump?

[Tony] Morrison understood the challenge then and now: reckoning, via language and imagination, with a complete history of how this nation was formed.

The stories people tell themselves of themselves are extremely limited, and a bulk of the conflict rests with the imagination itself—of who can be an American.

“The term ‘political correctness’ has become a shorthand for discrediting ideas. ... You’re not stripping language by requiring people to be sensitive to other people’s pain,” Morrison said later in a 1994 interview.

“What I think the political correctness debate is really about is the power to be able to define. The definers want the power to name. And the defined are now taking that power away from them.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/08/what-toni-morrison-knew-about-trump/595885/

10 Likes Save    
chijim

artemis_ma

I'm
white and 65 (I don't call myself old, though my knees are, and I'll be
the first to label them that). The rest of me is as young as my mind
remains. It does.

Never got called any sort of names yet.

Thinking this is sort of a weird un-useful thread. Was there a point?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As part of of the most entitled groups in the US...he's making himself a victim

The other point, notice using 'colored' he doesn't seen to care what another group prefers to be called - he can't be bothered.

7 Likes Save    
Delilah66

When the smartest kid in the class is a bully and harms other students physically or verbally does he get a pass because he pulls the teachers’ creds up?

1 Like Save    
JodiK

What Ubro said.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Worth a repeat:

“What I think the political correctness debate is really about is the power to be able to define. The definers want the power to name. And the defined are now taking that power away from them.”

6 Likes Save    
queenmargo

To recap: I am white, and I am old, they call me all kinds of names. I also own a MAGA hat, guess who I am voting for, LOL

Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

When the foreign press calls out Trump for racist rhetoric, there's little doubt what he is, or that he is exploiting racism for his own advantage -- possibly worse than being a racist.

5 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

If you're old and don't listen to others - some will call you names but likely you are mis-hearing since you don't listen to others.

If you think you listen carefully to others and repsect the opposing view and yet are called names then maybe you really aren't listening.

Save    

How does he feel about being called a geezer?

Save    
dandyfopp

Not a racist though.

LOL

1 Like Save    
ubro(2a)

I am both white and old and I come from a large family of white and now old men and women and not one is racist or has been called one. So the white old angle is not his problem, associating himself with a racist leaning candidate is.

On reflection, after reading chijim's post, his reference to 'coloured' guy is kinda "off putting"

I got dismissed yesterday for starting with the word 'So.' Apparently everything after that is not valid. But you are on the RW side of things so I am sure the poster will let your faux pas pass, unlike mine. I will add that I do not agree with that posters views so, 'So' away.

Trump is courting the racist vote with some pretty ugly words and views which, IMO, amounts to the same thing.

4 Likes Save    
lurker111

Trump is courting the racist vote with some pretty ugly words and views which, IMO, amounts to the same thing.

I really don't see Trump courting the democrats.

4 Likes Save    
queenmargo

LOL

2 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

caitkin

You don't say!

I assume you are responding to Margie's post of....

To recap: I am white, and I am old, they call me all kinds of names. I also own a MAGA hat, guess who I am voting for, LOL

LOL

1 Like Save    
PRO
Joseph Corlett, LLC

"Trump supporters continue to deny that he is a racists because otherwise they have to wear the same label. You can't support a racist and claim the higher ground.

Trump was a racist long before he became president. Common knowledge. His supporters knew exactly who and what he was and still voted for him."

Nonsense.

4 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

Nah, it's true, and its only just a google away.. if you care.

https://www.clearinghouse.net/chDocs/public/FH-NY-0024-0034.pdf

4 Likes Save    
Camille

" Trump was a racist long before he became president. Common knowledge. His supporters knew exactly who and what he was and still voted for him."

Worth repeating. Over and over again. Because it is the truth.

3 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

Way to drum up biz.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Way for Trump and ilk to drum up the unhinged basic base

1 Like Save    
ohiomom

President Donald Trump says he is "absolutely a nationalist," and says that he's never heard of the term being associated with white nationalism.

Really??

The first documented use of the term "white nationalist" was 1970, according to Merriam-Webster.[16] The term was originally used by white supremacists as a euphemism for white supremacy, with specific views being developed later.[17] According to Daryl Johnson, a former counterterrorism expert at the Department of Homeland Security, the term was used to appear more credible while also avoiding negative stereotypes about white supremacists.[11] Modern members of racist organizations such as the Ku Klux Klan generally favor the term and avoid self-describing as white supremacist.[18]

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Trump values lies more than honesty

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Please tell me Trump isn’t that Stupid!

Save    
elvis

How does he feel about being called a geezer?

How would you feel about being called a geezer?

1 Like Save    
PRO
Joseph Corlett, LLC

dandyfopp:

What part of "it is expressly understood and agreed that the execution of this Agreement by Trump Management, Inc., is in no way an admission by it of a violation of the prohibition against discrimination as set forth in the Fair Housing Act of 1968, or any other applicable statute, rule or regulation." do you not understand?

Save    
PRO
Joseph Corlett, LLC

"Worth repeating. Over and over again. Because it is the truth."

Well if it's the truth, then you should have no problem substantiating your argument. Please do.

Save    
dandyfopp

No misunderstanding any of it.

What part of the Fed having evidence of the offense and Donnie and Daddy having to sign an agreement with the government not to discriminate in the future do you not understand?

Now talk to me about the Central Park Five.

2 Likes Save    
PRO
Joseph Corlett, LLC

The Trumps signed an agreement with the government admitting that they didn't discriminate. I can't believe you can't understand that.

Save    
maifleur01

Nope that is standard verbiage when there is an agreement and a fine. If they did not do what they were accused of why pay the fine. Out of the goodness of their hearts?

4 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Context - the thing TrumpFans often don't get.

The Trumps signed a consent decree. They had to post all their apartments with the Urban League, advertise in the Amsterdam News, and elsewhere. In exchange they got to sign a statement NOT saying that racist practices had been used.

1 Like Save    
numbersjunkie

"The Trumps signed an agreement with the government admitting that they didn't discriminate. I can't believe you can't understand that."

How naive. How gullible. That's my issue. It's not politics.

3 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Lots more to add to An's list of examples of trump's racism:

• Father a member of the KKK and trump worked closely with his father
  • NYC discrimination suit which was settled and he continued to violate the terms of the settlement
  • obama & birtherism
  • “I have a great relationship with the blacks.”
  • “Black guys counting my money! I hate it. The only kind of people I want counting my money are little short guys that wear yarmulkes every day.”
  • Calling for the death penalty for the central park 5 even after they'd been acquitted
  • On June 2, 2016, Trump told the Wall Street Journal that Curiel had "an absolute conflict" in presiding over the litigation given that he is "of Mexican heritage" and a member of a Latino lawyers’ association.
  • Re Ghazala Khan: "If you look at his wife, she was standing there," he said, "She had nothing to say... Maybe she wasn't allowed to have anything to say. You tell me."
  • Referred to immigrants as an invasion or infestation over 500 times during his rallies
  • Suggesting to a black reporter at his press conference that he set up a meeting with the Congressional Black Caucus asking him if he knows these guys

3 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"But if you support a political platform, but do not call them out when they cross a line into racist, homophobic rhetoric, then you are part of the problem."

Under that "system," liberals get to decide who is guilty of what "thought crimes," and then deem their targets (people who disagree with them) as morally defective.

Americans have a right to secure borders, and no duty to tolerate an invasion by any foreign population. Scolding middle America for it's "racism" is a really good way to get law abiding citizens to the polls. Keep it up.

4 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

"Americans have a right to secure borders, and no duty to tolerate an invasion by any foreign population."

And Americans have a right to disagree with you about whether or not and how borders should be secured and about whether or not immigration should be considered "an invasion."

Just as (you claim) liberals don't get to decide who is guilty of what "thought crimes," in like manner, Trumplicans don't get to decide who is guilty of what "thought crimes" either.

I agree that "Americans" get to decide, but your implication that liberals are not Americans and that Trumplicans are is oh, so wrong. And "Americans" also include independents and unaffiliateds and others who, for instance, belong to a green or other party.

The world is much wider and more inclusive than just Democrat vs Trumplican.

Kate

7 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

I've read a few comments about far left accounts having been removed yet haven't noticed anything different.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Haven't seen any "excellent arguments that destroy the liberal narrative."

Have seen comments about how America is for the real Americans (which invariably has turned out to mean those who recognize the country was built by hard working people who were mostly white men).

1 Like Save    
PRO
Joseph Corlett, LLC

Ziemia: You and An aren't clicking on my links then. This destroys the fake news Trump is always talking about.

Save    
queenmargo

Joseph- they will only tell you that because you support the RACIST President, you are therefore RACIST. Guilt by association. You will have a better chance getting through talking to a brick wall.

The libs have locked in on this RACIST name calling. See you at the polls;)

3 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

If you want me to verify "your true truth" then you can find more sources, right?

PragerU?

Besides, written words are more reliable than video. Gotta transcript?

Save    
Kathy

Trump is the one who is trying to justify retweeting conspiracy theorists of the worst kind. He likes them because they have a half million followers, not because they might be truthful or credible.

He thinks followers equal respect. He counts his followers like notches in his belt and therefore thinks you respect him.

As long as his followers keep respecting him he will never become a better man. Too many allow his childish actions and incompetence as President.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Because PragerU is famous for leaving out key info (as that info would show the weakness of the position).

Save    
olliesmom

Ziemia(6a)

Because PragerU is famous for leaving out key info (as that info would show the weakness of the position).

^^^^^

pot; kettle.

1 Like Save    
barncatz

The liberal, anti-white Nixon administration sued Donald Trump's family owned and run business for refusing to rent apartments to minorities.

Conclusion: The liberal biased Nixon administration wrongfully accused Trump Org of discriminatory practices. I believe this conclusion is deplorable for dismissing the pain of the people Trump Org turned away because of their skin color and the courage of those who fought Trump Org; renters and government employees alike.

A noted black author states that whites insist that they alone will determine what is racist when said or done toward minorities. They do not believe minorities have equal, much less superior, viewpoints to identify and name discrimination based on racial dislike, fear or ignorance. This black author's viewpoint is ignored or dismissed.

When I represented young women claiming employment harassment or discrimination, the men defined their behavior as "compliments" or "jokes". It wasn't until enough women and men accepted the womens' definitions instead, that any woman could make progress towards equality.

10 Likes Save    
queenmargo

show us the "key" information Ziemia

2 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"And Americans have a right to disagree with you about whether or not and how borders should be secured and about whether or not immigration should be considered "an invasion."

Not in dispute, Kate. We don't have to agree on anything. We can make a case for or against anything we like.

The writer I was responding do didn't do that. That person lectured that support for a political platform obligates one to "call out" what HE deems to be "racist, homophobic rhetoric."

"I agree that "Americans" get to decide, but your implication that liberals are not Americans and that Trumplicans are is oh, so wrong."

No such implication made. Americans ALL have a right to secure borders, and no duty to tolerate an invasion by any foreign population.

Americans also have a right to elect a Democrat President next term. The American people might elect one of the candidates promising free health care for illegal aliens. Or Americans might elect Donald Trump again, who is focused on securing our borders.

3 Likes Save    
numbersjunkie

"This is why you lost in '16 and why you're going to lose in '20. We aren't "deplorables" nor racists."

Um. OK, if that's what you believe, it must be true. LOL. Hang onto that!

1 Like Save    
Camille

"Donald Trump’s long history of racism, from the 1970s to 2019"

This is the man that republicans support.

Tells us again how trump supporters are not racists?

https://www.vox.com/2016/7/25/12270880/donald-trump-racist-racism-history

1 Like Save    
PRO
Joseph Corlett, LLC

Camille:

Keep riding the racist horse please. It will be dead before November after next, I promise.

1 Like Save    
artemis_ma

Frankly, I don't think Trump is a rascist.

You disagree with anything he says... he goes all out against you. Nothing about race in that.

1 Like Save    
Delilah66

“Nah, it's true, and its only just a google away.. if you care.”

dandy, poor you! You fell into the trap. He wasn’t being racist. It was just a good business decision. No harm, no foul.

”WOW- how sad that just because someone has a different political view than you numbers that you would not like them anymore. So liberal!”

You think accepting a racist as prez is a political view? A political view is about governance not morals. Your prez is immoral.

3 Likes Save    
margaux

Reading this you'd think that racists are a mythical creature. I have news for you, if you want to find America's racists, the best place to find them is in the Republican party. Then you can zero in even closer and you'll find them supporting Trump.

2 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

" Frankly, I don't think Trump is a rascist."

Depends on how you define 'racist'.

Take the Central Park Five example - when did he get similarly involved when the alleged assailants were white?

1 Like Save    
dandyfopp

Donnie does one thing extremely well and that is stoke white fear and it doesn't work on everyone. Donnie fans don't see themselves as racist but they jump like marionettes when Donnie tugs the strings and pushes the buttons with invaders, muslims, sh#thole countries, war zones. This happens here all the time.

They see themselves as victims in a dangerous and changing world and he is their champion.

What he says and does is nakedly racist, but even if Donnie screamed the N word, Donnie fans are never going to acknowledge it.

6 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

For your information:

Those video link above that poster Joseph Corlett, LLC wants us to view--right-wing propaganda! They are 5 min. videos that pretend they are somehow "academic"--but they are not. They are political--right-wing political. They are produced by something called "PragerU"--which is explained below. (It is not a university.)

--------------------------------------------

"PragerU, short for Prager University, is an American non-profit organization that creates videos on various political, economic and philosophical topics from a conservative or right-wing[1] perspective. The videos are posted on YouTube and usually feature a speaker who lectures for about five minutes.[2]

PragerU is not a university, nor is it an academic institution.[3] It does not hold classes, and does not grant certifications or diplomas and is not accredited by any recognized body.

PragerU was founded in 2009 by conservative radio talk show host Dennis Prager and radio producer and screenwriter Allen Estrin,[5] in order to present conservative views and to offset what Prager regards as the undermining of college education by the left.[2][6] PragerU is based in the San Fernando Valley; it had more than 20 employees as of March 2018.[7]

[. . .]

PragerU releases one video per week on various topics from a conservative viewpoint. . . .

. . . In one video, a presenter argues that "racism, bigotry, xenophobia, homophobia, and Islamophobia" are "meaningless buzzwords". In a video on the topic of the alt-right, a PragerU presenter argues that it is similar to the American Left, saying "the alt-Right has nothing in common with conservatism, and is in fact much closer to leftism... Except of course, the left is much, much larger."[7] In 2018, PragerU published an anti-immigration video by Michelle Malkin, a conservative known for defending the internment of Japanese Americans during World War II.[15]

Other PragerU videos defend the Electoral College, arguing that "pure democracies do not work" and that the Electoral College thwarts voter fraud. Still other videos argue that the scientific consensus on climate change is wrong, there is no police discrimination toward African-Americans, and the gender pay gap does not exist.[5]

PragerU has developed two partnership programs to help cultivate relationships with educators.[16] PragerU's Educator Program supplies teachers with lesson plans and study guides that accompany their videos. Additionally, secondary school teachers and college professors can register their classes through PragerU's Academic Partnership program, which lets students sign up and allows teachers to monitor their students' progress.[16]

[. . .]

Reception[edit]

In a video entitled, "Why Did the Democratic South Become Republican?", host Carol M. Swain, a former professor at Vanderbilt University, argued that the Southern strategy–the Republican Party's strategy of purposely exploiting racial tensions in the late 1960s to appeal to racist white Southerners–was false revisionism. Kevin M. Kruse, a professor of history at Princeton University, said that the video presented a "distortion" of history, "cherry-picked" its evidence, and was an "exercise in attacking a straw man".[18]

Alex Nowrasteh of the Cato Institute criticized an anti-immigration PragerU video by Michelle Malkin. Nowrasteh said that the video was "rife with errors and half-truths, leaves out a lot of relevant information, and comes to an anti-legal immigration conclusion that is unsupported by the evidence presented in the rest of the video."[15]

Regarding the PragerU video "The Suicide of Europe" by Douglas Murray, ADL fellow Mark Pitcavage has said that he doesn't consider it fascist or white nationalist, but that the video is prejudiced, and he says that it contains anti-immigrant and anti-Muslim rhetoric that would certainly be agreeable to white supremacists. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PragerU

----------------------

Now you know.

My advice is stay away from those videos. They will corrode your mind!

And you might want to check your child's classes to see if the teacher is using these PragerU videos as a teaching tool in class or for extra-credit or something. If so, yell out in protest!

Kate

3 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Alex Nowrasteh of the Cato Institute criticized an anti-immigration PragerU video by Michelle Malkin. Nowrasteh said that the video was "rife with errors and half-truths, leaves out a lot of relevant information, and comes to an anti-legal immigration conclusion that is unsupported by the evidence presented in the rest of the video."

Cato Institute objects to their views.

Cato is no liberal org.

3 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Good point, Ziemia.

Seems like nobody except their converts believes them.

Kate

1 Like Save    
Kitchenwitch111

Perhaps this would be helpful:

Prejudice is when a person negatively pre-judges another person or
group without getting to know the beliefs, thoughts, and feelings behind
their words and actions. A person of any racial group can be prejudiced towards
a person of any other racial group. There is no power dynamic involved.

Bigotry is stronger than prejudice, a more severe mindset and
often accompanied by discriminatory behavior. It’s arrogant and mean-spirited,
but requires neither systems nor power to engage in.

Racism is the system that allows the racial group that’s
already in power to retain power. Since arriving on U.S. soil white people have
used their power to create preferential access to survival rights and
resources (housing, education, jobs, voting, citizenship, food,
health, legal protection, etc.) for white people while simultaneously
impeding people of color’s access to these same rights and resources.

http://www.debbyirving.com/qa/are-prejudice-bigotryand-racism-the-same-thing/

3 Likes Save    
HU-219136540

the indoctrination is strong on the right.

Save    
PRO
Joseph Corlett, LLC

dublinbay:

You are engaging in the logical fallacy of relevance, ad hominem circumstantial. You must address the arguments in the linked video, not the circumstances of the maker of the video which are irrelevant.

1 Like Save    
elvis

dublinbay z6 (KS)

"Numerous radical left extremist trolls are so angry that they have finally been banned from Houzz for their hate speech."

I was not aware of this. When did this political purge occur here on HT and why weren't some really inflammatory right-wing trolls not included in the ban?

If "numerous radical left extremist trolls" have been banned, how would you know how angry they are? Do you communicate privately by email with them?

Kate

Who are you addressing, kate? I don't see the post you've quoted ^^^ above. Is this from another thread, and if so, who is the author?

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

"You must address the arguments in the linked video, not the circumstances of the maker of the video which are irrelevant."

Strange demand.

PragerU videos seem to be famous because of their faults.

1 Like Save    
elvis

A noted black author states that whites insist that they alone will determine what is racist when said or done toward minorities. They do not believe minorities have equal, much less superior, viewpoints to identify and name discrimination based on racial dislike, fear or ignorance. This black author's viewpoint is ignored or dismissed.

Who?

Save    
elvis

Take the Central Park Five example - when did he get similarly involved when the alleged assailants were white?

Was there another Central Park Five with white guys? No? Well, there you go.

What he says and does is nakedly racist, but even if Donnie screamed the N word, Donnie fans are never going to acknowledge it.

Some use it so often it's lost its punch. Pity.

Save    
cattyles

Who’s ”may”? Aren’t you breaking the rules your side insisted on?

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

cattyles

Who’s ”may”? Aren’t you breaking the rules your side insisting on?

Prim Rose

soooo, margo is very very fascinated with alcoholic drinks (about 50 comments about Tennessee Fire was the clue) and seems to need to discuss them on HT. That's not appropriate, but it sure would be here.

Seems it happens a lot cattyles.

1 Like Save    
elvis

Oops, thanks. I didn't finish my sentence, did I? Fixed it just for you, catty.

Save    
queenmargo

I always figured that who it is.

Save    
Camille

"elvis

Was there another Central Park Five with white guys? No? Well, there you go.

Some use it so often it's lost its punch. Pity."

Donny has used the N word and there is no need for them to acknowledge it, because they know and don't care.

Save    
elvis

Camille, you're such a kidder!

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Elvis--

"Who are you addressing, kate? I don't see the post you've quoted ^^^ above. Is this from another thread, and if so, who is the author?"

Dunno! I've been so busy out in my garden, pulling overgrown weeds and sweating profusely, that I have no memory of whom I was addressing. All I remember is being surprised at someone's comment about lots of left-wingers getting banned so this forum is finally "balanced" (or some word like that).

I kinda think someone deleted the thread in question.

Kate

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

Donny has used the N word and there is no need for them to acknowledge it, because they know and don't care.

Surely there is a video or article where that is quoted, could you show it to us.

2 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Did I ask about another Central Park Five?

No.

Save    
Camille

"elvis

Camille, you're such a kidder!"

Republicans apparently find being racist funny. How sad is that.

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Joseph, where is the rule written down that I must "address the arguments in the linked video" just because you want me to?

I never argue with a video, but if I were to give a critique of a video, I would certainly include who is the maker and what is his/her agenda and reputation. If the source is known to be biased and prejudiced, I will not accept their word on any issue--especially when what they are known for is false information, cherry picking information, slanting arguments, etc.

I suggest, Joseph, that you follow your own rules, and I will follow mine. It's a free country, ya know.

Kate

4 Likes Save    
elvis

dublinbay z6 (KS)

Elvis--

"Who are you addressing, kate? I don't see the post you've quoted ^^^ above. Is this from another thread, and if so, who is the author?"

Dunno! I've been so busy out in my garden, pulling overgrown weeds and sweating profusely, that I have no memory of whom I was addressing. All I remember is being surprised at someone's comment about lots of left-wingers getting banned so this forum is finally "balanced" (or some word like that).

I kinda think someone deleted the thread in question.

Kate

I see. Thanks.

_________

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Barbara Res, a longtime employee of Donald Trump, has recalled the culture of racist jokes that was present during her 18 years working for The Trump Organization.

Res, who was the organization’s vice president in charge of construction, told CNN’s Brooke Baldwin on Thursday that “it was a different period of time and words like the N-word were used frequently; they aren’t ever used now.”

-----------------

In August, CBS published a tape recording released by Trump’s former aide Omarosa Manigault Newman in which she, Katrina Pearson and Patton discussed Trump’s use of the N-word.

Save    
elvis

As Margie said above:

Surely there is a video or article where that is quoted, could you show it to us.

No? Uh-huh.

1 Like Save    
maifleur01

I do not think that if there was a tape that was posted here that the people asking for the tape would believe it was real.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

One can be a racist without using the 'n' word...and of course one can deny being a racist even when they use the 'n' word.

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZtRQhwJ3N0&t=12s but fair warning...the guy who denies he's racist makes frequent use of the 'n' word.

Save    
elvis

maifleur01

I do not think that if there was a tape that was posted here that the people asking for the tape would believe it was real.

Thank goodness here in the USA the accused is presumed innocent till proven guilty. It's possible to prove guilt, but to prove innocence, not so much. May you never be called for jury duty.

Save    

Related Stories

Life You Said It: ‘Just Because I’m Tiny Doesn’t Mean I Don’t Go Big’
Changing things up with space, color and paint dominated the design conversations this week
Full Story
White My Houzz: All Right With All-White in a Modern New Jersey Home
A bold monochrome palette with black accents, modern art and treehouse-like views of NYC are stars in this couple’s dramatic home
Full Story
Collections Collective Wisdom: Display Ideas for Collections of All Kinds
Show your interests without exposing clutter by going for artful arrangements with a unified feel
Full Story
The Polite House The Polite House: How Can I Kindly Get Party Guests to Use Coasters?
Here’s how to handle the age-old entertaining conundrum to protect your furniture — and friendships
Full Story
Decorating Guides Play Tricks With Color in Your All-White Room
Splash something unexpected into your sea of white to call attention to a favorite piece or just for fun
Full Story
Product Picks Guest Picks: Contemporary Lighting for All Kinds of Needs
Task lamps, floor lamps, pendants ... Whether you’re reading in bed or want a glow overhead, there’s a light here for you
Full Story
Native Plants What’s in a Name? See 6 Wildflowers That Aren’t ‘Weeds’ at All
Dispel the stereotypes of weeds and try these wildlife-supporting native wildflowers in your garden
Full Story
Room of the Day Room of the Day: Black, White and Red All Over
Custom fabric, heirlooms, bold color and a beloved collection of books cozy up this farmhouse library
Full Story