SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pearlsandjeans

Rug or No Rug in the Dining Room?

pearlsandjeans
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We replaced our wall-to-wall carpet with hardwood floors a year ago and originally had no intention of putting a rug underneath our dining room table. I still like the look, but am having second thoughts because of how much noisier our house is without many soft surfaces. But our house is small and this is the only space that has an expanse of floor without a rug and I like it not being broken up. I think I need some objective opinions.

The third picture shows the view from our living room (two rugs in there) which is the room our front door opens into. The other two pictures are just taken from different angles. (Actually, the picture from the living room that shows more of the floor won't load for some reason. ) There would be very little floor space between a rug that's an appropriate size and the large armoir and the cupboard.

If I do decide to get a rug, I'm wondering if I should go with something very neutral that would kind of blend with my floors and look more seamless, or if I should take the opportunity to add warmth and color. Most of my decor is blues and greens, with only a couple of doses of red here and there, like the buffet.

Thank you for your help!

Comments (37)