Netflix show with the Fab Five--'Qu**r Eye'

margaux

This wouldn't post with the name of the show 'Qu**r Eye' in the title so I modified it.

This season of Qu**r Eye is their best. They tackle a wide variety of social issues. The guys select people to "transform" in areas of the South and are in St. Louis this season. It's interesting to see how some who have never had any contact with gay men embrace the Fab Five. That human connection across, race, gender, culture, and sexual orientation gives me hope of a better America.

Last night we watched the episode with a Hispanic woman living in Kansas City. Her dream was to start a Hispanic Arts Foundation. She was born in the US and grew up in a middle-class white community and never felt fully accepted by either whites or Hispanics. As an adult she made an effort to learn about her Mexican culture and now she fully embraces it. She and her husband and children live in a middle-class white neighborhood and she had put her guard up because of an incident with a neighbor. Her husband built a stone wall on their property and her neighbor remarked something about how great it was that Mexicans were building their own wall. Remembering that remark had her in tears and made her feel that her neighbors didn't really welcome her. For one, they were low-rider enthusiasts and have several "bouncy" cars in their driveway when friends and family visited. They know they don't fit the mold. Another time she was in a store and a man hit her in the back with a broom and told her to go back to Mexico. I hope that people from her community and communities like hers who watch this episode see that there are real people who are harmed by the rhetoric.

She runs a Latino Arts Festival and with the support of the Fab Five, she went door to door to her neighbors to give them a flyer to invite them to the festival. To some she spoke of why she didn't know if her family was welcomed in the neighborhood and they all reassured her. She could not bring herself to go to the neighbor who made the wall remark though.

I hope that people in these conservative communities that are featured will watch the show and begin to see that there's a human being inside the facade, whether we're gay, transgender, Hispanic, or different in other ways, and that we all want to feel accepted for who we are. And that we all feel the same pain when we are not.

The woman with the hairspray the Season 4 trailer is the one we watched last night.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80160037

SaveComment45Like6
Comments (45)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Delilah66

margaux, it's countdown to the first negative comment on people who identify as Hispanic.

(Pssst, remind them the US government allows them to do so with every census.)

1 Like Save    
leona_2008

I have seen them on a couple of late night shows recently. Love their personalities and their camaraderie. I can see how they could help open some closed-minds. Would love to watch their show but we recently gave up Netflix.

1 Like Save    
elvis

I love those guys. But! William has got to get some better dresses, the ones he's using are butt ugly.

Save    
queenmargo

Love their personalities and their camaraderie. I can see how they could help open some closed-minds.

I agree.

Save    
margaux

They do open minds. In the trailer there's a man who says he has never talked to a gay guy before. They are all hugging each other by the end of every episode.

In my experience you can stereotype and make fun of people but once you get to know a person who is different than you, those stereotypes and jokes don't sit well anymore. That's why I often wonder if those who stereotype and joke (William's dress???) do know people who are different than them.

There is no William on the show.

3 Likes Save    
woodnymph2_gw

I caught this show years ago and absolutely loved it. Great camaraderie and I agree their humor can definitely open closed minds.

Save    
margaux

Last season there was a black gay man who had grown up in the church and sung in the choir, and when he came out, he didn't feel welcomed there any more. His mother didn't accept his sexual identity either. His mother came to accept him and he returned to the church and sang with the choir.

I don't understand why we treat other humans so badly. Are we not able to feel others' pain? Does it somehow make us feel better about ourselves when we cause that pain?

5 Likes Save    
margaux

I think this is an entirely different focus than the old show, woodnymph. It's not so much about makeovers but about healing the spirit.

Save    
queenmargo

I don't understand why we treat other humans so badly. Are we not able to feel others' pain? Does it somehow make us feel better about ourselves when we cause that pain?

Yet, you do not mind treating Trump supporters badly. Does it make you feel better when you do?

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

In one breath you speak of healing the spirit and then the next breath you are divisive in your language to others who do not think like you.

2 Likes Save    
margaux

If others think it's okay to hurt people based on their race, sexuality, culture, etc. than they are the dividers.

5 Likes Save    
cattyles

We don’t treat trump supporters badly. You choose to personalize and defend what is said about trump.

6 Likes Save    
woodnymph2_gw

Margaux, glad to hear it. I've not seen the new show yet.

2 Likes Save    
margaux

Margie, you choose to be a Trump supporter. Someone who is black, Mexican, gay or any of the other human traits we discriminate against does not choose to be different.

Save    
queenmargo

This is just another virtue signaling thread. There is some self admiration going on here. Talk of spirit healing and then point at others for division. Where does this self grandiose come from?

Save    
queenmargo

Margie, you choose to be a Trump supporter. Someone who is black, Mexican, gay or any of the other human traits we discriminate against does not choose to be different.

Yes, I choose to be a Trump supporter. So do many blacks, Mexicans, and gay people. What is your point?

1 Like Save    
margaux

I'm done making it about you. It's about the show. Moving on.....

5 Likes Save    
queenmargo

LOL- outwit- outlast- outplay

Funny how you give up when you can not answer lol lol

Save    
Delilah66

Thank you Margaux.

2 Likes Save    
nannygoat18

I love how this show has evolved into revealing more humanity (rather than heroism) of the Fab Five, particularly when Tan shared his internalized homophobia with Wesley of "Disabled, but not really."

But I did not love how it portrayed disabled people. It's not a negative, it's an identity, just like being Caucasian or queer. If it makes you pause to hear "Caucasian, but not really" or "Queer, but not really," then you should have the same reaction to "Disabled, but not really."

It was a missed opportunity to show that disability is not the problem: it's how society treats people with disabilities. The scene with Tan could have been an opportunity to discuss disability pride, to consider that being disabled is not worse than being able-bodied, that often there's internalized shame about being disabled that makes a person believe that they are deficient simply because their bodies work differently.

Save    
elvis

There is no William on the show.

Thanks, marg. I meant Jonathan. Don't know how I did that.

Save    
elvis

cattyles

We don’t treat trump supporters badly.

Oh, my sides!

2 Likes Save    
cattyles

I always mean to watch this show and then forget. I’m going to put it on my list before I forget.

3 Likes Save    
margaux

Jonathan doesn't do the fashion advice. He does hair. Tan does fashion.

So here's exactly what I'm talking about, elvis. Jonathan is "out there" with his clothing selection. He is "exploring gender identities" from what I've read online. So you've picked that one thing out from the show and you've chosen to mock it. Why?

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

I think elvis told you. The dresses in her opinion are butt ugly. Not mocking.

1 Like Save    
Prim Rose

I don't have Netflix, but thanks for the review. I'll try to catch the series on DVD from the library.

Save    
margaux

I choose to focus on the person inside the dress.

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Well margaux that is your choice but it is still a makeover show.

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

I like David Bromsted, but I still make fun of his attire at times. Should I treat him any different than a straight person?

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Getting the name wrong. Using it to work in a butt joke.

Inspirational

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

LOL Ziemia- I just got it lol lol ....really I never put it together until now lol My mind never went there ...

Save    
Pidge_

I love Jonathan! Also Tan, Bobby, Antony (sp), and Karamo. They make my heart sing with their incredible generosity and kindness. I don't think Jonathan's clothes are the least bit ugly. He's having fun with them and I am always eager to see what he'll be getting into next. I have lots of gay friends but none of them are as flamboyant as Jonathan.

The current iteration of the show is so much better than the first. As margaux said above, this series is about healing the spirit rather than changing the basic person being helped. The team finds the core of the person and brings it into the open. People are not made to feel bad about things they've done that haven't gone well, but to feel good about that of which they are capable.

7 Likes Save    
Prim Rose

What season should I look for? 2018?

Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,maifleur,others(8a)

This show is one of our favourites! “Can’t fix ugly” broke my heart. My daughter has watched the firefighter episode probably 6 times lol.

I first watched an episode expecting it to be potato chips. Instead it’s poutine: still kind of “junk food” but also really nourishing :-D

It’s a do-not-miss binge watch in our house.

Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,maifleur,others(8a)

Prom Rose, start at season 1 episode 1 if you can. You’ll want to watch them all anyway!

1 Like Save    
Joaniepoanie

I have not watched this new version, but I loved the old cast. What day/time is it on?

And just gotta say.....the right needs to stop the victimhood. As far as “treating badly” the right gives as good as they get here, if not more so.

4 Likes Save    
sushipup1

It's on Netflix, any time and any day.

2 Likes Save    
margaux

Yes, start with the first season. That was a good one too. There will be some stories that aren't as touching as others. The guys also reveal some of their past struggles in different shows too.

Save    
Pidge_

The guys also reveal some of their past struggles in different shows too.

I recall the first ep and what Bobby revealed about his past. I have been sympathetic to him ever since. He doesn't always get as much screen time as the others, but he creates new worlds every week.

2 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Thanks Sushipup.

Save    
Tilly Teabag

Yes, we need to get to know people as individuals. Fear is the enemy there.

Save    
elvis

margaux

Jonathan doesn't do the fashion advice. He does hair. Tan does fashion.

So here's exactly what I'm talking about, elvis. Jonathan is "out there" with his clothing selection. He is "exploring gender identities" from what I've read online. So you've picked that one thing out from the show and you've chosen to mock it. Why?

Not at all, marg. Jonathan's choice to wear dresses is just plain fun. My comment is that his dress choices are butt ugly. Either he's not getting advice, or he's ignoring it. That's not "mocking", that outright criticism of his butt ugly dress choices. My opinion. Shrug.

1 Like Save    
margaux

Okay. Not quite where I expected the thread to go as I was addressing the social issues that they tackle in my OP.

1 Like Save    
Prim Rose

Someone who has fashion sense and .... a bit of culture - doesn't say "butt ugly" as many times as they can get it into a post.

That also is not a valid criticism. It is one, shrug worthy, opinion.

Save    
queenmargo

Well lah di dah!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Tastemakers ‘Queer Eye’ Designer Bobby Berk on Meaningful Makeovers
Before Netflix streams season 2 episodes June 15, we talk with Berk about designing for happiness and finding your style
Full Story
Pets Houzz Call: Show Us Your One-of-a-Kind Chicken Coops
Do you have a fun or stylish backyard shelter for your feathered friends? Post your pictures and stories in the Comments!
Full Story
Architecture On Show: Weird, Wondrous Science Meets Design
Houses grown, not built. Power-generating soil. And snail poop that ... well, see for yourself in our coverage of a new Rotterdam exhibit
Full Story