SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_722127203

Help Decide Kitchen Layout and ....?

lulu bella
4 years ago

Here is the floor plan for my kitchen. This is the original builder floor plan we found (townhouse is about 20-25 years old). The flooring is tile and we do have about 15 extras . I would like to keep the flooring.

Background story- the house was decently maintained but certainly not updated and cabinetry is builder grade . Solid, but not lovely or my choosing. I entertained refacing and or painting, but we think we will change the layout and it starts not being worth it.

WHOLE AREA IS 19 by 14 ft 8 in. To the left is Family room.

We don't entertain often, but when we do we are very informal and l I guess we got used to doing these buffet style. So at least for now the peninsula works for that.

There are no uppers above the peninsula; it is open . The countertop extends 12 inches on peninsula so it is 36 inches wide and 8 feet long.

First part - definitely want to get sink out of the corner. It is 21 inches (interior) which surprisingly is not too too small but it is very shallow.

Option 1 is to keep general layout but make the peninsula a right angle and put sink along peninsula with dishwasher. I am not certain if I will keep the overhang on the peninsula. We also thought about maybe shifting the peninsula like 6 inches or 12 inches further towards the patio door to expand the U area.

Option 2 is to remove peninsula entirely and have cabinetry and sink go all along the wall that range is on. The issue is then that it is a long stretch and it seems an island would then be needed for workspace or for serving . The other thing is we really prefer to eat at a table. If I had a lot of space I would love counter seating at the island AND a table but if I have to choose I would go for table seating. IS that too cramped?

Still with me?

The other ideas which carry through to either option--

The area next to pantry closet (which is 53 inches wide and 24 inches deep) ---

A----should I move the fridge there? This would open up that run when you first enter the kitchen and give a lot more counter space there....... but even with a counterdepth fridge, it's going to just out in the new location when you enter. Also, not sure what else could go with the fridge if I move it. IT's more space than the fridge but really not enough to use for anything I can think of.

B- If I don't move the fridge there should I get a piece of furniture to serve as a coffee bar catchall and maybe some shelves above it OR should I get cabinetry there ( I have visions of glass uppers for display).

Although we came from a much larger house and kitchen we are actually ok storage wise. I would love display area (so some glass cabinetry or shelves) for pretty pottery and such that I have, as well as possibly some books.

So to summarize-

Keep peninsula?

Extend cabinetry all along wall?

Move fridge?

And then when we figure out layout- are you ready for this??? I can't decide if I want off white or cinnamony maple.

You asked- I shared. and I am forever grateful.

Comments (136)