SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrb451

Do You Turn off your Home's Water Supply when Traveling?

jrb451
4 years ago

In the last year we've had the water supply to our refrigerator's ice maker burst spraying water all over the kitchen floor. Fortunately we were home and have a tile kitchen floor. Then, about a month ago, the water supply to one of the toilets burst spraying water everywhere. Again we were home and the bath has a tile floor so damage was minimal. We did replace with a metal sleeved supply line. (Our plumber said the kind we had typically failed around 10 years.)

Either event would have caused substantial damage had we been away from home on a trip. I'm thinking I should turn off the water supply to the house on our next trip. Do you do this when you're going to be away for awhile? Have you ever come home to a flooded house?

TIA

Comments (50)

• User
    4 years ago

Absolutely, I have always turned the water supply off. I also turn off the television power supplies. TV's are one of the most common causes of house fires.

jrb451 thanked User
  • dadoes
    4 years ago

I turn off the water supply to the house (at the water well tank), yes.

jrb451 thanked dadoes
  • Related Discussions

Do you turn your chicken when roasting?

Q

Comments (28)
    I did initially, breast side down, then midway through baking breast side up. Stopped doing that as it's something of a hassle and the chickens were fine... but last time I did turn it - my personal experience was that it was far more moist throughout - I had forgotten how much more, and makes for better leftovers, but that's just my opinion. I do cook mine in a CSO (cuisinart steam oven), and still have to cover the breast area with foil so it won't get too dark. Islay, my DH wants to marry you ; ) Bacon. I think that's all I need to say : )
    ...See More

Turning water off when you're away

Q

Comments (22)
    There was a house for sale across the street from me in 2008. It was one of those project houses...needed a total gut job. A nice couple bought it as an investment house. They toiled all spring and summer fixing up the house. The did a fabulous job. New hardwood maple flooring, real plaster walls (instead of drywall--they wanted to stay true to the age of the house), fabulous wood trim. It was an extremely nice DIY renovation. The DIY couple, rented the house out in August to a 20 something couple that worked at a local university. All was good. The young couple fit in our neighborhood great and they seemed happy. Christmas 2008. The young couple goes away for 2 weeks to visit family. When they get home after New Year's they find the house completely flooded. The plaster walls and ceiling have fallen down. The lovely maple floors are in waves. All of their belongs are ruined. Mold is growing up the walls. They go around to the neighbors asking for help. Young couple has no real tools, or even a decent mop. The entire neighborhood pitches into to help them out. We give the young couple a place to stay. The landlords finally arrive...having to the longest 10 hour drive of their lives to get back and see the mess. Turns out a pipe burst in an upstairs bathroom because it was on an outside wall and wasn't insulated correctly. The house is deemed uninhabitable until repairs are made. The young couple finds a new place to live. The landlords start the fight with the insurance company. Their claim is denied. They get a lawyer and continue to fight. Eventually, the claim is accepted. The landlord couple spends the entire summer of 2009 doing what they just did a year ago. A new young couple moves in August 2009. But this year will be different because the landlords installed an automatic shut off leak detection valve. They told us it was pretty expensive but it sure beats doing the rehab yet again. Now, when we go away, we turn the water off at the main, open the faucets and flush the toilets. We have our heat on and have neighbors check on our cat daily. We don't drain anything, but at least if something bursts the water can't just continue to run. So far so good. I will never forget walking into the house across the street last winter. Seeing the plaster walls, insulation and everything from the 2nd floor on the 1st floor with mold growing up the walls was one of those visions I'll remember forever. I'd really like to get one of the automatic leak detector valves for my house too.
    ...See More

Why so many turns to get the water supply off to the water hea

Q

Comments (2)
    If it is a gate valve it will take several turns to completely open or close it. Does it look similar to the attached picture? If you have enough buildup in the bottom of the water heater, it won't drain. Your pressure relieve discharge piping is not installed correctly. Here is a link to some good info: TPR valves and discharge piping
    ...See More

Do Electric water heaters from plumbing supply differ from home depot

Q

Comments (7)
    You could always get one of the more expensive heaters and see if it lasts longer. There is a reason why the 12 year models say they are 12 year and the 6 year models say they are 6 year. You could also buy and aluminum anode and install it in whatever heater you got if that is what you want. Rheems usually are good so you might just either have bad luck or bad water corroding it. Installing them is not hard but you may find some fun surprises, like the connection to the water heater being corroded to the point of not being able to loosen it. So you may have to do more than just loosen the nuts and electrical and replace the heater, some repair to the water lines might be needed.
    ...See More
  • Fun2BHere
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Unfortunately, if I turn off the water supply to the house, then I turn it off to the landscape irrigation, so the water stays on. I do turn off the water to the ice maker and turn off the ice maker. I have metal hoses on all water-related items.

The copper line to my water heater and my ice maker have sprung leaks. In both cases, I was home and caught them early.

jrb451 thanked Fun2BHere
  • joyfulguy
    4 years ago

Turn off the power to the water pump (and electronics, etc.).

Open a tap to reduce pressure in cold and hot water tanks and (old) pipes.

Good idea to turn off valves on both hot and cold lines to washers after each use, as well.

ole joyful

jrb451 thanked joyfulguy
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

I don't, for two main reasons:

1) In other than wintertime, I don't want to turn off water to outdoor irrigation, and

2) I don't bother to turn off my two gas water heaters when we'll be away. Should a pipe or other leak develop when the main supply is turned off, that can drain a water heater and cause additional damage and problems.

The only problems I've had, and it's happened a couple of times, is that a sprinkler valve can break or otherwise get stuck open and one or more stations will run incessantly. I've been notified when that happened and was able to dispatch a friend to shut off the valve on the sprinkler supply pipe. But not always notified quickly. The last time, the water had run for several weeks and by the time it was turned off, the "damage" on my water bill was many hundred dollars. I know that if that happens inside, it's a hassle but covered by insurance.

jrb451 thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • aok27502
    4 years ago

Yes, if we're going to be gone overnight. The well pump is on a simple switch so it's easy to just flip the switch off. If there was any sort of leak it would be limited to what's in the pipes.

jrb451 thanked aok27502
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

maire cate, what if a fire starts because the water heater has emptied and the safety controls on it malfunction?

I think many of you may have water heaters in basements and if so, the likelihood of a water leak causing a running or siphon out of the heater is low or maybe not even possible. As with most houses in the West, I don't have a basement and many of the pipes are lower than the water heaters so having a leak drain them is quite possible. I've even heard of some houses that have water heaters in the attic.

I could probably have a bypass put in as you describe but I don't think it would be worth the effort in my situation.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

I have never turned off my water when traveling.......or much of anything else. Never had any leaks and no other issues either.

Have had a hot water heater sprink a leak but that was because it was old. And it was located in an unfinished basement so although there was several inches of water accumulated, there was minimal damage. Fire department came and pumped it out.

jrb451 thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Lars
    4 years ago

It never occurred to me to turn off water supply, and I need the sprinkler system to work when I am away, which I am right now. We turned off the thermostat and that's all. The hottest our house gets without cooling is 77-78 degrees. Without heat the coldest it has gotten is 65 degrees.

We have a new house in Cathedral City, and we turn the thermostat to 83 degrees when we are not there, but that's the only adjustment we make.

jrb451 thanked Lars
  • jrb451
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I neglected to mention that back in 2012 we returned from trip to find discoloration in the wood flooring and the presence of mold in the closet of an unused bedroom. Turns out the water line in the wall to an outside faucet had a small leak (maybe freeze damage?) and had run down the wall and under the flooring. No telling how long that had gone on. Insurance paid to replace the flooring in that room and down the hall, repair the sheet rock and dry clean all the clothing. I had to pay to fix the leak.

I noticed in renewing my HO policy this year that State Farm was now excluding coverage of damage from "continuous, repeating, gradual, intermittent, slow, or trickling seepage or leakage of water". I guess they were paying out for a lot of these events.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    4 years ago

No, I don't travel, good idea to though.

Sue

jrb451 thanked Marilyn Sue McClintock
  • maire_cate
    4 years ago

Elmer - our water heater has automatic shut off (with a battery back-up) if water is detected in the pan that it sits on. But when we aren't going to be home we also shut off the water heater.

jrb451 thanked maire_cate
  • dadoes
    4 years ago

Had an instance years ago in a different house, stepping out the door for work, heard an odd splashing noise. Almost dismissed it but went to investigate, found the fill/dip-tube inside the tank on a toilet had split open. Water was both filling the tank to overflowing, and spraying full-force up toward the lid which was spraying out under the lid onto the wall. I wouldn't, of course, have turned the water off when leaving for work ... but memory of that incident always comes forth when leaving for a couple+ days.

My water heater is tankless, requires water flow to activate.

jrb451 thanked dadoes
  • Kathsgrdn
    4 years ago

No and getting ready to go on a long vacation.

jrb451 thanked Kathsgrdn
  • Tootsie
    4 years ago

We do turn off the water. The only issue we had is a connector to the washer burst when the water was turned back on! Caught it immediately and no damage.

jrb451 thanked Tootsie
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

What I had in mind was a pipe break or a leak anywhere, not necessarily just a leaking heater tank.

Maire cate, my water heaters are also in containment pans but the drain lines drain to the outside by gravity. Again, I will guess your's is in a basement, it's a different animal. I have no risk of water damage if they leak, but perhaps fire damage if their safety sensors don't function and they're empty. I'll let the water run to avoid that problem.

• nicole___
    4 years ago

Yes! We turn the water supply off. We do not have a sprinkler system at "this" house. It's a pine tree wooded .....acreage lot.

jrb451 thanked nicole___
  • DawnInCal
    4 years ago

Yes, we do. A few years ago, we were gone for three weeks after my brother died suddenly and unexpectedly. While we were gone, the line to the ice maker froze, cracked and started leaking water. I don't know how long it was leaking after we left, but by the time we returned home, our kitchen floor was destroyed as was the carpet in the living room. Water had started to wick up the sheetrock in the kitchen and damaged the oak baseboard. The water also caused damage to the ceiling in the garage below the kitchen. The cost of repairs was over $15,000 and we were unable to live in our house for two months. We now not only shut off the water, we drain the pipes.

Like nicole, we live on a wooded parcel (no landscaping that needs to be watered) and we have a tankless on-demand water heater so we are not storing water in a large tank that could fail. For me, the peace of mind is worth the slight inconvenience of turning the water off and turning it back on again when we return.

jrb451 thanked DawnInCal
  • aok27502
    4 years ago

My boss's husband is a stickler for following the rules. He says that your homeowners insurance requires that you turn off the valves to your washing machine when it is not in use, so they do that. I told them they must be the only people on the planet to do that.

jrb451 thanked aok27502
  • OklaMoni
    4 years ago

I turn the water to the washing machine and toilet off, don't have a dish washer, and so far, hadn't thought of the ice maker. Have that on my list now.

jrb451 thanked OklaMoni
  • Adella Bedella
    4 years ago

No. Having good neighbors who have your phone numbers and also having someone check your house while you're gone will catch problems faster.

• maire_cate
    4 years ago

Elmer - our water heater and HVAC are in a closet in the laundry room which is on the first floor between the kitchen and the garage. The drain line does drain to the outside by gravity. We've had 2 different plumbing contractors work here and both of them said that the drain could handle a minor leak .They still recommended we shut off the water and power to the unit in case of a major leak which the drain line couldn't handle allowing the water to overflow and damage our hardwood floors.

It only takes a few minutes to shut off the water and power.

We've also discovered acorns stuffed into the drain line where it empties into the flower bed. Apparently the chipmunks thought it was a nice little storage space. So we had to put a wire screen over the opening.

jrb451 thanked maire_cate
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Okay, bad guess.

You say you shut off water and power to the unit? My gas water heaters are the old fashioned/conventional atmospheric vent through exhaust stack ones and they have no power connections. That must mean you have a power vent gas unit or an electric heater. I'll guess this one isn't a bad guess. ;-)

As I said, my concern isn't leaks (which usually start off slow anyway) but rather operation when less than full. Or worse, empty.

• kathyg_in_mi
    4 years ago

Always turn off the well pump and turn down the temp on the water heater when leaving for on over night.

When we go to Florida we have a plumber come in after we have left and he shuts down the house. Drains pipes, puts in antifreeze, etc. So worth it. He reopens the hose before we come home. $115 for each time, but we have peace of mind.

DH's Aunt went to Florida for 2 weeks, a neighbor was checking the house every day. Well one day the neighbor went in and there was water running down the hall way, into the carpeted bedrooms, living room and kitchen (hard wood floors under all the carpet) and running down the basement stairs, which was finished.

Turns out the tank on the back of the toilet broke and of course it kept running! This was back in the 80's. The insurance paid for everything EXCEPT to replace the toilet!

I never want to go thru that!

jrb451 thanked kathyg_in_mi
  • wildchild2x2
    4 years ago

The only valves I turn off are the ones to the washer. Sometimes. To me worrying about a disastrous plumbing incident occurring just because I am away for a week or two or even three is uncalled for anxiety. That could happen just by my being away for one day. I could also worry about an electrical fire. Should we turn off all power too? The neighbor's house could catch fire and a burning ember land on mine. There could be a massive earthquake while I am away. Nope. not going to let what ifs hold me back.

Good household maintenance is the best policy.

• Oliviag
    4 years ago

we do turn off the house . irrigation is separate.
    ive had too many friends wirh flood stories to not follow our plan.

jrb451 thanked Oliviag
  • marylmi
    4 years ago

If I go for overnight or longer, I turn the water pump off. If a storm is brewing, I unplug the TV and laptop if it's plugged in.

jrb451 thanked marylmi
  • maddielee
    4 years ago

Yes, we do. After having a flood last year (refrigerator line split) we had a valve installed so it’s easy to turn off the water.

jrb451 thanked maddielee
  • Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse
    4 years ago

One small child's sock caused a pipe blockage (don't ask me how it got there, the best guess is that it accidentally got flushed??) which led to a geyser coming up through the laundry standpipe, water damage to the carpet, water damage to the drywall/sheetrock, water damage to the insulation-stuff behind the drywall/sheetrock, and one homeowners insurance claim - we paid to have the blockage fixed by a plumber and our deductible, the plumber was helpful and put us in contact with a water remediation company who came out the same day to begin 'mitigating the damage' which our insurance company requires us to do as soon as the problem is discovered (we must mitigate the damage, and it must be an unforeseeable incident - thankfully they considered a kid's sock caused pipe blockage to be unforeseeable...and now we're more vigilant about where dirty socks and such go...which is NOWHERE NEAR THE TOILET OR OTHER PLUMBING LINE ACCESS. :P)...

Oh, and while the basement was being put back together after that, the water heater had had to be disconnected, upon reconnecting it once it had refilled - a valve blew and the thing started spewing water all over. I had to run across the street to get a neighbor because I wasn't tall enough to reach the shutoff and the mister was still at work. Workers came back, cleaned up the mess and set up the giant fans again for the weekend, no hot water until Monday (this happened on a Friday) which was the earliest that they could get a new water heater installed.

If we ever go out of town for long enough that the water needs to be shut off...okay (lol) that's unlikely to happen so that's all I've got. ;P

jrb451 thanked Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse
  • vinmarks
    4 years ago

Nope.

jrb451 thanked vinmarks
  • arkansas girl
    4 years ago

I always turn off the water when I go on vacation. But, a lot of damage could still be done even if you are just gone for the day. Oh good, something new to worry about...HAHA!

jrb451 thanked arkansas girl
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    4 years ago

We have a shut off valve on our washer which we use. We have water bugs in a few prime locations, but we can't turn the water off as we leave our cats in the house and a pet sitter comes to tend to them every day and needs the water on to wash their dishes and give them fresh water...but then she's here to check everything to see it's ok.

A friend was away for a week when her washer hose blew and flooded her whole downstairs...it was a real mess. She was on public water so it ran the whole time. Another friend was away and the kid who was caring for their dog forgot to turn off the outside water valve and the water running nonstop burned out his water pump.

So yeah, stuff happens.

jrb451 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Debby
    4 years ago

Anything we don't use that plugs in (except fridge and stove) gets unplugged and water is turned off. Except this last vacation because my son housesat for us. :)

jrb451 thanked Debby
  • graywings123
    4 years ago

Experiencing a blown washer hose really opens your eyes. Fortunately we were home at the time.

jrb451 thanked graywings123
  • satine_gw
    4 years ago

How do you turn off the water to your house? I don't know how to do that. My washer and dryer are in a closet and the turn off valves are behind the units--impossible to get to. I have turn off valves for the toilets and kitchen sink but not the entire house. I also have either a pet sitter staying at my house or someone coming in twice a day for the cat.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

satine, whether your water comes from a water system or you have a well, there must always be a valve on the main supply line that turns off the water to a structure. Everyone should know where that is.

If you can't find yours, maybe you can ask for help locating it the next time a handyman or plumber comes to your house. The shutoff valves need to be accessible and visible so yours must be around somewhere.

• lulu bella
    4 years ago

We were told we should, but somehow we never think of it. Thankfully, it's not been an issue for us. I do think it is wise to do it and maybe sometime in the future we will do that.

• T B
    4 years ago

We've only turned off the water to the washing machine and had friends check on our place in the past... We're in the midst of a big renovation right now, though, and have decided to install the Moen Flo system (it's not in yet, so I can't vouch for it). It's supposed to monitor water flow, detect and identify the location of leaks, and will shut off the water supply in the event of a large event. Thought those on this thread might be interested in checking it out.

• cat_ky
    4 years ago

Satine, could your main water supply be at the water meter near the road, like ours is. I have a special tool, to turn the water off, if necessary. Also have a switch located right above the water heater to shut it off too.

• User
    4 years ago

Satine, depends on your location, if you're in a temperate climate that main shutoff valve is likely to be outside at a point closest to the water main. If you're in a cold climate it's probably in the basement.

I remember my parents turning off the water before trips so I just consider it the standard thing to do.

Annie - what are water bugs?

• Mystical Manns
    4 years ago

I always turn off water to the house when I'm away. It's true my insurance would cover any damages if something happened, but I'd hate to go through all that hassle when it could've been avoided. I'm never gone more than a couple weeks.

• chisue
    4 years ago

If we turned off our water at the main, we'd have to remember to turn off the hot water recirculating pump, too. (Water-cooled.)

We have two gas fired water heaters and a small boiler that feeds under-floor heat. I guess we'd need to turn off the gas to these, too?

Our only water problem has been due to a toilet where the flap failed in our absence. The toilet 'refreshed' itself constantly, resulting in a $500 water bill for that quarter.

We had another big bill one year when there was a slow leak in the irrigation system one summer. The bill was the first we knew of it.

• Annegriet
    4 years ago

YES--at the main. Coming to a flood or a $500 water bill would take all the joy out of my vacation.

• jemdandy
    4 years ago

When leaving for a trip, I turn the water off and turn the control on the gas water heater to pilot-only. When I return, I re-pressurize the water system and turn the water heater control back to full on. I also flush the water lines to remove air, debris, and stale water.

My wife's sister and her husband went away for a weekend to come home to a flooded basement and huge water bill. The water line to the washer burst and someone had left a towel over the floor drain. Water rose until it ran over the lip to the sump pump well, however, things sitting on the basement floor was thoroughly soaked. They pleaded with the City for relief on the water bill. The City did reduce, but not excuse all of the excess over their normal billing.

An associate of mine at work had water damage while he was at this day job. His wife was away and someone turned on his outside faucet and left it running. There was some erosion damage, but the worst was the water bill.

jrb451 thanked jemdandy
  • jrb451
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for all the responses. More do this than I thought. I guess I'm the outlier. I need to start and you've given me the impetus to do this on my future trips.

• satine_gw
    4 years ago

I believe the water turnoff is located outside in the court where I live. I believe it takes a special tool to turn it off. I will ask my handyman to check it out for me. As I said I can't turn my washer supply off because of where it is located. I live in a one floor home with no basement.

• dadoes
    4 years ago

Bad situation for a washer's water supply faucets to be inaccessible.

• jemdandy
    4 years ago

Surely, there is a way to shut off your water. You need to shut off the water to change washer hoses, work on sinks and toilets, etc. Locate your water meter. There should be two shutoff valves, one in the feedline to the meter and another in the water line leaving the meter that supplies the house. These two valves are needed to change out the meter. In my town, meters are changed out every 10 years for calibration and/or updates.

In my state, there is a 3rd shutoff not accessible to the homeowner and it does require a special tool. This valve is buried at the lot line where your supply line connects to the city or association supply. Its at the lot line were city/utility employees may turn off the water without entering your property and do not have to get a court order.

About your washer hoses. Trace your washer hose from the back of the washer to its source. Normally, these hoses (hot and cold water) are connected to a faucet or valve and may be behind the washer. A nice installation places these valves above the washer so they can be reached without moving the washer.

jrb451 thanked jemdandy
  • maifleur01
    4 years ago

I have two turnoffs after the inside water meter. I do not know why there are two within 4 feet of each other but the house came that way. A good reason to turn off things like washing machines is that if the valve is not opened and closed it may not be able to turn off if something needs to be fixed. When I replaced my washer the plumber was unable to close the faucet that the washer was connected to. I had a hard time turning off one of the valves and although the helper was able to close that one he insisted on closing the other one.

For those that turn the water off when they leave would you even hear the water running if a line did break if you were home? Dishwasher line broke once and until I stepped in the warm water had no idea that there was a problem.

jrb451 thanked maifleur01