SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenfanatic2003

Not sure if I potted agave appropriately

I bought an Agave desmettiana on ebay. I've bought succulents online and received and potted them bare root before so I generally know what I'm doing. But I'm unsure about this situation. The plant I received is over a foot in diameter so it's a good-sized plant, but was obviously an offset that had never been previously potted or planted in the ground on its own because 10 to 12 inches of the root that attached it to the mother plant was attached. I cut off part of it because that made it too big to fit in my pot. Then I left the plant sit for a few days to callous over before I potted it.

When I went to pot it four of the lower leaves had discolored and were shrivelling up. I've never had that happen before so I wasn't sure what to do. I cut off the worst looking Leaf which also happened to be the lowest leaf and put the plant in the pot. I wasn't sure how deep to put it because it wasn't obvious how deep it had been in the ground previously.

So my questions are:

1. Is it possible to kill an agave by planting it too deeply?
  2. Eventually when the three shriveled leaves look completely gone and I cut them off, can I put more soil in the pot so I don't have bare stem at the bottom of the plant?
  3. Since the plant didn't have a normal root system when I got it, Does that mean it will develop a normal root system or is it too large of a plant already to do that?
  4. Did I do the right thing by leaving most of the "mother root" on it?

I just potted this Agave last night so if I should have done it differently I can easily take it out of the pot and change something. It's a beautiful plant so I would absolutely hate to lose it. I've been wanting one like it for a few years now. Thanks!

Deanna

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County